risk of electrocution from a cell phone during a lightning storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ok, I call a friend of mine, a female, who thinks she knows a lot about computers but really doesn't. ("Can't listen to AOL music at the same time as logging into the Pogo web site to play games. Don't have AOL toolbar. Can you help me? I used to be able to do this with my old computer.") (I built her her new computer.)

Anyways, I mention that there's a thunderstorm outside, and she immediately says, "shouldn't you get off the phone, you'll get electrocuted!". I inform her that no, I'm on a CELL phone, and that there isn't a risk, but then she re-iterates, "you can still get electrocuted!".

So I call a different friend, someone who is a dedicated MMO gamer, and knows a decent amount about computers, but still has someone else upgrade and work on his PC. (Ok, perhaps he doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows, because he refuses to install his new router that I sold him, he's waiting for me to get back from vacation to install it for him. How hard can it be, two cables??)

But anyways, I figure he has half a clue, so I relay the story, and he too, seems to think that there is a higher risk of electrocution when talking on a cell phone.

Mind you, in both scenarios, this is indoors. Not standing outside in the weather.

Am I nuts, or is everyone else?

How the F is talking on the cell phone any more of an electrocution risk than not talking on a cell phone?

Edit: PS. Yes, I know I need to find more intelligent friends. It's not easy. Unless I invite all of AT highly technical forum over for coffee or something.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Well technically you are interfering with the EM field around you, so it's possibly conceivable that the risk is increased. But what is most likely is the carry over from people getting hit from lightning while on a hard wired phone, happens all the time. So they associated talking on the phone with an increased risk.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
wow.

I am going to start selling 'THOR-TECTION' devices.

Attach this advanced THOR-TECTION device to your cell phone. You're now free to speak on your cell phone without fear of electrocution from lightning strikes

Only $49.95

I suppose if you were charging your cell phone and talking at the same time, there would be some risk.

Redfraggle

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2009
Originally posted by: G Wizard
wow.

I am going to start selling 'THOR-TECTION' devices.

Attach this advanced THOR-TECTION device to your cell phone. You're now free to speak on your cell phone without fear of electrocution from lightning strikes

Only $49.95

I suppose if you were charging your cell phone and talking at the same time, there would be some risk.

Where can I buy this miraculous item??

*face palm*

I'm pretty sure there's no huge risk. I mean, you *are* using an electronic device, but the threat indoors has always been related to conductivity, not simply using an electronic device.

Maybe you could ask mythbusters and prove it to your friends.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Wait, so there are people who think that you shouldn't talk on cell phones during thunderstorms because you can get electrocuted?

The imagination is quite profound! I would request that you ask those people to depart from imagination land, and to instead reside in the real world.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
If you are inside there shouldn't be a risk...

it is different if you are standing outside...

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Almost over zero people a year die from cell phone related lightning strikes, cell phone based hurricane force winds and cell phone induced intra-dimensional time rifts. This isn't a joke guys.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The only way it would happen is if he was in a field making him the highest point relative to ground or if he was on top of a roof where again he was the tallest point. Neither situation requires a cell phone to get struck, it is actually your body that is the problem . There is a reason old farmers say that if you are in the middle of a field and it starts to get stormy and your hair starts to stand up to hit the ground.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
There's no more thread of electrocution by cellphones during a thunderstorm than there would be if you'd shine a flashlight up at the clouds.

The only "risk" would be due to the tiny amount of metal in the cellphone. If you wear metal-frame glasses, they'd pose a greater risk, and still, I use the term "risk" very loosely. There's also a risk that Thor himself will appear before you and bash in your head with his mighty Hammer, simply because he was bored.

So for once, I agree with theflyingpig.

Status
Not open for further replies.