Rocket League is a competitive masterpiece

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So, I have been playing Rocket League and I can't stop. Well, I'm at work now, but at least I'm thinking about Rocket league even if I can't be playing. On the surface, the game seems like a simple, uninteresting gimmick of a game. You drive cheesy cars around and hit a soccer ball. Big deal right? Wrong. This game is ingenious and amazing.
At first, I drove the car around and hit the ball and thought it was just silly fun, and fun it certainly was. But then I realized that it took skill to hit the ball and to score. This involves timing and strategy and is a skill based competitive game. There are thousands of people who play online, so the community is strong.
The matches are 5 minutes long, so you don't get bored and you don't have to suffer for very long if you are getting owned (highly likely at first). This makes for a great pace and constantly lets you play fresh new matches with new people.
The struggle between your team and the opposite team to control the ball and score, creates an extreme feeling of intensity and competitiveness. It feels like you are playing a true sport from an emotional perspective. When you score, it is usually very hard earned and gives an immense feeling of satisfaction. When you block the opposing team's shot and prevent them from scoring, you feel like a hero.
The environment and sounds make you feel like you have an audience. When you hit the ball you hear the crowd rise up and cheer in excitement. The crowd can he heard chanting similarly to how they do in real stadiums. Even though you know its fake, it adds to the experience in a positive way.
This is also the ULTIMATE RAGE GAME. If you play a ranked match or even a non ranked match, people will get pissed and they will rage. That's because this game is for real. Its the real deal. This is a real deal video game and captures the essence of what a fun, competitive game is all about.
I rage hard as hell when I put in 100% effort to control the ball, our teams battle, I save 2 or 3 shots from going in our goal, we keep fighting like hell and then all of a sudden, the opposing team get a lucky random goal. IT MAKES ME RAGE because this game is brilliant. It invites you to invest a lot of energy and attention to win, and when you don't win, you feel that pain. You feel that pain like a real video game should make you feel it, and far too few games these days capture that kind of experience.
This game is for real and is the only thing that has dragged me away from BF4 and not left me feeling like I missed something while I was away. When I force myself to play other games so I can get my money's worth, I tell myself, "Damn, I could have been wrecking a BF4 server all this time" and I can't wait to get back to BF4. Not with Rocket League. When I play Rocket League, my whole ass is playing Rocket League with no other thoughts. I'm not half way playing Rocket League and half way thinking about BF4. I'm not trying to get my money's worth from Rocket League. Rocket League has stolen me. It has dragged me off my stale gamer ass and forced me to have genuine fun again. This is what a game should be about. Rocket League is perfect.

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I saw some videos of the gameplay.It looks like a load of fun.I know World of Tanks had a mode for a while but you shoot the tracks of enemies to keep them put and of course drive and blast the tank sized ball into the goals.Tank soccer.:)

God i miss that mode,Rocket League looks like the next best thing and even more fun.I keep thinking Mario Kart on steriods for some reason.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I like fun and simple games and RL does both well. I can see this as my go to game when I need a break from other games.

Up to this point I've only played against AI and they seem competitive enough for me. It is sometimes easy to score right off the bat though.

One thing that drives me crazy is when you or your teams AI knocks the ball in for the other team. It's definitely enough to make me rage.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I saw some videos of the gameplay.It looks like a load of fun.I know World of Tanks had a mode for a while but you shoot the tracks of enemies to keep them put and of course drive and blast the tank sized ball into the goals.Tank soccer.:)

God i miss that mode,Rocket League looks like the next best thing and even more fun.I keep thinking Mario Kart on steriods for some reason.

Mario Kart was the most fun a human is capable of having. The brain's "fun gland" is maxed out during Mario kart. It doesn't get more fun. Rocket League is pretty close. If only they had red turtle shells...

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Mario Kart was the most fun a human is capable of having. The brain's "fun gland" is maxed out during Mario kart. It doesn't get more fun. Rocket League is pretty close. If only they had red turtle shells...

If i remember correctly,this is one of the better games with complete plug n play compatibility with a Xbox controller?I thought about a controller for my copy of Dirt but i would put that game in the trash in a second for a copy of Rocket League.

Not to huge of a keyboard+mouse guy for car games,i never kept a title long installed on my rig cause of that.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If i remember correctly,this is one of the better games with complete plug n play compatibility with a Xbox controller?I thought about a controller for my copy of Dirt but i would put that game in the trash in a second for a copy of Rocket League.

Not to huge of a keyboard+mouse guy for car games,i never kept a title long installed on my rig cause of that.

I plugged in my dusty old Xbox 360 controller and windows 10 went "BING" and the game worked perfectly. I haven't changed a single setting. The game just works. Not a single crash, stutter or any other issue of any kind.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Controller not needed, but I'd imagine it would be recommended over KB/Mouse for smooth control of the car. I'm happy using the controller and wouldn't try it without one.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
I played a lot with KB/M and did just fine. In fact, I had trouble when I switched to a controller because I was just wasn't used to it.

There are some maneuvers that are easier with a controller but it is not a necessity.

They really did hit a home run with this game. Easy to learn, difficult to master. Super-tight controls and perfect pacing. Be prepared to want just one more round.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Real question.
Do you even controller or keyboard? Which takes more skills? I play on keyboard cuz pc master race yo ;D

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I use a DS4 controller and find it is much easier to play than M/KB, I also tend to mainly use the ball lock on view.

I have around 120 hours on steam for rocket league, mainly in ranked doubles play, though i'm not all that high ranked, only ~470.

petyr_

Dec 28, 2015
RL is a game that is really easy to hop into but extremely hard to master...

The weird thing is I even got my GF to try it out.

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
Great game. It would be better if it penalized players for quitting during a match. Too many quitters.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Great game. It would be better if it penalized players for quitting during a match. Too many quitters.

If you abandon a ranked game without your team agreeing to surrender as well, it will ban you from playing for 15 minutes. That's the punishment for abandoning your team during a ranked game. I know because I raged and left their ass to play alone.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
This game suffered the same as with real sports to me, just going back and forth over and over.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
If you want a game that is one sided, maybe multiplayer games aren't for you

No, sports games are not. Not a lot of people like watching people go back and forth nonstop. Sports games are not the typical multiplayer games.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The guest host on TotalBiscuit's Co-Optional Podcast three weeks ago made an interesting comment about Rocket League. I believe it was Danny O'Dwyer, and he said something along the lines of "This is the best football game that I've ever played." He noted that in games like FIFA where you have full control over a team, you don't really get that feeling like you're getting a lot of control over the finite action. I thought it was interesting.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
This was easily the most fun game I played all year. In a way it reminds me of CS:Go in that I can hop in and enjoy a few short rounds will little commitment or penalty that I don't revolve my entire life around the game. It is multiplayer gaming for old people with lives like me.

The matchmaking is great, and I love that by changing the number of players in a match you change the dynamics of the whole game.

It really does kick ass, and it runs on pretty weak PCs. Game of the Year to me.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I got this game recently and love it too. I really like the short 5 minute rounds too; if it's a blow out then it's over soon. And due to this I usually find myself with my old Diablo attitude of "just 5 more minutes..." :)