ROFL! Watching the Facebook CEO on 60 Minutes...Mr. Zuckerberg

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
He needs to stay off TV...he's choking on all the big questions...and he doesn't come off as a professional, knowledgeable person. Yeah, he can code, and Facebook may be worth billions in theory, but it's just that. Perception can cause that value to crash.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I couldn't care less if someone like that is professional or not. Has absolutely no impact on my life, and he was smart and capable enough to capitalize. So I gotta give him props for that. I welcome all the realities of capitalism for that very reason. If you can make yourself successful, good for you. I don't care if you have a degree in life. Not all the avenues of business require degrees. Most aren't exceptionally profitable, but if you can find a way to bring yourself fortune without being some stiff white-collar professional.. well good for you. :D

what, wanna harp on Fatal1ty since he doesn't fit the professional image? He makes more money and me, and probably most people on this board. That's success (in the market). Does he has a happy and successful life? I'd say that's pretty damned likely.. he plays games for a living for chrissake! :laugh:

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I haven't seen it yet but if you have shitloads of money isn't that what a slick P.R. firm is for?

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
He needs to stay off TV...he's choking on all the big questions...and he doesn't come off as a professional, knowledgeable person. Yeah, he can code, and Facebook may be worth billions in theory, but it's just that. Perception can cause that value to crash.

jealous much?

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002

Yeah I felt the same way. Came off as unprepared, not genuine, and like he had something to hide.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Schfifty Five

jealous much?

What the hell are you talking about? So it's no longer acceptable to point out a potential business flaw without being greedy? And yes, that's a question.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I like how the internet enables people to trash people who are superior to them and thereby elevating them to a higher pedestal than they are.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: ScottFern

Yeah I felt the same way. Came off as unprepared, not genuine, and like he had something to hide.

Actually, it came off as canned to me. CBS told his lawyers what "tough" questions they were going to ask, those lawyers then briefed him, and he repeated their script badly...very badly.

LOL, I didn't know he was being sued by former Harvard classmates for having stolen their ideas. He had no reply for that one. Just said that's why he has a team of lawyers. LOL!. Sounds guilty to me!

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Syringer
I like how the internet enables people to trash people who are superior to them and thereby elevating them to a higher pedestal than they are.

.. huh?

The Facebook dude should simply prepare for interviews a heck of a lot better than that. He comes off terribly.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Well, it's been shown many times that Mr. Zuckerberg is anything but the groundbreaking visionary CEO that many portray him to be.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

.. huh?

The Facebook dude should simply prepare for interviews a heck of a lot better than that. He comes off terribly.
Bah, he's rich no matter what. If he comes off lousy, he should still be able to retire now, and he and his family would never have to work again. Where's his motivation for caring? ;)

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7

.. huh?

Bah, he's rich no matter what. If he comes off lousy, he should still be able to retire now, and he and his family would never have to work again. Where's his motivation for caring? ;)

You're not worth shit if you keep on turned down $1 Billion deals. He's a private company. He's only worth as much as people are willing to pay. And if I were MSFT, I would be willing to pay a lot less after that interview.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

.. huh?

You're not worth shit if you keep on turned down $1 Billion deals. He's a private company. He's only worth as much as people are willing to pay. And if I were MSFT, I would be willing to pay a lot less after that interview.

Read my post again. Read it. Let it really sink in.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The guy isn't your typical CEO material, but that much is obvious. He's a coder, a simple guy that had an idea and went with it. In truth, his idea wasn't particularly brilliant or revolutionary; rather, just a simple idea that caught on (much more than his competition) and grew to what it is now. That success, and all the intarweb market share that goes along with it, is why he garners attention, not because he looks good in a $2k suit and can rival politicians with his doublespeak.

So, I highly doubt that MSFT or anyone else will devalue him or Facebook as a result of the interview.

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
I thought it was a little amusing when CBS kept promoting "60 Minutes" with the line "he looks like he just got out of high school."

Originally posted by: daniel1113
Well, it's been shown many times that Mr. Zuckerberg is anything but the groundbreaking visionary CEO that many portray him to be.
Zuckerberg's lack of professionalism in interviews is already priced into the valuation. He had an interview in mid-2007 where he wore slippers.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004

I love how the internet allows people to make smartass comments using poor structure then feel like a badass because of it.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

.. huh?

So instead of giving Yahoo the whole company for $1 billion, he gave MS 1.6% of the company for $240 million. Pretty damn good if you ask me.

Ya know what? You guys are attacking him - he's a 23 year old kid! He's my age. I signed up for Facebook like 3 or 4 years ago...I was a sophomore in college, he was already running a huge, exploding business.

He's not a business man, he's learning on the job how to run a 400 person company that has 60 million users and is valued at $15 billion. I don't blame him at all for being bad in an interview, or making a few poor decisions throughout the past few years.

I mean, he got lucky. Why did Facebook catch on and not any of the very similar sites? Was it THAT much better? Not really, and maybe he isn't a very good CEO yet, but he's still accomplished more than I ever will, so hats off to him.