RJ 45 crimpers

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i was hoping someone would recommend a nice one, not just the 1st one they could find on newegg.

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
Recommend me a good RJ-45 crimping tool.

The generics work fine. If you are going to be doing 100's, then you might want a little better quality, like Paladin or similar.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
You definitely want to go ebay for this. For <$15, you can get a crimper, a few hundred jacks, a few hundred boots and a bundle of zipties.

While you're there, I'd suggest emailing the guy selling this

I bought this same model from him last week. If you're not an overstock.com auction member, he'll still let you paypal him and ship to your confirmed paypal address.

You can't beat $8 for an Ethernet tester.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
get an AMP one with a ratchet.

oh - and don't ever make your own patch cables. Seriously bad idea.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07

Why? I've made upwards of 100 and haven't had an issue now going on 2 years...

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
I have a set of Ideal Rachet Telemaster crimpers. They work well and I've had them for several years.

I bought mine at Lowe's for ~ $50. I'm sure they can be had cheaper online though.

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003

Haha, this man speaks the truth. I got cable internet yesterday to repalce my DSL. Made a patch cable since I didn't have enough coax. Damn thing wouldn't work. I've been making and crimping cables for years now, but this would not work. Everything to spec, colors correct. Who knows...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

try telling that to my boss. actually, try telling him anything and see where it gets you.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Pastore

If the cable hasn't been scanned for whatever category rating you are installed you can't say you don't have performance problems. While a cable may appear to function properly you don't know until it is certified. Even the most seasoned cable installers will tell you this and they avoid crimping ends onto cable like the plague.

Make a few cat6 cables, scan them and you'll find that many of them will fail.

Hannover

Jan 25, 2005
I use an AMP model that is most likely overkill for what you need. It's a full set with everal dies, hard case and other tools.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000

If the cable hasn't been scanned for whatever category rating you are installed you can't say you don't have performance problems. While a cable may appear to function properly you don't know until it is certified. Even the most seasoned cable installers will tell you this and they avoid crimping ends onto cable like the plague.

Bah, we won't be rolling out gigabit for another year at least, we'll worry about it then. :p

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
If you're just doing an occasional one: Just get a cheapy
If you're going to be making alot of cables, doing installations, etc... get one with a ratcheting mechanism and die at the top. (many are available that use RJ11 and RJ45)

Greenlee makes good tools.

But for patch cables, a cable from a supplier with moulded ends will save you alot of headaches.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000

Because machines can crimp cables better, harder and faster than humans can.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

When cat6 is installed in a school or something, do they actually go around and certify every jack??

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: thirdeye
I have a set of Ideal Rachet Telemaster crimpers. They work well and I've had them for several years.

I bought mine at Lowe's for ~ $50. I'm sure they can be had cheaper online though.

I have that one too and like it. Mine is from Home Depot. The UTP stripper was about $20 extra.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I love all the replies in threads like these to never make your own. I make all my own with no issues. Why do they sell the supplies to make them if its so horrible to make your own?