Rise of the Triad - July 31st!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
The new Rise of the Triad game releases on Steam on July 31st and it's only $14.99.

If you pre-order you get the following games in the Apogee Throwback Pack free:

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
Blake Stone: Planet Strike
Rise of the Triad
Extreme Rise of the Triad

The 14.99 price tag has me a bit worried though. Sounds like it will be super short and/or not very good. :(

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I had no idea this game existed until today.

New singleplayer FPS from Apogee Software? ...I don't know much about this, but fuck me, I'm buying it.

(Also, grab it off GMG for 25% off with code GMG25-BAWQB-8UQWG. Voucher expires soon though.)

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
This is mostly MP focused ... they had it last year at Quakecon. What are the odds, it's released the day before Quakecon starts this year!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The game looks like doom mashed with quake.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
damn, how the f am i supposed to buy the game when the site (GMG) is so damn slow? they have a timeout of 15 minutes but it takes 30 minutes to check out...

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
damn, how the f am i supposed to buy the game when the site (GMG) is so damn slow? they have a timeout of 15 minutes but it takes 30 minutes to check out...

Weird. The site works perfectly fine for me, took me maybe 2 minutes to put the game in my cart and check out. Maybe wait a little bit and try again.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
Gmg is having some kind of big sale starting today and it seems like it is being hammered.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
So I got the Apogee Throwback Pack (free with the RotT pre-order) and tried to play a little original RotT and damn, not having mouse look sucks! haha forgot about that in older games.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
GMG and amazon are having massive sales.

Amazon is having like a sale on over 100 games effective today til july 5th.

so yeah.. expect steam as well to be slowed down since amazon people will mostly register there keys with steam.

Personally after looking at more videos... i dont see whats so special about this game.
I can think of a couple F2P games which seem more interesting.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
GMG and amazon are having massive sales.

Amazon is having like a sale on over 100 games effective today til july 5th.

so yeah.. expect steam as well to be slowed down since amazon people will mostly register there keys with steam.

Personally after looking at more videos... i dont see whats so special about this game.
I can think of a couple F2P games which seem more interesting.

did you play the original? If not, then you don't get it.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
did you play the original? If not, then you don't get it.

no never played it... ur absolutely right... i dont get it.

Care to explain the game to people like me who never played?

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
no never played it... ur absolutely right... i dont get it.

Care to explain the game to people like me who never played?

Think Doom or Duke 3d but with over the top silly weapons, awesome powerups (Dog mode anyone?) and crazy levels on top of that with a bit of random humor thrown in for good measure.
Serious Sam would probably be the best modern equivalent of it.

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

ROFL... as stupid as the game was... i spent a lot of hours on it.
So yeah i was going with what i felt it was like.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
So I got the Apogee Throwback Pack (free with the RotT pre-order) and tried to play a little original RotT and damn, not having mouse look sucks! haha forgot about that in older games.

RotD definitely has mouse-look. Check to see if it's enabled in your settings.

I downloaded the game from Steam and configured the controls so it plays identically to a modern FPS (with the exception of vertical aiming). There's only a few keys to re-bind.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
RotD definitely has mouse-look. Check to see if it's enabled in your settings.

I downloaded the game from Steam and configured the controls so it plays identically to a modern FPS (with the exception of vertical aiming). There's only a few keys to re-bind.

mouse is enabled so i guess that is what you mean, you just can't aim up and down with it.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
ROTT multiplayer with the baseball bat was the very best.

I remember playing with friends at LAN parties. Hit somebody with the bat and it knocks them like 100 feet back.

This is a remake that interests me!

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I pre-ordered this morning. I've spent $15 on worse things and I get another copy of RoTT to go with my original CD. :)
Quick question for anyone else that pre-ordered; I haven't had time to install RoTT and Blake Stone yet, but do the versions on Steam require dos box or are they their own launcher thing?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I pre-ordered this morning. I've spent $15 on worse things and I get another copy of RoTT to go with my original CD. :)
Quick question for anyone else that pre-ordered; I haven't had time to install RoTT and Blake Stone yet, but do the versions on Steam require dos box or are they their own launcher thing?

They're pre-packaged with DOSbox, no extra tweaking is required.

mouse is enabled so i guess that is what you mean, you just can't aim up and down with it.

Yeah. When you said there's no mouse-look, I thought you meant there was no mouse-look at all. My mistake. I understand what you mean, it's more of a limited mouse look I guess.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Think Doom or Duke 3d but with over the top silly weapons, awesome powerups (Dog mode anyone?) and crazy levels on top of that with a bit of random humor thrown in for good measure.

SS makes the ROTT games look like they where made over a weekend by .. non game makers.. sorry just opinion ROTT was not a good game.. my prediction ROTT (new) will follow the NEW Duke game in quality and fun..

for those that like ROTT , no worries.. its just my opinion.. please anybody considering the game read the other posts too.. get the positive side too.. i think there are more of them then my negative one.