Robert Mugabe Overthrows Government

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,346068,00.html

Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe is said to of been raiding the opposition's party headquarters. He refuses to yeild to the democratic defeat or even provide a record of the vote count.

Zimbabwe is literally in a state of civil war. It has been taken over by its dictator.

I think this is a good reason for Term Limits!

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: piasabird

Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe is said to of been raiding the opposition's party headquarters. He refuses to yeild to the democratic defeat or even provide a record of the vote count.

Zimbabwe is literally in a state of civil war. It has been taken over by its dictator.

If he's a dictator what good are Term Limits?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I've heard that inflation has been 200,000% for the past several years. How is that humanely possible without causing a collapse of government?

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006

Because term limits worked well in Russia right?

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Dari
I've heard that inflation has been 200,000% for the past several years. How is that humanely possible without causing a collapse of government?

Zimbabwe has essentially collapsed in all but name. There is an extreme lack of a support structure that is required for all functioning countries. Zimbabwe now stands at a difficult crossroad, a costly civil war or the complete erosion of country itself.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006

Money is essentially being turned into confetti over there.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

barter? or use of a different commodity for money, such as cigarettes

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

their economy was probably devolved to barter and theft tbh.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

their economy was probably devolved to barter and theft tbh.

Yep, especially with the 80% unemployment that they have. Zimbabwe is a great example of what happens without any upwards mobility and the lack of a strong middle class.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Ah, the gift of British colonialism. It keeps on giving.

This isn't because of colonialism. It's because of a stupid, selfish, and ignorant former revolutionary whose time has come and gone.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005

This isn't because of colonialism. It's because of a stupid, selfish, and ignorant former revolutionary whose time has come and gone.

Exactly. Almost all of Zimbabwe's problems are due to a corrupt and incompetent public leadership. Sadly, I don't see it changing even if power shifts hands.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Dictatorships already have Term Limits. It's called Life. Term Limits are over rated and only offer benefit to a Democratic society for dealing with lousy leaders. That same society loses out when Good Leaders are systematically removed from power though.

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
Zimbabwe and many other similar former colonies are essentially tribal societies and force-fitting democracy on them simply does not work. The tribal instinct will take a long time to subside, certainly more than the couple of decades since these countries became independent. Heck, it took England what, 600 years after the Magna Carta was signed before parliament was able to effectively overcome the royal instinct to slap down the masses at whim?

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: xeemzor

Exactly. Almost all of Zimbabwe's problems are due to a corrupt and incompetent public leadership. Sadly, I don't see it changing even if power shifts hands.

It's a leadership that exists due to the history of colonialism.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
"Zim" as My African friend puts it is pretty much up S creek over the years anyone who has stood against Mugbe has either vanished had an "Accident" or just been on the working end of an AK-47.

This is a good reason against redistribution of wealth.

Mugbe has taken land from white farmers for years and given it to his supporters which are black and well not farmers. What happens... No food, just more corruption.

She and her family got out 5 years ago and her cousins just got into the states in February. Her mom had to go back to sell their hardware store which was almost worthless due to no one had anything to give her for it that had any value. She basically gave it away. Zim Rough on the small business person.

Assasination was the word that came to mind when I asked her what should happen now? :shocked:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Once upon a time, Zimbabwe was the second most successful country in Africa, the leading food exporter in Africa, and it had a developing economy.

The down fall of Zimbabwe was Mugabes land grab that gave his supporters the farm land being farmed by the remaining whites. That ruined their only source of revenue.

Now the country is far worse off than it has ever been before.

$100 USD = 20million in Zim currency.

I have some friends from Zimbabwe. They are over here studying. Towards the later part of last year, their families started the process of getting political asylum in the US. "Elites" that have opposed Mugabe have feared for their lives for quite some time.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
My take on the matter is that Mugabe has long overstayed his welcome. He somewhat rides the tiger, if he falls off the Tiger eats him. He can't release the vote totals, they are so one sided against him, even he can't figure out how to fudge them. Now he probably awaits some exile deal except he is so senile by now, he is just in it for then power he will not give up. Its been about personal power for so long, he has long forgotten the day when he actually had any any goals of making things better for anyone else but himself.

Its hard to have the hate to wish someone was dead, but the world would be a far better place if he were right now. Either natural causes or a 25 cent bullet. Exile would be acceptable also. Zimbabwe is the thing worth saving and it can't even start to heal until Mugabe is gone.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007

Good for him.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
This is actually the first time I have heard about him raiding any offices. They have been speaking a lot about him stepping down since the first votes started rolling in. I didnt want to bring it up because at first I thought it may have been a big bad April fools Joke. It looks to be true now, Its about time but it seems as if Mugabe is on his way out. Maybe he can take his brother in arms Mengistu with him.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: compman25

If he's a dictator what good are Term Limits?

he was given 28 years to dig in...

This is so damn sad for Zimbabwe. The country used to be THE shining symbol of hope for all of Africa... until that idiot Mugabe took over all the damn farms and ruined their entire economy. They used to feed most of Africa, and now can't even feed themselves...

I hope the people cut his balls off.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Bingo.

Africa, like the ME was carved up with arbitrary borders defined that ignored cultural and tribal differences, along with flipping the social order on it's head in places like Rwanda with the tutsi and hutu situation. This has led to non-stop conflict for most of the last 75+ years.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ayabe

Bingo.

Africa, like the ME was carved up with arbitrary borders defined that ignored cultural and tribal differences, along with flipping the social order on it's head in places like Rwanda with the tutsi and hutu situation. This has led to non-stop conflict for most of the last 75+ years.

Attempting to pin this one on the UK is laughable -- when they were there, Zimbabwe was one of the strongest and most stable African nations in history!

The blame for this rests squarely on a lack of term limits and the shoulders of the man who has now become their dictator.

HE has singlehandedly destroyed his nation.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Rhodesia was a growing economic country.

There were classes yes; however, what has happened under the Mugabe rule has completely sent the country backwards into pre colonial times.