Romney and Ryan Broke Wisconsin Campaign Laws

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
It might be subtle but I don't think them offering free sandwiches is the same as going out and handing people free sandwiches, as was the case with cigarettes and Gore.

People had to come to them, they didn't go out and give people something and tell them to vote. The people showing up to this were probably all supporters anyways so its no convincing to say that they were buying votes. Different when you go out and approach people on the street and offer something free and then ask them to vote.

Again, very subtle difference that might come into play.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
"Voters should vote because they care about the issues in the process, not because they get a sandwich or a free beer," Magney said.
But getting free stuff is pretty much the only election issue left these days.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Silly but nice that karma came back to bite the previous whiners on the ass.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
This is just stupid.

Obama the Fool, gives billions of tax dollars away to buy votes, and the MSM is concerned about this?

Stupid, just stupid.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
This is just stupid.

Obama the Fool, gives billions of tax dollars away to buy votes, and the MSM is concerned about this?

Stupid, just stupid.

I agree it is a small thing but your MSM comment shows you are completely clueless. Per the underlying article it is clearly a violation of existing law. The infamous Governor Walker made a big deal out of an allegedly violation of the same law by a Democratic party operative in 2008, why shouldn't the Democrats turn the table when the presumptive nominee and the GOP poster boy are both gleefully on camera clearly violating the same law.

Like I said before, karma.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
But getting free stuff is pretty much the only election issue left these days.

That was pretty good :D

Pretty sad when politicians are threatened by a sandwich or smoke for that matter. If a vote is that cheap maybe the real issue isn't the tasty treat

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
That was pretty good :D

Pretty sad when politicians are threatened by a sandwich or smoke for that matter. If a vote is that cheap maybe the real issue isn't the tasty treat

Noone claims they were threatened, clearly the Dems filed their complaint in retribution for Walker's complaint in 2008 (with the bonus of embarassing Romney and his BFF Ryan). This is one of those "bright line" laws. The legislature wanted to outlaw vote buying, so they declared giving voters anything worth more than $1 is illegal. No debate allowed whether the item actually bought the vote. The law is a good law but I would liken this to getting a ticket for rolling through a no turn on red sign at 3 AM in a deserted area-despite the fact Romney and Ryan specifically ran this event to reward people who voted for Romney in the primary. So not only did they violate the letter of the law they violated it's spirit. Presumedly neither was aware of this law but we all know how good a defense ignorance of the law is.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It might be subtle but I don't think them offering free sandwiches is the same as going out and handing people free sandwiches, as was the case with cigarettes and Gore.

People had to come to them, they didn't go out and give people something and tell them to vote. The people showing up to this were probably all supporters anyways so its no convincing to say that they were buying votes. Different when you go out and approach people on the street and offer something free and then ask them to vote.

Again, very subtle difference that might come into play.

Hehehehehehe: Romney says, "So bring your friends to the polls, get out and vote and if you want another sandwich, there are more back there."

How do you look yourself in the mirror?

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Who do you trust?

\and if this is allowed or passed over or ignored, then when does it end - vote for me and I'll give you a thousand dollars or a car or a house...
\\it's a law for a reason....

Last edited:

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
....and if He is re-elected, I opine that He will be the first President not only to be impeached but to be thrown out of office by the Senate. The vote will be 71 to 27.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Who do you trust?

\and if this is allowed or passed over or ignored, then when does it end - vote for me and I'll give you a thousand dollars or a car or a house...
\\it's a law for a reason....
Deliberate sarcasm? The bolded part is pretty much the entire US tax code...

(Sorry I can't see youtube right now so if the link made it clear I wouldn't know.)

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Hehehehehehe: Romney says, "So bring your friends to the polls, get out and vote and if you want another sandwich, there are more back there."

How do you look yourself in the mirror?

A point, your post has none.

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
....and if He is re-elected, I opine that He will be the first President not only to be impeached but to be thrown out of office by the Senate. The vote will be 71 to 27.

Potatoes+Potatoes+everywhere_59031f_2295746.jpg

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Kool-Aid Kool-Aid tastes great.
Wish we had some can't wait.