Roku releases 3 new set top players

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Very tempting. I currently use windows MC for netflix but this looks really good for the prices. People are also making a lot of progress at getting them to play local content off network shares. It works now but requires a bit of tweaking to get it right.

The new Roku HD will sell for $60, the Roku XD will sell for $80 and the Roku XDS will sell for $100.

On the lower end, the HD offers 720p streaming, with wired and wireless connectivity. The device is very similar to 2009's Roku HD box, but in a smaller 1" x 5" case. The HD has composite and HDMI outputs.

The mid-level XD has 1080p streaming, with wired and wireless connectivity, including support for 802.11n. Like the HD, the XD has composite and HDMI outputs.

On the high-end, the XDS has 1080p HD streaming, support for dual-band 802.11n, composite and HDMI outputs, optical video output, and a USB port that allows for playback of a number of video files off connected devices, a first for any Roku device.

Finally, each device will have 50 public channels such as Netflix, Amazon on Demand, Vimeo, MLB, UFC, Revision3 and MediaFly.

Roku XDS review
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-receivers/roku-xds-2100x/4505-6739_7-34182627.html

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
GUI looks a little better than the WD TV Live, but functionally, it looks to be the same. Unless I'm missing something.

ah nevermind. it has netflix streaming...something the WD TV can't do

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
It looks like a good deal if you already have a Blu Ray player or aren't interested in Blu Ray, but if don't have one, they can be had for less than $200 with the same functionality.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
GUI looks a little better than the WD TV Live, but functionally, it looks to be the same. Unless I'm missing something.

ah nevermind. it has netflix streaming...something the WD TV can't do

I think the WDTV Live Plus, Viewsonic VMP75, SageTV HD300, and a Seagate (Don't know which model) all have built in NetFlix and can do local streaming...

All the other ones I believe can stream NetFlix using third party software "PlayOn" for it to work and requires a PC to be on...

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Looks like Hulu is being added.

http://www.fierceiptv.com/story/report-hulu-headed-rokus-streaming-players/2010-09-28
Could Hulu--or its premium service, Hulu Plus--be headed for Roku? BusinessofVideo.com's Dan Rayburn says he's talked with a couple of Hulu content partners after receiving a photo of a Hulu channel on the popular streaming player's service, and they've confirmed Roku owners soon will be getting access to the video catch-up service. If so, it'll be a coup, of sorts, for Roku, which is sailing into the holiday season getting ready to do battle with Apple TV, Google TV and the forthcoming Boxee Box, which all give users access to online video content though their TV.
Roku earlier this month dropped the prices on its devices to offer a lower-priced alternative to other streaming players and also last week introduced three new models, starting at $59.95, and all offering 1080p playback. Roku already streams Netflix, Major League Baseball, Amazon VOD, Flickr, Pandora and content from an increasing array of providers. While much of its content is free, Roku does offer some premium content, so a Hulu Plus addition wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
Hulu Plus--which is owned jointly by NBC Universal, Disney and News Corp.--meanwhile, has been stuck in low gear, grinding along in an invite-only netherworld that has slowed its rollout to the general public.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I want a setup device that can randomly stream my video files across my LAN. (I've been doing this with XBMC for years). I like to jus tpush "play" on a comedy series and watch whatever pops up. Or the kids love to do the same with their shows (SpongeBob etc).

I have yet to find a off-the-shelf setup box that will do this :(

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I want a setup device that can randomly stream my video files across my LAN. (I've been doing this with XBMC for years). I like to jus tpush "play" on a comedy series and watch whatever pops up. Or the kids love to do the same with their shows (SpongeBob etc).

I have yet to find a off-the-shelf setup box that will do this :(

You mean like a shuffle feature ?
The wdtv boxes could do it and probably the others as well.
Install custom firmware on wdtv box, use a short script on the box that grabs the file names, randomizes, then picks one. It is 100% doable .

Roku is a bit more difficult to do than others right now, but that will soon change.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
What would the advantage of a Roku device over a blue ray player with internet apps?

I recently picked-up a Sony BDP-S570 that has 802.11n, internet apps and dlna for $190. Internet Apps wise - HuluPlus is coming and has already been added to the latest firmware. Full DLNA via firmware updates is still maturing as not all of the available formats have been added but you can still play a number of formats from your desktop.

tconthepc

Nov 16, 2009
I like the fact you can use hdmi or composite a/v connections, allows users without an hdtv (sure small percentage these days) the opportunity to visit channels of streamed services without cable. I like the idea.

tno

Mar 17, 2007
So, I am really interested in biting on one of these Roku boxes, but the one hang up is local network streaming. Roku does all the things that all of the other streamers don't (namely Amazon [I am such an Amazon whore]) but without accessing media files off my NAS I can't get rid of the HTPC with it. @Modelworks, you mentioned this being close to happening, where do I go for information on that? If it works, even with tinkering, and it works with all my files (whose contents and codecs are as scattered as one can imagine) then I am sold. Might even buy two.