RIP: Volkswagen Beetle

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_New_Beetle
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-volkswagen-ceo/last-volkswagen-beetle-drives-into-the-sunset-idUSKCN1U52GD

volkswagen_ceases_the_production_of_the_popular__beetle__after_21_years-4.jpeg

the New Beetle started production in 1998.
Last one rolled off the assembly line yesterday, July 10, 2019

edit: fixed spelling

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Volkswagen. It's spelled correctly in both the links you posted.
That said, I'm sure it will be back eventually, probably in EV form.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
good riddance, more appropriately. What a godawful, ugly car. I like VW and I appreciate the history of what is Hitler's car, but the beetle was just...never ever good, lol.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
good riddance, more appropriately. What a godawful, ugly car. I like VW and I appreciate the history of what is Hitler's car, but the beetle was just...never ever good, lol.
False.

FWIW, I think the current Golf is the ugliest incarnation it's ever had. It peaked with the Mk4 and has been going downhill since.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
False.

FWIW, I think the current Golf is the ugliest incarnation it's ever had. It peaked with the Mk4 and has been going downhill since.

I see that you are trying to start a fight, Mr. Frog. But really, the Mk4? No one likes the Mk4. :D

(guess I should elaborate: they were all dogs on performance, except for the R32. I think the crappiness of that generation overshadowed the styling)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I see that you are trying to start a fight, Mr. Frog. But really, the Mk4? No one likes the Mk4. :D

(guess I should elaborate: they were all dogs on performance, except for the R32. I think the crappiness of that generation overshadowed the styling)
I'm just talking aesthetics, I haven't owned one. I might actually like Mk2-3 more in that aspect, depending on the day you ask, but Mk4 where my interest in them ends.
I am considering a Fender edition Beetle whenever it's time to replace my "modern" vehicle (being a 2006).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm just talking aesthetics, I haven't owned one. I might actually like Mk2-3 more in that aspect, depending on the day you ask, but Mk4 where my interest in them ends.
I am considering a Fender edition Beetle whenever it's time to replace my "modern" vehicle (being a 2006).

I think the Mk1, Mk2, especially Mk2, are the best looking to date. Probably just because of the retro feel but also because "boxiness" has been back for some time, and those do boxiness the proper way, with the round headlights and all.

Why the beetle, though? I've never seen an account where beetle owners didn't bitch about how awful they are to drive and how terrible they are made. They seem especially unique to all of VW's catalogue in their particular shitiness. I mean...I don't mind shitty cars, especially if one enjoys those quirks, but this seems to follow the beetle across all generations more than any of their models. Wasn't the Beetle "R" famously bad? ...I think the Beetle R was more expensive than the GTI that year, but lost out in every single performance category and build quality was just atrocious. You're basically paying for the beetle look, right?

edit: ah, so it looks like the Fender edition is basically the R with some wooden interior features (and I guess their Fender sound system?)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I think the Mk1, Mk2, especially Mk2, are the best looking to date. Probably just because of the retro feel but also because "boxiness" has been back for some time, and those do boxiness the proper way, with the round headlights and all.

Why the beetle, though? I've never seen an account where beetle owners didn't bitch about how awful they are to drive and how terrible they are made. They seem especially unique to all of VW's catalogue in their particular shitiness. I mean...I don't mind shitty cars, especially if one enjoys those quirks, but this seems to follow the beetle across all generations more than any of their models. Wasn't the Beetle "R" famously bad? ...I think the Beetle R was more expensive than the GTI that year, but lost out in every single performance category and build quality was just atrocious. You're basically paying for the beetle look, right?

edit: ah, so it looks like the Fender edition is basically the R with some wooden interior features (and I guess their Fender sound system?)
IDK, I had a lot of fun with my '73 Super Beetle, no real complaints.
Didn't have any personal experience with the New Beetle until my teenager got one a few months ago, and so far no real complaints about that either (well, nothing out of the ordinary for a 20 year old car, mostly some of the plastic hasn't held up great). I've driven it a bit, I'd rank it as "fun".

Edit: Maybe I should qualify this, I'm not a data nerd when it comes to cars, I could give a load of dingo's kidneys whether this one has a .5 second better 0-60 time or better Gs on the skid-pad or whatever. I drive it, and if I like driving it, and it isn't a hassle to work on/constantly breaking, I like it.

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
We have 2 MKIV diesel manuals and a 2013 with the DSG, i just got that one for my wife. She was tired of shifting :D
13-beetle.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
IDK, I had a lot of fun with my '73 Super Beetle, no real complaints.
Didn't have any personal experience with the New Beetle until my teenager got one a few months ago, and so far no real complaints about that either (well, nothing out of the ordinary for a 20 year old car, mostly some of the plastic hasn't held up great). I've driven it a bit, I'd rank it as "fun".

Edit: Maybe I should qualify this, I'm not a data nerd when it comes to cars, I could give a load of dingo's kidneys whether this one has a .5 second better 0-60 time or better Gs on the skid-pad or whatever. I drive it, and if I like driving it, and it isn't a hassle to work on/constantly breaking, I like it.

sure, I agree that's all that matters in the end. People get attached to a certain thing. I just never could understand why these were always priced higher (the "new" generation of beetles) than their other comparable cars which are generally better from a quality standpoint. --it's one of those designs that I think you will either love or hate. Battle lines have been drawn throughout its lifetime.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I am 6'2" but have short legs and a torso like a 6'6" guy. The MKIV and later beetles have more headroom by far, more like my full sized ram truck.
Dennis Rodman had one, I have another 6'10" friend who had one.
I can ratchet the seat all the way up, and sit more upright like a truck driver's position. This greatly enhances my comfort.
I had a typical sedan before, and the low seating arrangement got to hurting after a couple of hours. Now I suspect that it would be more like an hour. Getting old sucks that way :)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
sure, I agree that's all that matters in the end. People get attached to a certain thing. I just never could understand why these were always priced higher (the "new" generation of beetles) than their other comparable cars which are generally better from a quality standpoint. --it's one of those designs that I think you will either love or hate. Battle lines have been drawn throughout its lifetime.
I was also not aware that they were priced higher, new car pricing is irrelevant to me as someone who never has and never intends to purchase a brand new car :p
Just consider it like the Apple Tax, I suppose.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Opinion:

The New Beetle WAS NOT A BEETLE- it was a nostalgia cash grab. They took a great car- the Golf, added oversized body panels to it, and made it a worse car that resembled something people remembered from decades ago. The original Beetle worked because:
- it was very inexpensive, so anyone could afford one.
- cost cutting resulting in interesting engineering, giving it charm
- it was very fuel efficient
- it was surprisingly practical with enough room for 4 people and storage space
- it was incredibly easy to maintain
- RWD and weight over the drive wheel gave it impressive traction in snow/mud/sand

The new Beetle gave us:
- An average price of $25000+, with options topping out over $40K!
- Literally every component in the car came from a Golf...except the "bud vase".
- Gas mileage was awful due to the high curb weight/low output engine.
- The back seats were unusable, and the trunk is a joke.
- The oddy shaped engine compartment made the 2.0L components difficult to reach.
- The FWD and nose-heavy combination gave it terrible traction. The car tends to oversteer like crazy due to lack of rear weight distribution.

IMO, if you want a Beetle, get a Toyota Scion. Their xA and xB lines literally checked all of the boxes of the Beetle:
- Costs were under $15000 new
- They used inexpensive interior materials, resulting in interesting designs, with dealer installed options available (options are "modular", snapping into place).
- 35MPG
- 4 people could sit comfortably in the xA, more in the xB.
- Bullet-proof Toyota VVT 1.6L that is easy to maintain and a well designed engine bay.
- FWD, but much better weight distribution makes them fun to drive and surprisingly good in nearly any environment.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I present the REAL car of the people...get two, they're cheap!

7f486bc23aec22c9fe61df8e8797ea8c.jpeg

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
- RWD and weight over the drive wheel gave it impressive traction in snow/mud/sand

My 1966 Beetle with a sunroof, the last of the 6 volt Beetles, had FAR better traction in adverse conditions than any front wheel drive car I've owned . . . and I've owned a bunch!

My Great Dane used to sit on the rear seat, with his head sticking out of the open sunroof!

I loved that car. I respected that car. It was . . . honest. The direct mechanical connection was a joy. The "challenge" of keeping it properly motivated within its ridiculously narrow band of "happiness" was an unheralded safety feature that always kept you alert and "in the game" while driving.

That you and your passenger could reach out, at speed, and flip up the windshield wipers for your own personal kinetic show was just a bonus!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Opinion:

FWIW, my kid's last tank was a touch over 28MPG, I don't know if that really qualifies as "awful" for a 2000 New Beetle.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
I always thought their marketing was hilarious when they spent years talking about how safe it was *because of the rounded top* and then proceeded to release the convertible *with a cloth rounded top*.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It was kinda fun to drive, unlike the gigantic American automatics. Mine was, IIRC, 4 speed, 4 cylinder, 40hp, air cooled, engine in the back. It was a light car. On real windy days it could be tough to keep it in the center of a lane when going fast. I'm thinking top speed was probably about 80mph. I could fit all my worldly possessions in it.

I liked the fact that next year's model would be very much like it, etc. The made minor changes whereas Detroit was committed to producing something rather different every year, which struck me as insane.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hard to put any stock in that when they're talking about an electric microbus.

they're not just talking about an electric microbus, but converting their entire inventory to 100% electric by 2025 or something like that.

ballsy.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Opinion:

The New Beetle WAS NOT A BEETLE- it was a nostalgia cash grab. They took a great car- the Golf, added oversized body panels to it, and made it a worse car that resembled something people remembered from decades ago. The original Beetle worked because:
- it was very inexpensive, so anyone could afford one.
- cost cutting resulting in interesting engineering, giving it charm
- it was very fuel efficient
- it was surprisingly practical with enough room for 4 people and storage space
- it was incredibly easy to maintain

The new Beetle gave us:
- An average price of $25000+, with options topping out over $40K!
- Literally every component in the car came from a Golf...except the "bud vase".
- The back seats were unusable, and the trunk is a joke.
- The oddy shaped engine compartment made the 2.0L components difficult to reach.
- The FWD and nose-heavy combination gave it terrible traction. The car tends to oversteer like crazy due to lack of rear weight distribution.

IMO, if you want a Beetle, get a Toyota Scion. Their xA and xB lines literally checked all of the boxes of the Beetle:
- Costs were under $15000 new
- They used inexpensive interior materials, resulting in interesting designs, with dealer installed options available (options are "modular", snapping into place).
- 35MPG
- 4 people could sit comfortably in the xA, more in the xB.
- Bullet-proof Toyota VVT 1.6L that is easy to maintain and a well designed engine bay.
- FWD, but much better weight distribution makes them fun to drive and surprisingly good in nearly any environment.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I present the REAL car of the people...get two, they're cheap!

View attachment 8303

this guy gets it