Roberts says God forced his resignation

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
God told me to resign.

TULSA, Okla. - Richard Roberts told students at Oral Roberts University Wednesday that he did not want to resign as president of the scandal-plagued evangelical school, but he did so because God insisted.

God told him on Thanksgiving that he should resign the next day, Roberts told students in the university's chapel.

"Every ounce of my flesh said 'no'" to the idea, Roberts said, but he prayed over the decision with his wife and his father, Oral Roberts, and decided to step down.

Roberts said he wanted to "strike out" against the people who were persecuting him, and considered countersuing, but "the Lord said, 'don't do that,'" he said.

After submitting his resignation, he said, for "first time in 60 days peace came into my heart."

Roberts spoke only for a few minutes and was applauded and cheered by students. He wiped away tears with a white handkerchief and his hands.

"This has nearly destroyed my family, and it's nearly destroyed ORU," Roberts said.

A lawsuit accuses Roberts of lavish spending at a time when the university faced more than $50 million in debt, including taking shopping sprees, buying a stable of horses and paying for a daughter to travel to the Bahamas aboard the university jet.

Roberts has previously said that God told him to deny the allegations. The week the lawsuit was filed, Richard Roberts said that God told him: "We live in a litigious society. Anyone can get mad and file a lawsuit against another person whether they have a legitimate case or not. This lawsuit ... is about intimidation, blackmail and extortion."

On Wednesday, Roberts said God told him he would "do something supernatural for the university," if he stepped down from the job he held at the 5,700-student school since 1993.

On Tuesday, the founder of a Christian office and education supply store chain pledged $70 million to help the university, provided it passed a 90-day review of the school's finances. Oklahoma City businessman Mart Green, founder of the Mardel chain, offered to donate $8 million immediately.

Roberts said he would return to the full-time evangelistic healing ministry, "which is where my heart has always been," and told students and faculty that he will be praying for them every day of his life.

"I believe with all my heart the best is yet to come for ORU," he said.

Roberts walked out of the chapel through a side door to more cheers. Regents Chairman George Pearsons followed, telling students the ORU administration is "endeavoring to do the right thing" during a very difficult time.

"This is a good university," Pearsons said. "ORU is a place where love is king."

Roberts remains the CEO of the Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association and remains a "spiritual regent" who cannot vote on university matters.

On Tuesday, Pearsons announced a plan to separate the finances and leadership of the university from the Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association, a move welcomed by many students and faculty members.

The university has been under the ministry since its inception in 1963, an arrangement that critics say led to co-mingling of funds and a blurring of leadership roles.

Who supports organizations like this anyway? This guy claims to live a life devoted to God? That's a laugh, more like a life devoted to the pursuit of swindling people out of money to support his lavish lifestyle. These people make me sick.

hellod9

Sep 16, 2007
The disgusting truth is that Mr. Roberts has twisted the word "God" so that he can claim he has zero responsibility.

This is disgusting, because, in essence, he is saying that he is worthless, without value, and without purpose, because he has sacrificed that purpose in the name of one thing: "God."

The sick perversion of a 'reason' that he gave us, is his way of screaming to the world how worthless he believes he is. He is screaming to us that he is dead, that he has no self control, no choice, and no power.

He is, by the standards of logic that he is using, a dead man.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Funny, I always thought the excuse to use was "the Devil made me do it." It does bother me that God seems to have enough spare time to talk to this guy. There are a few places in the world, particularly parts of Africa where people are being gang raped, tortured and mutilated, and I just thought, you know, God might wanna spend some time over there.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
They said oral...

Anyway, whatever, he can claim whatever crazy crap he wants, everybody knows he did it to keep the org together.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Benny Hill, Jim Faker and him should just be dropped off on a deserted island where they can't leach off a gullible society....

Why would you want to force a helpless Pom comic like Benny to share an island with the phony evangelists?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Benny Hill, Jim Faker and him should just be dropped off on a deserted island where they can't leach off a gullible society....

Why would you want to force a helpless Pom comic like Benny to share an island with the phony evangelists?

Why penalize an excellent British commedian for the foul deeds of Benny Hinn?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Who supports organizations like this anyway? This guy claims to live a life devoted to God? That's a laugh, more like a life devoted to the pursuit of swindling people out of money to support his lavish lifestyle. These people make me sick.
That's all part of God's plan. God works in mysterious ways.

Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

Why penalize an excellent British commedian for the foul deeds of Benny Hinn?
I suddenly pictured something that might work:
Those psycho preacher guys who "heal" people by pushing them over - speed that up, and put it to that Benny Hill saxaphone music. Oh, and make the people falling over be sexy women in lingerie.:D

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The same God who punishes him now for his excess greed and folly, will later find it in his heart to forgive him. And thereafter, we can trust him to be a good and faithful steward of any and all donations. If you don't believe me, just wait for that prediction to come to pass. And even if he tells us God has forgiven him, I somewhat doubt we should ever trust the scoundrel.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
The same God who punishes him now for his excess greed and folly, will later find it in his heart to forgive him. And thereafter, we can trust him to be a good and faithful steward of any and all donations. If you don't believe me, just wait for that prediction to come to pass. And even if he tells us God has forgiven him, I somewhat doubt we should ever trust the scoundrel.

For the first time on record, we're in complete agreement. :thumbsup:

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Funny, I always thought the excuse to use was "the Devil made me do it." It does bother me that God seems to have enough spare time to talk to this guy. There are a few places in the world, particularly parts of Africa where people are being gang raped, tortured and mutilated, and I just thought, you know, God might wanna spend some time over there.

A Dutch comedian described that by saying that either those people apparently don't pray enough, or that God likes succesful people better ;)

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Let's what would have happened in other well known cases:

Bill Clinton "God told me to hit it!"

O.J "God gave me those gloves!"

Gay Catholic Clergy With Massive Boners "GOD WILL IS IT! CHAARGE!"

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Being a Moral Inquisitor is a tough road to follow as Roberts is now finding out.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

It was a play on names, notice how I misspelled Jim Bakker as well