Risen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
This sure looks sweet but 1) I hope they have a really great story line, 2) it has not only depth but length of gameplay, 3) it isn't bug infested, and 4) my rig can play it.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Ultralight
This sure looks sweet but 1) I hope they have a really great story line, 2) it has not only depth but length of gameplay, 3) it isn't bug infested, and 4) my rig can play it.

Agreed

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I played and beat G3 at release without any "community patches", was it buggy? Yea, to some degree. So was Gothic 1 and 2 for that matter. Anyone who says otherwise has some sort of selective memory. I've gotta believe that the buggy-ness of all of PB's games has something to do with them. In which case, I have to expect Risen will have some level of buggy-ness as well, to believe otherwise is like expecting Bethesda to release a game with decent combat.

However, there is a slim chance they may end up with an amazing QA team to help narrow down all their bugs.

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
Thanks mindcycle for keeping us up-to-date. This game is certainly on my radar. I really hope my rig can play this game.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Release date announced! Oct. 2nd

Piranha Bytes, developer of the first three Gothic games, has announced that its RPG Risen will rise October 2 on PC and Xbox 360, with heavy testing now underway.

Piranha Bytes' entries in the Gothic series were often criticised as being buggy, but publisher Deep Silver points out that three quality assurance teams are already at work.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59390

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
Good stuff and I am really hoping the three quality assurance teams can do their job well. Even so, I am not expecting a bug free perfection, but I sure hope the inevitable first patch is due to minor flaws.

Thanks again, mindcycle. The only thing I want/need to know are the recommended (not minimum) hardware requirements.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Ultralight
Good stuff and I am really hoping the three quality assurance teams can do their job well. Even so, I am not expecting a bug free perfection, but I sure hope the inevitable first patch is due to minor flaws.

Thanks again, mindcycle. The only thing I want/need to know are the recommended (not minimum) hardware requirements.
No problem. I would like to know the system requirements as well. Seeing that it's also being made to run on the 360, i'd assume it would run well on a mid-level PC as long as they optimize the code.

Hopefully it's being designed for PC and "ported" to the 360.. It would be one of the first. :)

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Quick update on some new stuff.

Some gameplay vids here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.co...s-of-risen/#more-16374

Status update via RPGwatch

Piranha Bytes' lead designer Mike Hoge confirmed in a talk with the German print mag PC Games that a release candidate has been sent to publisher Koch Media before the GC. So the games is almost finished and on track for its Oct. 2nd release date. It will go into replication when the Koch Media QA is satisfied.

When asked about the next game Hoge said another Risen game would depend on the publisher. A new project would once again be a typical Piranha Bytes style RPG, in a fresh setting. Mr Hoge refused to give further details, but mentioned he would find a steampunk RPG attractive.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/#12961

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Hmm, Andy Serkis doing voice work? Let me guess, he does the voice for the little bug-eyed kobold character that was burning a doob in that one screenshot. Hey, didn't Gollum bash games in an interview he did, or at least make disparaging remarks? Way to back down on your own convictions, Andy.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
COULD be good, but some textures look very DX9.

I fear that that game will only be "and further we have..." since it will be overshadowed by titles like DA:eek: and whatever comes out in fall.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: flexy
COULD be good, but some textures look very DX9.
Graphics are less important than game play and a good story IMO, especially in an RPG. I can still play through Gothic 1 and have a good time. The graphics don't bother me at all.

I fear that that game will only be "and further we have..." since it will be overshadowed by titles like DA:eek: and whatever comes out in fall.
"Gothic" style RPG's may never be as popular as Oblivion or Mass Effect style games, but i'd take Gothic 3 any day over Oblivion.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
After G3, I don't trust anything this company puts out. G3 was the biggest waste of money out of any video game I've ever bought. I hated that damn game.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Originally posted by:mindcycle
Graphics are less important than game play and a good story IMO, especially in an RPG. I can still play through Gothic 1 and have a good time.

If they did nothing but remake Gothic 1 for consoles with some updates I would buy it in a heartbeat.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Dumac
After G3, I don't trust anything this company puts out. G3 was the biggest waste of money out of any video game I've ever bought. I hated that damn game.

Even being a total RPG fan..i have to agree. Mentioning "Gothic III" together with "Risen" makes me think twice to take a look at this.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
With the right patches are all 3 of the Gothic games bug free? I'm thinking of jumping on the bandwagon with the first game.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Oct 2 release date

Ok, I'm officially getting excited about Risen now. I hope it's not a letdown.

BTW Arkitech - I hope you haven't given up on trying the Gothic games. 1&2 are pretty clean now and definitely must-plays if you like RPGs.

They don't have the wow factor they did years ago but they still stand up.