Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I bought a cel2 566 oem from a reputable dealer
(good reseller ratings) when it arrived I took a
close look at it and WTF! a round circluar scuff
mark on the pcb EXACTLY the size of a G orb cooler
!.Well, as you can imagine it didn't do the 850
"dance" so I sent it back and got one from
Compuwiz and it's rock-solid @850. My point???
the 25-30% of these that wont OC just get sent
back to the vendor who promptly will put them
back in stock. As more and more people send back
the duds then the chances of getting a good one
drop DRAMATICLY..might be better off buying a
boxed cpu or pre-tested (mine was an OEM)..

Nick Stone

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Yep, it's a tough decision to decide who to buy from. If you're just buying one and you can't spend hours each week checking out these webboards then Compuwiz1 is the way to go.
Otherwise read the fine print on the companies return policy. If they allow "no returns unless defective" then you have a better chance. Also it helps to talk to the company (owner if it's a small company) and find out if they are testing the cpus before shipment for ANY reason. Of course, if they, or their sister company sells Pre-tested CPUs then it should be obvious that the "left-overs" get sold to the unsuspecting.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Butch, I'm not going to disclose who the dealer is either, but I will tell you, that I have not been getting any from there, due to an all time number of duds, like almost all of the last 2 batches. What happens is once several CPUs are culled, they sold back into the black market, where large dealers can buy them in quantity for less then they normally have to pay their Wholesale distributors. This can mean that somewhere along the way, the cpus may have been tested for Overclocking. It is not necessarily the fault of the vendor, but the source where they got them. :(

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
BTW Compuwiz mine is running stable and cool @1.7. Looped Q2,
Final reality and 3Ddmark2000 all night and totally rock-solid!!
Too bad chips that won't OC cant be sold at a discount to E-machines
or something. ( who's gomnna OC one of those) That would be a win-
win for everyone...