RNC chair calls Obama "Capt. Schettino"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Who, exactly, was the captain of the ship when he ran it into a known and completely avoidable rock? What party was he from?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
The economies of countries that have free people and relatively free markets are never "perfect", but riding the bubbles in the economy is great going up (as it was in the Clinton years) and very bumpy and rough going down. The US is too big and too diverse to say "well, European countries can do X and avoid Y, so why can't we?" Their system... less free and more regulated than ours... is fine for them, but would not necessarily be good for us.

One of the bigger ways we're lied to by our two-party system is the old (and very true) adage: success has a thousand fathers, but failure is an orphan.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
The economies of countries that have free people and relatively free markets are never "perfect", but riding the bubbles in the economy is great going up (as it was in the Clinton years) and very bumpy and rough going down. The US is too big and too diverse to say "well, European countries can do X and avoid Y, so why can't we?" Their system... less free and more regulated than ours... is fine for them, but would not necessarily be good for us.

One of the bigger ways we're lied to by our two-party system is the old (and very true) adage: success has a thousand fathers, but failure is an orphan.

Presidents always get more blame than they deserve and more credit than they've earned.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
^ Reagan's dead, as are the effectiveness of his ideas and policies. Time to move on kiddo.

Generator

Mar 4, 2005
This is a party in its last throes, the Republican party is dead and Bush and his extraordinary neocons killed it. Now all that is left is clumsy racists and a smattering of minorities. There is a reason why Obama has a billion dollar campaign, the special interests have willed it so. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised that the Republican party is kept around just to soothe the rednecks from resorting to terrorism. Let them pretend they have a voice in this country.

Still...it is rather stunning how many mainstream loons make up the right wing.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Who, exactly, was the captain of the ship when he ran it into a known and completely avoidable rock? What party was he from?

He is from Naples, Italy. I have not seen any place talk about what political party he supports.

Why is it relevant to him running the ship aground?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

A good half dozen people come in here spouting dnc partisan hackery and you are silent about it. I do not comment if it is good or bad and you call me a RNC partisan hack. Imagine that...I think your bias is showing, no matter how loudly you proclaim you have none.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I don't think the comparison was all that offensive or anything...but it is kind of juvenile, and a pretty good example of what's wrong with modern politics (more so on the right, IMO, but the left is hardly innocent). Instead of substantive policy discussion, it's all about talking points that appeal to (and can be understood by) morons. In particular, morons who already agree with you.

In this case the comment is even dumber than the usual analogy, since for all the negative things the Republicans COULD focus on, trying to paint Obama as "running away" doesn't really make a lot of sense. Neither does complaining about things Obama is doing that are part of being President, like running for re-election.

I still like Obama, but I can admit that there are legitimate complaints about his performance as President that the Republicans could bring up as part of their campaign. Instead it's stuff like this. It almost makes me think that maybe they don't REALLY believe their choices are any better. After all, if you're not making substantive policy arguments...maybe it's because you can't. At least that's kind of the impression it's reasonable to come away with here.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
A good half dozen people come in here spouting dnc partisan hackery and you are silent about it. I do not comment if it is good or bad and you call me a RNC partisan hack. Imagine that...I think your bias is showing, no matter how loudly you proclaim you have none.

No one but you has tried to assert that I have a bias and more than one person has explicitly said I don't have a R or D bias. That says more about you than it ever will about me.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This current RNC Chairman seems especially sleazy. I don't see anything from him but sleezy attacks.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Newt was speaker of the GOP controlled Congress.

The deficit was turned around beginning with Clinton's first year, after a Republican president, before Congress was Republican.

Things turned around for the worst the first year after Clinton, under the same Republican congress.

The economic improvement was immediately after a major Clinton economic bill with nearly unanimous Republican opposition and claims it would ruin the economy.

Every Republican commentator I can find said the economy would be greatly damaged. They were all proven wrong.

Your implication is false. The correlation of good results was a Democratic correlation. The Democratic policy was enacted in 1993, they get credit or blame.

Clinton wasn't perfect, and the 30 year trend since Reagan in the wrong direction continued but less so under Clinton.

Poverty went down, etc.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Newt was speaker of the GOP controlled Congress.

Well, until his own party dumped him...

Perhaps the most telling aspect of modern Righties is the state of utter denial as to how we've arrived here. They like to think that the Bush years never existed, years when Repub policy ran roughshod over everything else, and they like to forget that Bush & Cheney couldn't show their faces at the 2008 RNC for the good of the Party. They like to forget that the economy was in freefall when Obama took office, & that the Bush Admin had been forced to completely reverse course from their hands off banking policy to bailing the bastards out.

It's like something straight out of 1984, like raising the chocolate ration, & everybody believing it actually happened...

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well, until his own party dumped him...

Perhaps the most telling aspect of modern Righties is the state of utter denial as to how we've arrived here. They like to think that the Bush years never existed, years when Repub policy ran roughshod over everything else, and they like to forget that Bush & Cheney couldn't show their faces at the 2008 RNC for the good of the Party. They like to forget that the economy was in freefall when Obama took office, & that the Bush Admin had been forced to completely reverse course from their hands off banking policy to bailing the bastards out.

It's like something straight out of 1984, like raising the chocolate ration, & everybody believing it actually happened...

Bush been almost unmentioned in the Republican debates. In the first 16:

Bush 56
Obama 560
Reagan 221

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...a-taboo-topic/2012/01/19/gIQAmG0vBQ_blog.html

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
If only we had the power of the internets at our fingertips!

I'm old enough to know when we didn't, but it's also something my father used to say. For some reason his cynicism of government seemed to grow with our involvement in Vietnam. I wonder if they were connected?