Romney 2016 or Obama 2016

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Romney-definately not. His time has come and gone and he doesn't have any core constituency at all. He's attracting support as the anti-Obama, not because anyone (outside of a few fools) actually believe anything he says. Besides he would be facing a field of real contenders in 2016 instead of the pack of jokers he smoked this time around.

Obama-it's possible, I suppose-but if Hillary runs it will be her for sure this time. Frankly I doubt Obama would run against Hillary in 2016, he'd wait until 2020, he's a young guy and I doubt she wants two terms at her age.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Obama can't serve more than 2 terms, by law, and that won't change.

The only modern president who was previously defeated as a candidate was Nixon, and Romney is no Nixon. If he can't win now, he'll never win.

Hillary might run. She'll be 69, the same age as Reagan when he won in 1980.

Repubs? They're still looking for Colbert's mythical "Rick Parry", somebody who'll sell to the fringe-y base & the rest of America, too. He'll be tough to find, being a contradiction in terms & a figment of their imaginations...

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Obama can't serve more than 2 terms, by law, and that won't change.

The only modern president who was previously defeated as a candidate was Nixon, and Romney is no Nixon. If he can't win now, he'll never win.

Hillary might run. She'll be 69, the same age as Reagan when he won in 1980.

Repubs? They're still looking for Colbert's mythical "Rick Parry", somebody who'll sell to the fringe-y base & the rest of America, too. He'll be tough to find, being a contradiction in terms & a figment of their imaginations...

69 is a good number.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Christie vs. Clinton 2016

Christie......I know few Conservatives that support the Second Amendment that would give him the time of day. That includes me.

Clinton......Benghazi has derailed any chance she might have had to run.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
No, the republicans will finally have learned their lesson with Romney. Trying him again would be even more retarded than trying him once.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
No, the republicans will finally have learned their lesson with Romney. Trying him again would be even more retarded than trying him once.
The problem is, I'm not sure they're going to learn the RIGHT lessons. If all the GOP takes from this is "Romney wasn't conservative enough!!!" then we're all in for a rough ride until the GOP has to reconfigure its platform pretty radically because Texas has flipped blue.

2016 could well be Clinton vs. Bush.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Nixon running again after losing the Presidential election was the exception, not the rule.

it's kinda like trying out for a reality show (hell, maybe exactly like trying out for a reality show)... a lot of people run in the preliminary/interview rounds multiple times, but once you make it to the final rounds, you've only got one chance,

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011

In the past little over 100 years both parties have tried to run the same person again after a loss. It didn't work out well either time.

Thomas Dewey in '44 & '48.

Adlie Stevenson in '52 & '56.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
In the past little over 100 years both parties have tried to run the same person again after a loss. It didn't work out well either time.

Thomas Dewey in '44 & '48.

Adlie Stevenson in '52 & '56.
Thanks I did wonder the stats behind it. Also Romney did get a lot of attention in 2008. We have almost certainly seen the last of him after he is summarily beaten on Tuesday.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Thanks I did wonder the stats behind it. Also Romney did get a lot of attention in 2008. We have almost certainly seen the last of him after he is summarily beaten on Tuesday.

To quote a line from a movie: "We shall see", says the Zen master.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Definitely not in either case.

Agreed. They are both done.

That said, I have no idea who the Dems will run with in 2016. I don't get the feeling from Secretary Clinton that she's going to be interested. I think she'll probably be resigning after Obama is re-elected, tbh (I think all of the traveling has worn her down).

I can think of a few likely Republican candidates, though. Christie is the rather obvious and most likely of them.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Agreed. They are both done.

That said, I have no idea who the Dems will run with in 2016. I can think of a few likely Republican candidates, though.

assuming Hillary doesn't run, I'd guess Biden and Cuomo fighting it out for the establishment support.