Road Runner port 80 = blocked???

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
Heya,

I am not sure about where you are, but here in my location they did block port 80 for a little while due to the whole IIS virus breakout.
Code Red worked on port 80 and so they blocked the outgoing traffic at the firewall toprevent any attacks coming from inside their network....

Subsequently they have turned it back on as people got bent about it.

Check with your ISP to be sure.

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
Might be specific to your locale, they did it here to avoid any backlash from people running IIS servers and getting thr Code Red virus....
Might not be an issue in other places.

JoeRicard

Feb 12, 2002
Does anyone here know if Verizon in the Massachusetts area blocks port 80?
I'm in the process of setting up a network and it would really suck if it was.

Thank you in advance,

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

<< Does anyone here know if Verizon in the Massachusetts area blocks port 80?
I'm in the process of setting up a network and it would really suck if it was.

Thank you in advance,
>>

They dont in NoVA.

skeletal29

Oct 2, 2001
do you have a routeR? you have to go in telnet and disable the filter set for http.

thats what i did and now it works gr8

zigCorsair

Nov 20, 2001
Hey yall,

Thanks for the feedback.

That server is in Austin, so it's under their policies.

I did call the national office about 3 months ago, and they told me it wasn't blocked, but I still have my suspicions.

I tried 2 routers (same model though), both configured correctly. I even had technical support confirm this.

Right now, I just run my stuff off port 82 instead. I guess they're doing it in our best interest to protect the customer/the network. It'd be nice to have that port back though so I don't have to do port redirection in my dns.

Peace.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I battled RR for a 1/2 hour about port 80 being blocked. They pointed me to the agreement that states users can not run web servers and therefore the port is blocked. I didn't push it too far because all I need is RR denying me service because I broke the rules. I'm not sure if this is a nationwide rule or a local one since I've been able to run a webserver in the Cincinnati area, whereas Akron is a problem for me.

zigCorsair

Nov 20, 2001

<< I'm not sure if this is a nationwide rule or a local one since I've been able to run a webserver in the Cincinnati area, whereas Akron is a problem for me. >>

yeah, it's in the Austin agreement too.

blstriker

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
You can check by doing a port scan on yourself by visiting grc.com and using their shields up test. Make sure your port 80 is open on your router before you scan yourself so you can see whether or not rr is doing the blocking.