Rode NTK - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - iMac

Redbow

Mar 27, 2018
Hello, I hope you will help me, because I am not able to find out what is wrong.

Microphone - Rode NTK
Audio Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
iMac
Recording Software - Logic Pro X

My problem - I have little home recording studio. I bought these new components, but my recording volume is very low. Everything is set on highest volume but everything what I say to mic is very very quiet. Recording and direct monitoring is same low volume. These are not cheap components, and I bought expensive cables too. (20 euros each). So I cant figure it out why its so low recording volume. I tried second microphone (Shure) in secont mic imput but its same low volume.

Microphone Rode NTK is pluged to Power Supply (original rode ntk power supply)
Power supply is pluged to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is USB pluged to iMac

Here I give some photos of my settings.
Did I something wrong, or do I missing something? Please help me. Thank you.

https://imgur.com/iyvK8Qm - Power Supply
https://imgur.com/rjX2b3i - Pluged microphone to audio interface
https://imgur.com/cyEQPSZ - Settings in Logic Pro X
https://imgur.com/PuuXSup - Settings in Mac (its in my language, but important is ... its output and input set on Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Redbow

Mar 27, 2018
All components are Brand new from music shop.
And Light indication around imput level is visible - yes. Green light when I talking to mic.

I thought its problem in microphone .. but I tried second microphone and problem was same.

I thought its problem with Power Supply ... maybe low power or something, but I live in flat with .. normal electric power like everywhere, and ... second microphone doesnt need power supply and volume was low.

So ... I think, problem is in Audio Interface or in Mac ... but ... both are brand new ... On my Mac I have nothing .... I bought it and instaled only updates and Logic Pro X.....

Last edited:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Sounds to me like a problem with the Scarlett. I see other people complaining of that issue and people stating there's been bad batches of them.

Redbow

Mar 27, 2018
I am going to try my old M-Audio Fast Track, probably tomorow. I will give you know if its working good. If is my Scarlett problem, can I repair it somehow or just return to shop?

Feb 25, 2011
Did you try plugging the mic into the 2i2 by itself and pressing the 48v button to enable phantom power from the interface? Might work better.

Otherwise, yeah, probably just a bad audio interface. I've seen similar issues with other interfaces, too.

I am going to try my old M-Audio Fast Track, probably tomorow. I will give you know if its working good. If is my Scarlett problem, can I repair it somehow or just return to shop?

Since it's new, just return it to the shop and get a replacement. If the shop won't help you, you can contact FocusRite and try to get a warranty replacement from them instead.

Redbow

Mar 27, 2018
I cant. Reduction on microphone fits only to Power Supply. And i will be honest ... I have no idea what is that power supply for. Why some mics have it and some dont need it?

Feb 25, 2011
I cant. Reduction on microphone fits only to Power Supply. And i will be honest ... I have no idea what is that power supply for. Why some mics have it and some dont need it?

A quick google makes me think that tube mics need them. You are not supposed to be using phantom power when the power supply is inline, as there is a small chance of damaging the power supply.

It also occurred to me that if the Sure microphone has the same problem with phantom power on, then you probably have a bum interface.

Redbow

Mar 27, 2018
I used second audio interface with new cables ... its same ... low voice record. I used third microphone, USB mic and no difference. I tried record to another software, and stil lsame. I dont know what to do more.

Is there any machine to boost microphone input??

Experiment:

Could you please try this on your computer? (if you have time for this)

-record you voice, normal talking 10cm from microphone (Audacity is free)

-download some beat from youtube

-give that beat to your voice .... (in my case, my voice is so low volume that I barely can hear myself thru the beat)

-In my case, I have to take -12db from beat and gain +5db to my voice to get it in same volume line. But after I use equaliser my voice volume go down (normaly) ... so I have to gain more volume to voice and take more db from beat. I can boost my voice with compresor but I cant give +20db to it because it destroying quality. And if I take so much DB from beat ... the final song is much less volume than youtube songs.

So, am I doing something wrong? Do you know any music forum where can help me? Thank you guys.

Feb 25, 2011
Well, if you used two different audio interfaces, two different mics, a USB mic, different software, and different cables, the only common denominator there is your computer.

The experiment you're talking about is a red herring - there's a bunch of variables you're not accounting for, like how our microphone/preamp is set up, what those levels are, etc., and most of the beats from YouTube are going to be amp'd all the way to loud - they should be quite a bit louder than just an unadjusted voice recording.

How about you record yourself saying the old "testing, 1, 2, 3" and post that, unaltered?

Most equalizers (by default) are going to boost bass and treble, ignoring the middle, where your voice is, which is why it seems comparatively quiet after applying the EQ. Are you adjusting the sliders yourself?

The compressor is going to amplify your voice, but it's also going to amplify background noise and stuff. You might want to try normalization instead of compression.

How are you set up room-wise? Do you have something akin to a "Cone of Silence" or are you just recording in a bedroom overlooking a street?

Redbow

Mar 27, 2018
Thanks fo reply.

My iMac is brand new. I instaled only updates and Logic Pro X. All USB ports works great, all works perfect.
Yes I adjusting sladers in EQ.
Thanks for the idea with normalization. I will try it.
I have noice isolation foam and accoustic foam all around me.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
your results are normal I believe. You gain is not all the way up on the interface, so you could definitely get more volume by turning it UP!

you need to learn how to use a nice compressor on your voice to bring up the volume!

Verndewdimus

Nov 18, 2016
www.reverbnation.com
have you checked your audio midi panel? My thoughts are that since you plugged in a usb mic with the same result, its a setting you are missing on your mac. 'launchpad/other/audio midi setup'