RIP Gamers, not even the 1080 Ti will save you now.

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just got an email from Diamond about 580 8gb cards in stock. Take a look and they're still trying to sell them for $500. Guess they trying to get any bites before full bubble implosion.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Just got an email from Diamond about 580 8gb cards in stock. Take a look and they're still trying to sell them for $500. Guess they trying to get any bites before full bubble implosion.

Yeah, seems a little steep if the bubble is really about to pop. That being said, ETH is definitely back up a bit today over yesterday. Obviously, I don't know what that means long term, but I image just the volatility of its value makes it an overly risky proposition for some at current gpu pricing.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, seems a little steep if the bubble is really about to pop. That being said, ETH is definitely back up a bit today over yesterday. Obviously, I don't know what that means long term, but I image just the volatility of its value makes it an overly risky proposition for some at current gpu pricing.

I doubt we are going to see the bubble pop yet. This selloff will trigger a buy soon and the prices will start to climb again. This is an expected January dip, maybe a little more extreme then expected but as of now people are still saying buy. It is going to take a few more cycles of this to scare speculation investors away for good, and even then it is not likely to scare miners away unless it stays low for awhile.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
I doubt we are going to see the bubble pop yet. This selloff will trigger a buy soon and the prices will start to climb again. This is an expected January dip, maybe a little more extreme then expected but as of now people are still saying buy. It is going to take a few more cycles of this to scare speculation investors away for good, and even then it is not likely to scare miners away unless it stays low for awhile.

Really it has to reach saturation point. While new suckers are joining in, this is going to continue, it is only going to be once everyone is in, that is getting in, that bubble will pop.

Right now people are still hearing how Bob down the street made enough to buy a new truck. They would like a new truck, so in goes little Joey's college fund...

The greed and stupidity reserve has not been exhausted yet.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
NE seems to have come down in price a lot. MSI 570 4G is 310.00 today and 1060 6G is 310.00 too.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
NE seems to have come down in price a lot. MSI 570 4G is 310.00 today and 1060 6G is 310.00 too.

Notice how none of the 'reasonably' priced cards are in stock. Does not hurt them to price cards you can't order at reasonable prices. I am willing to bet that as soon as those cards come into stock they will be priced at a higher premium.

NomanA

May 15, 2014

Ethereum and BTC both are up today as well - about 7%. Ethereum is back at $800 level, while it hit $570 just couple of days ago. It's still down 40% from the highs in early January.

Jan 10, 2018
Can confirm. They've set two bull traps so far.
7,500 - 8,500 is the final one before they pull it.
If equity markets roll over amidst the carnage, there will be even more fireworks.

Most of the yapping mouths centered on coin are under water and are HODL. A number of people added heavily when it dropped from 20k to 12k. They are now down an additional 33%.

Coin clown fees have also crashed :
https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/bitcoin-transactionfees.html
Down from a peak of $50 to $5.
All of this along w/ fresh new cards hitting the market in march.

A perfect storm that couldn't of happened to a better group of people hell bent on squandering energy and limited compute resources.

The Chain has been broken.
landscape-1501482231-daenerys-episode-4-trailer-grab.jpg

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/threadripper-builders-thread.2512631/page-23#post-39047207
Lets see what hold the future. It would be better if they comeup with new line of cards solely designed for mining purpose, at least new gamers who want to build their pc at least can think of buying a good GPU.

Jan 10, 2018
This is actually vaguely intriguing in a way - ignore the possibility of a mining crash as we know what happens then.

Volta (or whatever they call it) will be coming in a few months and will seemingly (see Titan V), be a big chunk ahead of the current state of the art. That could theoretically produce a big chunk of spare second hand Pascal cards. Don't think the mining market will react like that though - I'd guess that the economics would dictate holding on to the cards as long as they're functional.
True that.

zuz

Jan 7, 2013
AARRGHH. I own BTC and even I hope it dies. Watching it slowly fumble its way into becoming the I'm-a-decentralised-libertarian's-wet-secp256k1-enema-dream-whoop-dee-doo! neckbeard twin of the contemporary banking system (with the latter's former scams, heists, and foibles along the way) is about as entertaining as gaming on a -redacted- console.

Profanity is not allowed in the tech forums.

Daveybrat
AT Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: