RIP Jerry Lee Lewis dead at 87

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah I just realized recently he was still alive because someone on the web incorrectly announced he died. So well he's old so I figured he was maybe in hospice care. RIP to the King

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Jerry-Lee-Lewis-2.jpg

-------------------------------------------
Not to be confused with this guy..
1666986153991.jpeg

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
He certainly was one of the most important figures of rock. *not* because of his music, but because of his attitude. He really did "Rock" despite being clearly a blues musician.
Bit of a weird personal life, with the seven marriages, bigamy, and the often overlooked fact that he married his own cousin and was fucking her before she was even 13yo.
What a rascal.
I grew up with THIS album: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Survivors_(album) Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis

Reactions: blackangst1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Died: October 28, 2022 (aged 87). I did not notice a thread on this. If there is one please link me.

Elvis said if he could play piano like Jerry Lee Lewis he'd give up singing.

Here's a sample from the legendary inimitable rocker.

This and the following 7 posts were merged into this thread.
admin Allison

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pohemi

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The thread was in OT. I don't know much about him, barely noticed him as an 'artist', all I've known about him was that he really got into trouble when he came over here and bought his 13-year-old bride with him. Always struck me as quite weird that that only became an issue when non-Americans heard about it. Even odder that his bride said it was no big deal because where she came from "you can get married at 10". What kind of country _is_ the US?

All the orbituaries seemed to point out what a very questionable private life he had - no way would any of that stuff fly today.

I guess he had talent though, based on this verdict

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The thread was in OT. I don't know much about him, barely noticed him as an 'artist', all I've known about him was that he really got into trouble when he came over here and bought his 13-year-old bride with him. Always struck me as quite weird that that only became an issue when non-Americans heard about it.

All the orbituaries seemed to point out what a very questionable private life he had - no way would any of that stuff fly today.
I think if you check deeper you would see that it got him into deep trouble in America. He himself was perplexed when that happened, apparently where and how he grew up it didn't seem that strange. I believe the girl was his cousin, I don't know if 2nd cousin or whatever. However, it happened at the time that his career was just taking off and taking off bigtime. Suddenly, it was completely derailed, destroyed. He had to reinvent himself and the trajectory of his career from that point forward was complex. There was no stopping him but he would have broken way bigger than he did if he hadn't married that chickadee.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I think if you check deeper you would see that it got him into deep trouble in America. He himself was perplexed when that happened, apparently where and how he grew up it didn't seem that strange. I believe the girl was his cousin, I don't know if 2nd cousin or whatever. However, it happened at the time that his career was just taking off and taking off bigtime. Suddenly, it was completely derailed, destroyed. He had to reinvent himself and the trajectory of his career from that point forward was complex. There was no stopping him but he would have broken way bigger than he did if he hadn't married that chickadee.

Yeah, I know the scandal _then_ followed him back to America, but just seems odd that it didn't create a problem before he came to the UK. I mean, that's literally all I knew about him till reading his orbituaries, that story of him coming here and a career-destroying scandal blowing up. As I say, from those orbituaries I gather that he also had real talent.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, I know the scandal _then_ followed him back to America, but just seems odd that it didn't create a problem before he came to the UK. I mean, that's literally all I knew about him till reading his orbituaries, that story of him coming here and a career-destroying scandal blowing up. As I say, from those orbituaries I gather that he also had real talent.
Dude, it ain't the obits, listen to his records. He blew minds in the late 1950's, IMO he was more sensational than Elvis, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Jimi Hendrix was unknown by the general public until he went to the UK and recruited a couple of Limeys and formed TJHE.