Rise of Flight

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Has anyone ever played this game before? Worth getting ?

http://riseofflight.com

Rise of Flight is a next generation WWI combat flight simulator for the PC. Immerse yourself in realistic aerial combat above the trenches. Fly famous aircraft including the Fokker Dr.1, Sopwith Camel, S.E.5a and Albatros D.Va. and many more!

ROF0.jpg

ROF115.jpg

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
It's free. Check it out.

I've had it since it was a paid for game. Definitely pretty, definitely fun, definitely realistic...I'm just not much into WWI as I am into WWII.

Only drawback is that you have to buy each plane, or buy them in packs. Addons also cost money.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
It looks pretty at times, and is a pretty good sim, but the hundreds of dollars of DLC is just retarded; especially since they ALL show up in the game, and the only way to tell if you can fly them, is to try and then find out 'nope, gotta buy that one'. Shady sales tactics in my opinion; those planes should not be listed in the game if you can't fly them.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
It looks pretty at times, and is a pretty good sim, but the hundreds of dollars of DLC is just retarded; especially since they ALL show up in the game, and the only way to tell if you can fly them, is to try and then find out 'nope, gotta buy that one'. Shady sales tactics in my opinion; those planes should not be listed in the game if you can't fly them.

Yeah the paid airplanes are a bad idea.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I have it but haven't played it too much. I've found it pretty fuckin hard but then again, like I said, haven't practiced much.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

It's the way games or sold now. All about the micro-transactions. Why sell a game for $60 when you can sell suckers hundreds of dollars worth of DLC.

Their new game, Channel Battles is a full paid version on Steam though. It's $45 IIRC.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
Their intended audience is likely the one that will pay the vast amounts of money for a proper flight sim experience, so that means full on stick, throttle, and rudder controls too.

I almost bought a box copy a couple years ago, but WW1 isn't my thing either. That's why I like War Thunder, as it covers the WW2 aircraft and early jet fighters.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
It's the way games or sold now. All about the micro-transactions. Why sell a game for $60 when you can sell suckers hundreds of dollars worth of DLC.

Their new game, Channel Battles is a full paid version on Steam though. It's $45 IIRC.

Yea, that is the version I bought. It comes with 10 or so planes, and you can fly against all the planes, even those you don't own (but you can't fly them yourself).

I've never seen another game list all the DLC in-game when you don't own it though; that really bugs me. It would be like Batman showing a huge list of playable characters, but the only way to know if you can actually play with a character is by trying (and then finding out you have to buy it).