Road construction and temporary elevation transitions

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
After having hit quite a few very hard and jolting transitions while construction companies finish resurfacing for the final phase of nearby highway widening and new construction, that got me thinking: are there any actual standards? Any required maximum grades?

I'm talking about situations where it's usually a concrete surface of some sort, typically a bridge, and they need to mill down the asphalt surface immediately before and after the concrete surface. Usually there's a mound of fresh asphalt they lay and shape to provide a softer transition instead of a straight 90 degree hard angle with like 3 inches in height difference.

The vast majority I've ever encountered in life have been perfectly acceptable though perhaps annoying. Annoying is OK in the end for temporary surfaces.
But there are a few around here, it's maybe like 10% of them, that are painful and incredibly jarring. Afterward I'm petting my dashboard apologizing to my car.

There are generally crucial standards in highway construction in regards to elevation changes over time. I'd be surprised if there weren't typically regulations of some sort that demanded a certain slope for these temporary transitions. Considering the worst ones I've experienced tend to appear to be like a 45 degree angle that starts maybe 6" or less from the edge to cover a few inch difference in surface height. It doesn't feel good on my car or on my bones, and I would definitely believe that there are serious safety risks here due to either driver behavior or shoddy vehicle maintenance.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Don't quote me, but I believe anything over 2" is supposed to have a transition. Dunno if that's state, federal, 'best practices', or simply bullshit :^D Seems like I've seen that somewhere though.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Don't quote me, but I believe anything over 2" is supposed to have a transition. Dunno if that's state, federal, 'best practices', or simply bullshit :^D Seems like I've seen that somewhere though.

Well my question I guess would be, assuming that a transition is required, is there a standard for that transition itself?

90% of the ones I have experienced have been just fine even with my stiffer ride. But a few are just tiny, very short, steep slope, incredibly jarring. I get that there is probably leeway and perhaps state transportation boards just don't care enough to enforce anything for temporary transitions, but when so many are done right it's that much more bothersome when some are done to a totally different standard.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
There's a spec for just about everything, but I suspect it's left to the contractor's judgment in practice. I'm not that involved in that part of the process. I tell them what it needs to be when finished, and it happens.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
This is from the IFB of a job I'm working on now...

Screenshot-20190523-232718.jpg

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
This is from the IFB of a job I'm working on now...

Screenshot-20190523-232718.jpg

Am I reading that right, in that the "tie-in" would be the transition between differing surface heights for temporary construction?

At minimum, for any road speed, 4 ft of transitional slope per 1" in surface height difference?!

Crikey - even the "best" transitions I've encountered in Ohio I would judge to be no more than 2-3ft for any height difference. Getting length cues while driving at speed tends to be challenging and may leave my estimates a little off, but still I'd reckon at least a foot for most average temporary transitions. The worst offenders appear to be less than 6" for perhaps a 2-3" height difference. Now if I wasn't clear before, that's after they stripped away a few inches from asphalt road surface leading up to a bridge deck (or trailing the deck), and then just put in a barely useful wedge of asphalt. I mean great, it's better than a 3" 90 degree sharp edge but that's barely serviceable.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Am I reading that right, in that the "tie-in" would be the transition between differing surface heights for temporary construction?

At minimum, for any road speed, 4 ft of transitional slope per 1" in surface height difference?!
That's correct. Also, keep in mind this is a state job, on an interstate. Little county/town jobs may have different/no standards with varying enforcement levels. The small jobs I do are mostly with the same contractor, so they'll maintain the same standards whether they're told to or not. IOW, I don't know how widely that standard applies.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
I would believe FHWA would have some guidlines for all temporary pavement.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If there is a standard my city sure ain't following it! lol. Roads are not bad now since it's still winter but wait until spring in a few months when the snow starts to melt and it looks like WW2 happened overnight. It's common for people to lose wheels or get dented rims if not paying attention. Some potholes can be super bad.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I-95 from the NY state line pretty much all the way to New Haven is a perpetual disaster courtesy of being the primary freight route for heavy trucks heading into New England 24/7.

The issue believe it or not has to do with a serious lack of railroad freight crossings over/under the lower Hudson river and the overall degradation of the Northeast's (and America's) railroad freight systems.

Last edited: