Risen is $2.50

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
If you like rpgs at all and you haven't played it you have to pick this up.

It's not perfect, but it's a pretty damn good modern remake of Gothic. For less that the cost of a Starbuck's coffee.

doh - forgot to mention it's on STEAM.

Last edited:

blackwhiskers

Jan 6, 2013
it's also got trading cards these days, was surprised to see that.

and yes, it's pretty damn good. a fairly open world challenging combat-centric rpg with an asshole of a main character and other bigmouths as supporting cast. love it.

loganone

Jul 29, 2008
Great game. If you've ever played an Elder Scrolls game and thought, "You know, this is kind of boring", you'll love the Gothic/Risen series. Challenging combat, interesting locations, NPCs you'll actually care about, its so much better.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
Amazon let out that the Risen collection will be $5.99 on Black Friday so keep an eye out for it.

Feb 24, 2001
Are you fucking crazy...

Random NPC saying it, but always made me smile for some reason. Think it was the accent.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I went for the franchise pack for $9.99, which includes Risen 2. Thanks for the heads up, OP. Always wanted to play this and it's a great deal.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Played this a fair bit Saturday and Sunday. I really want to like it. It has many of the attributes of an old-school crpg, which is attractive. The environment is lush, if a little less "open world" than I usually like. The controls are intuitive and once you get a sense of timing the combat is fun. There is good voice acting for all of the npcs.

What I am not getting so far is the quest system. It seems to get confused if you meet NPCs or accomplish goals in the wrong order. I had one quest to get some hunters back to work where I had already helped one of them kill his problem beast before I met the NPC that gave me the main quest. Afterward the hunter still showed as a red dot on the map for that quest but had no additional dialog options or tasks for me. I ended up restarting and this time I might check out Harbortown first.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
The Hunter quest bug is the biggest known issue for Risen, but I thought they had patched it out.

The first time I played Risen (and the only time I've played it to completion) I encountered the bug as well, but since I was going full on melee it didn't hinder my progress at all. It was just annoying. The other times I've started the game I applied the latest patch that claims to fix it and I was able to do the hunter's quest without a problem.

Steam would have the latest patch, wouldn't it? Maybe it's still possible to trigger it if you talk to NPCs in the exact wrong sequence. But unless your trying to do a ranged character I wouldn't worry about it. I can't imagine it breaks the game even then, although I've never tried an archer in Risen.