RIP Enemy Territory: Quake Wars?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
It seems to me and a few of my clan members, that in the last few days, the master authentication server for ETQW was shut down. At first we thought it was an error made by one of our server admins, but it turns out owners and admins of other clans were having issues with new servers being unable to authenticate. We are not just talking about ranked GSPs here, but ANY new server being hosted as an internet user end dedi.

This in effect means that it is impossible to play on these servers, you cant connect. I sincerely hope that this is just a mistake by activision or id/splash damage where they accidentally shut it off or our having tech issues. If this is a deliberate move, shame on them, for the community will not stand for it. Myself, my clan members, and others of the QW community should and will pressure activision to fix the issue and provide better support for our beloved game. I urge all of you to do the same.

ETQW is a great game, perhaps one of the best team based tactical shooters I have ever played, and I have enjoyed it for over 2600 hours since its release in 2007. This has not been the first time activision has stiffed the ETQW community, not to mention others as well. I hope they can fix their past mistakes and continue to at least make a marginal effort to support our beloved game.

I hope that all of you can help us if we need it, as I do not intend to let ETQW die out this way.

GL, GB, may the force be with you.

Last edited:

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
I don't know much about online gaming much less Quake Wars in particular, but I do know id studios has only been keeping Quake Live going out of a sense of dedication to the fans. Its not a money maker.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Dark wolf true that, though I would love to see QW go free to play.

And I am not talking about Quake live, which is basically a Q3 clone. I barely played it myself. Its ok, but not exquisite like QW or W:ET or BF3. Though I would say QW is my favorite of them all.

gonvik

Mar 11, 2005
Ugh, that sucks.. I haven't played in a while, but I was just thinking about this game the other day and wanted to get back in to it.

Did Activision acknowledge this on any website yet?

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Not that I know of. It took them a while to acknowledge when they took the stats pages down as well. They publish so many games, QW seems to have gotten lost to them :C

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
That sucks. :( ETQW came out around the same time as TF2, but I preferred ETQW. Five years later, TF2 is still going *very* strong because Valve listened to the community. ETQW was completely ignored by Activision after it was released. There was so much potential for more content... <sigh>

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I doubt I played any game like I played Enemy Territory, other than maybe Quake. I played it from its beta test days til 3+ years after everyone had moved on to other games.

Its so far back, that I was gaming on an AMD 3000+ single core rig, and after I eventually upgraded to a dual core AMD chip, the game ran with a noticeable hitch to it. I was then forced out of playing it due to that terrible hitch in everything.

ET:QW had my attention due to the Splash Damage name, and the fact that I wanted to support them after they had to give ET away for free. But I played the beta and was less than impressed, for whatever reason. Mainly, I still preferred WWII shooters to what ET:QW was, but to each their own.

I still think ET was my gaming nadir. I was one hell of a good Engineer, and either armed or defused enough dyno to last a lifetime.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
W:ET was fantastic stuff. The levels with the tank or the rail cart felt really dynamic the time.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I thought this had been dead for a long time also, the game had potential but ultimately revealed itself to be a tremendously flawed game.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
tremendously flawed game.

Has splash damage made a game that was not "tremendously flawed"?

Who is the owner of ETQW? Is it id, EA, bethesda? Splash damage developed the game for id, is that right? And then EA marketed ETQW.

When Bethesda bought id, did Bethesda acquire the ownership of ETQW?

Last edited:

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Has splash damage made a game that was not "tremendously flawed"?

Who is the owner of ETQW? Is it id, EA, bethesda? Splash damage developed the game for id, is that right? And then EA marketed ETQW.

When Bethesda bought id, did Bethesda acquire the ownership of ETQW?

No, they haven't. Splash Damage doesn't have a lot under their belt, but all of it is pretty flawed.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I can't believe people still play that game. Amazing!

I had good times for about 4 years playing the game, but moved on for good and never looked back.

Anyway, still sorry to hear the news.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
No, they haven't. Splash Damage doesn't have a lot under their belt, but all of it is pretty flawed.

Which part of it do you think is flawed? Besides the lack of patching and support after release to fix technical issues...

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Was a great game. I wanted to play it throughout the years but could hardly find servers with players. Preferred it over TF2, even moreso now that TF2 is hatfilled trash.

Jabberrwocky

Feb 18, 2012
www.cutrategamer.com
My wife and I loved QW, and we logged countless hours on it. Unfortunately, it got hard to find enough people to play with. Sorry to hear that the last nail is in the coffin.

@Shmee I agree that this would be a great foundation on which to build an F2P game. I wonder how much more we will see come out of Splash Damage since it would appear (to me) that neither QW or Brink have sold very well.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
so far no fix is up. one of my clan buddies says he called activision support and said that they told him they were shutting the servers off. Still not sure about an official announcement.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
so far no fix is up. one of my clan buddies says he called activision support and said that they told him they were shutting the servers off. Still not sure about an official announcement.

Honestly, its time to move on.

I have....others should as well?

You agree?

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
I played that game with a few of my clanmembers. It was too damn hard to rank up from what I remember:O

wrbt

Oct 9, 2009
I think it was a very underrated game, and maybe the reason it didn't catch on was it was a bit harder to pick up and actually feel like you were useful or know what to do.

New people would come in and just be confused about what to do, so would end up fighting each other for control of the "fun" vehicles to fly around in until shot down. TF2 is a great game too with lots of nuances but definitely easier for someone to turn it on and feel comfortable as a contributor relatively quickly.

Jabberrwocky

Feb 18, 2012
www.cutrategamer.com
I think it was a very underrated game, and maybe the reason it didn't catch on was it was a bit harder to pick up and actually feel like you were useful or know what to do.

New people would come in and just be confused about what to do, so would end up fighting each other for control of the "fun" vehicles to fly around in until shot down. TF2 is a great game too with lots of nuances but definitely easier for someone to turn it on and feel comfortable as a contributor relatively quickly.

QW has a steep learning curve. You have to be committed to learning how to play it, but the commitment pays off. That learning curve was probably part of the reason why it did not do as well as it should have.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is it part of the Wolf Master server? The main twitter page of Splash Damage said they were working on it as of a month back i think