RMA or not to RMA.. Good Ol' GXP

Poontos

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2000
So my 40GB IBM 60GXP HD drive crapped out and was un-repairable via DFT "repair bad sectors" option.

Intially put the HD in another PC, but could not access the data on either of the partitions.

So I gave up on retreiving the data off them and decided to run the completely "erase disk" option.

So I run the Advanced Test again and of course it did not detect any errors.

I setup an RMA via the IBM website, so they are sort of waiting for the HD, but are they just going to run
the same test and say "it tested fine here via the DFT, sorry" then send it back to me? How can I prove
that this drive is probably crap now and I do not trust it?

Thanks...

Curley

Oct 30, 1999
They will send you a different one. I've run into the same problem with a friends Video Editing Machine. I had two 60GXP in a raid 0 and the HDTach scores and timings were off. The drives were working fine but not good enough for capture, and they replaced them with no problem at all.

Curley

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001
How long does it take for them to send the replacement? I sent mine off on the 10th and they still haven't shipped a new drive.

Curley

Oct 30, 1999
They usually RMA between 4 and 10 days from the time they receive them.

Good Luck

kursplat

Golden Member
May 2, 2000
i'm suprised they don't have a deal like western digital's. you can put new drive on you credit card (not charging your account), they ship new drive immedietly , and they clear the card when they get the old drive. saves 2-3 days. very nice