Risen 3: Titan Lords; Third time a charm? *Update: gameplay*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DarthPader

Aug 13, 2013
Hmm, a typical Risen game.

A bit to much pirate theme, but ok.

And Guardian spells are like water and fire bending (Avatar) :p

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
so what is the more 'natural' order of going through the islands? (in order of difficulty).

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
so what is the more 'natural' order of going through the islands? (in order of difficulty).

I have not explored all the islands yet,but you can leave an island and come back to it later,personally after Crab coast I would recommend Antigua,Admiral is there which gets you started on main quest and island is not hard and small,as to other islands that I've done, not much between them IMHO,Kila a voodo island is not too hard has spiders,jaguars,alligators usual jungle creatures,Taranis mage island also not too hard,but as always depends on your skill and level.

DLC content you get Fog island which has a few tough mobs and demons(not too hard with Bones in your group),Isle of thieves all gnomes(friendly) and goblins(baddies) which was not hard,a few golems and alligators about hardest things there.

I recommend take Bones with you because he can fight and also heal you while in combat.

Caldor(I believe demon hunters based there) has lots of quests and Tacarigua I have not done either yet,they give you the freedom to do them in any order so up to you,just remember you can always leave and come back as many times as you like.

Some tips depending on class you decide.
Keep all crystals if you are going mage guardian,keep jade if you are going Voodoo,Keep ancient knowledge if you are going Demon hunter.

I would also say don't join a faction right away,do all quests on the faction islands first up to the point where you have to decide,then do a save and decide which one you want to join ie mage or demon hunter etc...That way when you do finish the game later you can always reload that save and choose a different faction to join and replay the game with different class.

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Played Risen 1 for a total of 1 hour before giving up and deeming it unworthy of my time.

1 hour is not much,you are well underpowered and miss out on lots of quests,story etc...

Anyway each to their own.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Mem I know you've played Risen 1 and 2. Would you say a) that they are worthwhile for someone who enjoys RPGs and b) that I should try to play those before Risen 3?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Mem I know you've played Risen 1 and 2. Would you say a) that they are worthwhile for someone who enjoys RPGs and b) that I should try to play those before Risen 3?

Risen 3 you play a new character and new story,Risen 2 was the worst of the three IMHO.

I understand RPGs are not for everyone,personally Risen 1 or 3 if I was going to play a Risen game.

Remember with Risen games is you always start off very weak and poor so it takes time for you to build up skills/strength and loot,time invested pays off in the end however.

Risen combat is love/hate between people you ask about it,personally I always try to go mage later since its always more fun.

Anyway might be worth trying a demo to see if you like it.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
You should play them just because they're fun. I personally liked Risen 2 more than 1 (and I couldn't even finish Risen 1 with the worst 'boss fight' ever in history of boss fights), but both are enjoyable. Besides, maybe by the time you finish Risen 1 and 2, Risen 3 will be on sale :)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
You should play them just because they're fun. I personally liked Risen 2 more than 1 (and I couldn't even finish Risen 1 with the worst 'boss fight' ever in history of boss fights), but both are enjoyable. Besides, maybe by the time you finish Risen 1 and 2, Risen 3 will be on sale :)

Boss fight at end of Risen 1 was only thing I hated,Risen 2 had no mage magic so you was left with voodoo magic and swords,guns but still pirate theme.

I think Risen 3 is probably my favourite now followed by Risen 1 then Risen 2 last.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Played Risen 1 for a total of 1 hour before giving up and deeming it unworthy of my time.

Ah, ok- seems people either like the series or really don't...I'd be more concerned if someone was a big fan of 1/2 and hated 3.

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
Well I've played it for 20 hours since I got it last Friday

How do you get to Antiga ?

I've done most of the quests in the starting Islands , really enjoying this. It's basically more Risen 2 (which I loved)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Well I've played it for 20 hours since I got it last Friday

How do you get to Antiga ?

I've done most of the quests in the starting Islands , really enjoying this. It's basically more Risen 2 (which I loved)

Go to your sloop boat providing you have done all the talk with Bones on Crab coast starter island(M key for map then click return to ship) on the front of boat is steering wheel select that then island of your choice.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Thanks guys, based on your advice i'm going to keep an eye on sales for Risen 1 and 2!

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
Go to your sloop boat providing you have done all the talk with Bones on Crab coast starter island(M key for map then click return to ship) on the front of boat is steering wheel select that then island of your choice.

Yeah I know how to move the ship about , Antiga is not on the world map ! It there but I can't highlight it

I guess I have to do a quest first but what one ? There is a quest to get a bigger ship but to get the quest completed (and get the big ship) I have to go speak to the admiral on Antiga

Stuck !

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Yeah I know how to move the ship about , Antiga is not on the world map ! It there but I can't highlight it

I guess I have to do a quest first but what one ? There is a quest to get a bigger ship but to get the quest completed (and get the big ship) I have to go speak to the admiral on Antiga

Stuck !

You get bigger ship far later into game,as to Antigua I could go there right away after spoiler warning!
after you die on start island ie crab coast and Bones resurrects you ,talk to him (make sure you done all the possible talk lines with him )and after that you can go there

Last edited:

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
You get bigger ship far later into game,as to Antigua I could go there right away after spoiler warning!
after you die on start island ie crab coast and Bones resurrects you ,talk to him (make sure you done all the possible talk lines with him )and after that you can go there

Got it cheers !

Done most of Antiga last night. Moved onto chapter 3

Think I'll have this game finished by the end of the weekend

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Just reached chapter 3 ,the game is long and I finally joined the mages as a guardian which is overpowered IMHO in combat but still fun,got the battlemage skill as well.

My magic skill is up to 90 ,I think I've all combat spells now.

I'm far from finished in the game.

:)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
So is tis game any good? Metric ratings are like sub good....

Good is relative to the game and user in question,some people think for example the first Bioshock was great, I thought it was crap and yes played through it.

Risen 3 is probably the best Risen game of the three IMHO and I'm still enjoying the game.

One tip,some legendary quests take you to NPCs for an item and when you check their merchandise it's not there,you might have to do a drinking contest or knife throwing contest to get that legendary item.

I'll say if you like Risen or Gothic type games then very much worth trying.

Very polished bug wise for a new game,not encountered any major bugs or even quests ones so far.

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Hmm, a typical Risen game.

A bit to much pirate theme, but ok.

And Guardian spells are like water and fire bending (Avatar) :p

Guardian combat spells are water/ice based,fire and lightning based,usual heal spell and also has AOE rain of fire spell,you also have a telekinesis grab spell for reaching items high up or at a distance.

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
I decided to go down the voodoo route

Nearly completed it I think , just got to get my spirit back. Played it for 39 hours now

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I decided to go down the voodoo route

Nearly completed it I think , just got to get my spirit back. Played it for 39 hours now

I did a pre faction save as well so I can replay it as voodoo or demon hunter later.

I still think it's the best Risen game so far.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Just finished the game after 46.5 hours playing time,you get your moneys worth.

Overall decent game.

DarthPader

Aug 13, 2013
I agree, overall it was a fun to be back in Risen hand crafted world, with all of its humor and tone of gnomes :D

Now its time to finish it with another faction :)

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
Just finished the game after 46.5 hours playing time,you get your moneys worth.

Overall decent game.

Half way through chapter four now

I think it's the best Risen game too , a lot longer than Risen 2

Took me 22 hours to complete Risen 2 , on hour 42 at the moment on the 3rd

Although I did kind of run though the end part of Risen 2