Robotics... where to start?

nmcglennon

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2002
I have been interested in robotics and would like to know more about about the field. I want to actually build my own robots, and control them with a PC, but I don't know where to start.

Anyone know any good robotics kits or something? Any help?

nmcglennon

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2002
Anyone have any experience with Mindstorms? I haven't done anything with Legos since I was 8.

In the meantime I'll start on my Microwave-toaster-eggbeater bot.

MaxFusion16

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: nmcglennon
Anyone have any experience with Mindstorms? I haven't done anything with Legos since I was 8.

it's cool, easy, and cheap. But if you want to do anything advanced then you'll need to get several mindstorm packs plus some custom parts and sensors from special websites.
I built a 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering semi-autonomous vehicle for my highschool senior engineering project.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: MaxFusion16
Originally posted by: nmcglennon

it's cool, easy, and cheap. But if you want to do anything advanced then you'll need to get several mindstorm packs plus some custom parts and sensors from special websites.
I built a 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering semi-autonomous vehicle for my highschool senior engineering project.

Whoa, they still make mindstorms?

I remember that shiz from the IIGS boxen in elementary school. I may have to order me a pack or two (I have plenty of normal legos)

labrat25

Jan 7, 2004
if you're in college you can get involved in an orginization call FIRST... it's supported by the guy who designed the segway scooter

essentially what you do is design and build a robot with highschool students to compete at national competitions... it's a great way to get involved

two of my roommates run the club at the local highschool here while we work on our degrees

FIRST Robotics

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Mindstorms are a good way to start. So is the book The Robot Builders Bonanza.

There is a FIRST team in Austin, so that is another option. However, it is late in the season to be getting involved in FIRST. Best bet is to try to contact them next fall. Austin team

MystikMango

Jan 8, 2004
This site has a great overview on how to design and build bots. They cover a lot of the basic and advanced topics such as RC Control, Tools, DC Motors, etc.

May 31, 2001
Good information, thanks folks. I was going to make a post about this too, after hearing a guy from JPL talking about robotics on the radio last night. :)

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: labrat25
if you're in college you can get involved in an orginization call FIRST... it's supported by the guy who designed the segway scooter

essentially what you do is design and build a robot with highschool students to compete at national competitions... it's a great way to get involved

two of my roommates run the club at the local highschool here while we work on our degrees

FIRST Robotics

$5k to register for each individual event, and you'll need to buy your own build materiel, except for motors and some other gadgetry.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Real engineering robotics requires a lot of calculations and concepts... It's nothing that most people would imagine!

marquee

Banned
Aug 25, 2003
apply to cmu. they have the best robotics program in the world. i think its also because they have the only robotics program in the world.

it was fun too, we got to program these robotic arms to throw darts!