RNC chairman unveils new plan to bring the GOP's message to the (sub) urban minorities/hip hop afficionadoes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm all in favor of the GOP building their 'street cred' with some convictions. They already have the 'NO SNITCH' part down.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Phokus

RNC chair plans 'off the hook' campaign, tells critics to ?stuff it?
Posted: 01:16 PM ET

(CNN) ? Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele says his party is going to launch an "off the hook" public relations campaign that will update the GOP?s image by translating it to "urban-suburban hip-hop settings."

Going with that theme, Steele announced that, from now on, he wants to be known as "Notorious GOP." :laugh:

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Phokus

RNC chair plans 'off the hook' campaign, tells critics to ?stuff it?
Posted: 01:16 PM ET

(CNN) ? Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele says his party is going to launch an "off the hook" public relations campaign that will update the GOP?s image by translating it to "urban-suburban hip-hop settings."

Going with that theme, Steele announced that, from now on, he wants to be known as "Notorious GOP." :laugh:

... young Jeezy and Nas bettah step off for da Notorious GOP

:laugh:

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Yeah, I think the Reps are gonna need more than 4 years to "expand" their base with "centrist" views like this:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.c...ual/2009_02/017020.php

CIVIL UNIONS MUST NOT BE CUTTING EDGE.... Last week, RNC Chairman Michael Steele said he's committed to an "off the hook" public relations offensive that will appeal to voters, especially younger Americans, who've rejected Republicans. "We're going beyond cutting-edge," Steele promised.

He added, "[W]e need to uptick our image with everyone, including one-armed midgets."

In Steele's embrace of modernity, gay Americans apparently fall somewhere below one-armed midgets. Here's the Republican National Committee head talking to conservative talk-show host Mike Gallagher yesterday:

GALLAGHER: Is this a time when Republicans ought to consider some sort of alternative to redefining marriage and maybe in the road, down the road to civil unions. Do you favor civil unions?

STEELE: No, no no. What would we do that for? What are you, crazy? No. Why would we backslide on a core, founding value of this country? I mean this isn't something that you just kind of like, "Oh well, today I feel, you know, loosey-goosey on marriage." [...]

GALLAGHER: So no room even for a conversation about civil unions in your mind?

STEELE: What's the difference?

Keep in mind, this represents another step backwards for the Republican Party. After all, both George W. Bush and Dick Cheney have publicly expressed their support for civil unions, as have most Americans, and even conservative governors of very "red" states.

It is an entirely mainstream position. And yet, for the chairman of the RNC, to even ask about Republicans "considering" civil unions is "crazy."

So, to recap:

Steele: We're gonna reach out to everyone

Q: What about Civil unions? Not marriage, but just equal rights like visiting your life partner is a hospital or inheritance, etc?

Steele: Fuck them faggots!

I don't think the one-armed midgets are going to be impressed.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: jonks
Yeah, I think the Reps are gonna need more than 4 years to "expand" their base with "centrist" views like this:

CIVIL UNIONS MUST NOT BE CUTTING EDGE.... Last week, RNC Chairman Michael Steele said he's committed to an "off the hook" public relations offensive that will appeal to voters, especially younger Americans, who've rejected Republicans. "We're going beyond cutting-edge," Steele promised.

He added, "[W]e need to uptick our image with everyone, including one-armed midgets."

In Steele's embrace of modernity, gay Americans apparently fall somewhere below one-armed midgets. Here's the Republican National Committee head talking to conservative talk-show host Mike Gallagher yesterday:

GALLAGHER: Is this a time when Republicans ought to consider some sort of alternative to redefining marriage and maybe in the road, down the road to civil unions. Do you favor civil unions?

STEELE: No, no no. What would we do that for? What are you, crazy? No. Why would we backslide on a core, founding value of this country? I mean this isn't something that you just kind of like, "Oh well, today I feel, you know, loosey-goosey on marriage." [...]

Keep in mind, this represents another step backwards for the Republican Party. After all, both George W. Bush and Dick Cheney have publicly expressed their support for civil unions, as have most Americans, and even conservative governors of very "red" states.

It is an entirely mainstream position. And yet, for the chairman of the RNC, to even ask about Republicans "considering" civil unions is "crazy."

So, to recap:

Q: What about Civil unions? Not marriage, but just equal rights like visiting your life partner is a hospital or inheritance, etc?

In case you didnt notice. The black vote sunk prop 8 opposition in Cali. The republicans reaching out to the inner city is a good thing. Decades of democrat rule hasnt done shit for them. Perhaps if the republicans can get their msg across to conservative blacks and latino's it will change perception. In the past the republicans didnt even bother. Except Bush|rove did campaign hard for the Latino vote and won a lot of it too boot. McCain didnt bother, got smothered, and lost big time.

This comes off corny but the idea is right. The republican party has to expand its appeal. being the white party is a death sentence.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Nice "talk" coming from the GOP.

Just how they intend to make inroads into the young urban/suburban demographic will be interesting to see.

bashing civil unions isn't a good start. And saying trash like that on Gallaghers show isn't really showing any sort of change in GOP strat...more like same ol same ol right-wing talkshow crap.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
50 cent is a Republican - I don't care who wins just think it's funny as hell and OP too.:D Can't wait to see about 20 60 something white doods with thier snoop hats on.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: jonks

So, to recap:

In case you didnt notice. The black vote sunk prop 8 opposition in Cali. The republicans reaching out to the inner city is a good thing. Decades of democrat rule hasnt done shit for them. Perhaps if the republicans can get their msg across to conservative blacks and latino's it will change perception. In the past the republicans didnt even bother. Except Bush|rove did campaign hard for the Latino vote and won a lot of it too boot. McCain didnt bother, got smothered, and lost big time.

This comes off corny but the idea is right. The republican party has to expand its appeal. being the white party is a death sentence.

Decades of democratic rule has lifted many black people into the middle class.
What message are the Republicans going to give to conservative blacks and latinos?
We are against poverty programs and affirmative action, but vote for us anyway?
We oppose most civil rights legislation, but we're here for you?

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Yeah, I don't really see what the Republicans have to offer minorities on about everything other than minor issues like same-sex marriage. Also, Prop 8 was a marriage issue, not a civil unions issue. My understanding is that most of the country supports either civil unions or same-sex marriage. Republicans are going to alienate a lot of people if they shun both of these groups. It really is an enormous step backward.

Please, Republicans, PLEASE. Abandon the neocon social conservative BS and take some notes from the libertarians. I'm sure I'm not the only moderate Democrat out there who would seriously consider voting Republican if you guys gave us some decent candidates.