Roku/Cheap TV issue

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I have a cheap Seiki SE42UMS 4K TV. It has been hooked up to a Roku 1 for a while. I finally decided to upgrade the Roku as it was struggling with the BR movies on my NAS. I got Roku Premiere.

The Roku seems to not like the TV. After a little while, an hour or so, the screen starts blinking in and out like it's changing or reconnecting inputs. This never happened with the Roku 1 set at 1080p, only with the Premiere at 4k. After doing some research it seems like the Roku and TV are having HDCP handshake issues. Does this sound right? I'm using a super cheap HDMI cable and while I know that they're all essentially the same thing I've seen some sites suggest that cheap ones don't handle HDCP 2.0 very well. I've also seen that some HDMI splitters will strip out HDCP, which eliminated handshake issues. Does anyone here have any advice on how to get my components to play nicely with each other?

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
HDMI handshake issues might manifest themselves in the way you describe. Generally, the picture will freeze, go blank, or become some sort of rainbow pixelated mess. I've typically had to restart everything to get things going again. I've run into handshake issues with long cable runs. You don't indicate how long a run you're dealing with. But shorter runs might be a problem if you're pushing a lot of data (e.g. 4K) and you bought a cable from a poor manufacturer. Not all HDMI cables are the same. The extent to which some unscrupulous vendors will go to in order to save a few pennies is amazing. But you don't have to pay a lot of money for a good cable. The Amazon Basics cable linked to above should be fine. And Monoprice sells great cables. No need to spend more than $10 for a relatively short run (6ft or so).

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for the input. My cable run is short, ~3ft from the TV to the Roku right below it. I'm using the main HDMI input (#1 of 3) so I don't think that's the issue. I forced the Roku to 1080p and am not noticing the screen issue anymore but I'm seeing some other strange behavior. The HDMI cables I'm running are cheap in quality and price, I think they may have come with the dish receiver. Depending on how my experiments with the new issue(s) pan out I may swap out the HDMI and go back to 4K to see if that makes a difference.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thanks for the input. My cable run is short, ~3ft from the TV to the Roku right below it. I'm using the main HDMI input (#1 of 3) so I don't think that's the issue. I forced the Roku to 1080p and am not noticing the screen issue anymore but I'm seeing some other strange behavior. The HDMI cables I'm running are cheap in quality and price, I think they may have come with the dish receiver. Depending on how my experiments with the new issue(s) pan out I may swap out the HDMI and go back to 4K to see if that makes a difference.

Get a better cable.