RMClock and Core 2 Duo

tempoct

May 1, 2006
Anyone use RMClock to manage speed/power of OCed Core2 Duo?
Speed step wouldn't do much good coz it automatically set Vcore and that introduce instability when OC. RMClock seems to allow setting both Vcore and multiplier to use. Maybe it's a good solution to have it throttle CPU speed to minimize the heat.
I have used RMClock on two of my A64 box with success. Wonder if anyone has experience with the RMClock on Core2 Duo. Option is slightly different, like ODCM (throttling).
BTW, I have Asus P5B Deluxe and E6300. OCed to 3.3GHz.

dwcal

Jul 21, 2004
I'm using it, but not for OCing. I have an E6300 with a cheapo ECS P4M800Pro board from a Fry's special. It doesn't OC at all so I'm running it stock for now. You don't need RMClock to adjust the multiplier for power saving (Speedstep). Just set the power profile to Minimal Power Management, and XP will clock it down to 6x when the load is low.

I use RMClock to undervolt the CPU and results are pretty dramatic. I took Vcore from 1.3V to the minimum 1.162V, and it's completely stable at stock speed. I measured power consumption with 2 prime torture tests running, and it dropped from 95W to 80W. The core temp dropped a lot too.

How accurate is the core temp in RMClock? On mine it reads 7C lower at idle than the hardware monitoring screen in BIOS.

tempoct

May 1, 2006
I'm trying to throttle the CPU. I don't wanna use stock speed step coz I'm ocing.
I have the CPU ran stable @ 3.3GHz but don't wanna run at that speed all the time. Maybe I will try to experiment with ODCM.