Rivals Say Halliburton Dominates Iraq Oil Work

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
No suprise here. Here is administration that flew on Enron jet while campaigning, then stopped FERC from doing its job as Enron and others pillaged CA through blatant market manipulation. Dare I say it's the most corrupt administration since Dick Nixon?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
This is laughable, considering Halliburton is so much larger than the rest of the oil companies.
Does anyone really care if we take oil? Reguardless of how much we buy from iraq the people will have a much better time.

KMurphy

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
Can you name all the companies on the planet that are capable of oil infrastructure work of this magnitude?
There are two in the US - Halliburton (KBR) and Schlumberger. Why give the contract to non-US applicants when we can do it ourselves?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Why did no one complain in 1998 when haliburton got a 2billion contract for kosovo construction?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I don't really think any of this should be a surprise. In fact, I'm kinda wondering why they aren't just writing checks out directly to Cheney.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I don't really think any of this should be a surprise. In fact, I'm kinda wondering why they aren't just writing checks out directly to Cheney.
They are (or will) but the addressee and addressor might be different from what you expect.

Moonbeam says the purpose of government is to give every chimp a banana. Now I finally understand! Monkeys scratch each other's backs, right? Chenney evolved from the same ancestor as the monkey. He hasn't forgotten how to scratch backs. Halburton is a jungle where monkeys roam. Halburton's monkeys scratch Chenney's back and Chenney scratches their backs. Quite often as reward for good scratching, bananas are given.

So if in the future the media reports Chenney received a bunch of bananas you'll know what happened.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison
Why did no one complain in 1998 when haliburton got a 2billion contract for kosovo construction?

Are you talking about the construction of the US base? What other contract did Haliburton got in Kosovo? As far as I know, Kosovo rebulding effort was lead by UN unlike what is going on in Iraq.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: rchiu

Are you talking about the construction of the US base? What other contract did Haliburton got in Kosovo? As far as I know, Kosovo rebulding effort was lead by UN unlike what is going on in Iraq.

Either way, same company, same taxpayers.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Did Halliburton have to compete for the contract in Kosovo?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

I dont know, it was still a 2 Billion contract. I would imagine it was done with similar circumstances since it was a post war effort.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

I dont know, it was still a 2 Billion contract. I would imagine it was done with similar circumstances since it was a post war effort.

Was there someone in the administration closely tied to Halliburton during Kosovo?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Was there someone in the administration closely tied to Halliburton during Kosovo?

I have no idea, but I did not see anyone complain about the boeing tanker deal and Dashole(his wife is a high ranking boeing exec). Haliburton is big contracoter and tends to get big goverment contracts. It did not seem to be a problem then, so I dont see how it can be a problem now.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: SuperTool
No suprise here. Here is administration that flew on Enron jet while campaigning, then stopped FERC from doing its job as Enron and others pillaged CA through blatant market manipulation. Dare I say it's the most corrupt administration since Dick Nixon?

Where do you think politicians come from or go to respectively before and after office?

Dare you say it's the most corrupt administration since Dick Nixon? You can say whatever you want. But you're responsible for your comments and a relative analysis is in order.

As for Enron and California, the company simply took advantage of business opportunities that were available at the time, due to highly inept regulation mechanisms and incompetent regulators. If you were the CEO of enron, would you let those opportunities pass for the sake of ethics? The answer is HELL NO. If someone is stupid enough to sell you assets way below market price, then the seller is the fool, not the buyer.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari

As for Enron and California, the company simply took advantage of business opportunities that were available at the time, due to highly inept regulation mechanisms and incompetent regulators. If you were the CEO of enron, would you let those opportunities pass for the sake of ethics? The answer is HELL NO. If someone is stupid enough to sell you assets way below market price, then the seller is the fool, not the buyer.
Oh please, now you're defending Enron? That's rich.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

I have no idea, but I did not see anyone complain about the boeing tanker deal and Dashole(his wife is a high ranking boeing exec). Haliburton is big contracoter and tends to get big goverment contracts. It did not seem to be a problem then, so I dont see how it can be a problem now.

So you think privatizing the military is going to save money if only 1 company is bidding? That pretty much defeats the purpose of privatizing it if you ask me. The problem with Halliburton is that Cheney is obviously connected and there was no bidding. It seems pretty obvious that there's a conflict of interests there, no? I guess you're one of the few that doesn't see it.

KMurphy

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
I like how all you screaming idiots think upstream production is as easy as pushing the power button on your computer. Dumbasses.