Riots without responsibility - paying the price for the entitlement culture

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
LOL @ people claiming these riots are about "entitlement mentality" in this thread, and in another, claiming they are "riots" for no political cause at all. It can't be both.

Incidentally, we in the US have more "entitlement mentality" than exists anywhere else in the first world, where they have much wider and deeper social safety nets. There's a reason for it, and it clearly isn't the existence of any of these government programs.

Bingo! You just punctured the entire pose of the "concerned" right-wing OP, always looking for another excuse to push his agenda.

Btw, I do agree that our entitlement mentality is a problem, but not, as the OP would have us think, that it's entirely or even principally a liberal one.

Those with the biggest entitlement mentality in this country are the super rich -- bankers, wall street traders, and the CEO's and the boards who award them ever more obscene compensation whether they succeed or not.

The entitlement mentality can be seen who have benefitted most from the United States of America yet don't want to pay for her, who pretend their successes exist in some sort of Ayn Rand wet dream vacuum.

It can be seen in the Red State slobberers at the federal teat who nonetheless want to demonize the rest of America that keeps their sorry, backward asses afloat.

There's a the very worst of our entitlement mentality for you.

sarsipias1234

Oct 12, 2004
In the UK healthcare is free, I'm not talking about the Emergency Room at all. (which in the UK we call casualty)

I was referring to the U.S..

The youth in England may have proper health care but what about the rest of their needs?

These youth still do not have any hope of future prosperity.

We should be arresting those people in power that have done this to our youth.

Previous generations were nothing more than welfare receipients in which our youth gets the ultimate bill.

Last edited:

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
I was referring to the U.S..

The youth in England may have proper health care but what about the rest of their needs?

This thread is about the riots in the UK... Which riots were you talking about?

sarsipias1234

Oct 12, 2004
Bingo! You just punctured the entire pose of the "concerned" right-wing OP, always looking for another excuse to push his agenda.

Btw, I do agree that our entitlement mentality is a problem, but not, as the OP would have us think, that it's entirely or even principally a liberal one.

Those with the biggest entitlement mentality in this country are the super rich -- bankers, wall street traders, and the CEO's and the boards who award them ever more obscene compensation whether they succeed or not.

The entitlement mentality can be seen who have benefitted most from the United States of America yet don't want to pay for her, who pretend their successes exist in some sort of Ayn Rand wet dream vacuum.

It can be seen in the Red State slobberers at the federal teat who nonetheless want to demonize the rest of America that keeps their sorry, backward asses afloat.

Great post.

Just look at Congress and how they behaved when their entitlements were called into question.

We are governed by a legistlature that is corrupt beyond most people's ability to accept or comprehend.

Last edited:

sarsipias1234

Oct 12, 2004
This thread is about the riots in the UK... Which riots were you talking about?

'Now granted this is about the UK riots but it also applies well to the whole flash mob issue we have here to an extent. '

Even the title of the thread gives no indication that this thread is excusively about UK riots.

I read very carefully what is posted before I respond.

I have always had high reading comprehension skills.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Uh, entitlement mentality is not the same as entitlements in a political or gov't sense. However one can not say it "isn't the existence of any of these government programs" While there are some level differences the fact that we have them means they can't be dismissed as a potential cause, but it wasn't my position in the first place.

So while as usual perk and other libs come running in to blabber about redstates - they totally miss the point. This isn't a new thing, it's just that it's reaching levels that are unhealthy.

sarsipias1234

Oct 12, 2004
Riots without responsibility
We've failed to teach our kids that an entitlement culture is wrong. Now we are paying the price

Now granted this is about the UK riots but it also applies well to the whole flash mob issue we have here to an extent.
Can the liberal entitlement mentality really be to blame? I don't fully think so but it certainly plays a big part.
Solutions? I'm always an advocate for more personal responsibility and it seems like things have gotten so out of control that parenting responsibilities have increasingly been shifted to the gov't. I say we stop inviting the gov't into our houses to raise our kids. It'll take a while but it certainly needs to happen to have any long term hope of correcting this issue. Immediate solutions though is not having MORE gov't - but just utilizing the gov't we already have to actually enforce the law so it discourages future lawless behavior.

What about more personal responsibility of the government in their actions of wrongdoing?

You fail to mention the massive debt our governments have legistlated into existance and how this affects the poor and their actions.

You are right in that government should not be telling parents how to raise children as the government is inept and corrupt.

You cannot say that a child is corrupt without saying the parent is corrupt.

Just as you cannot say a society is corrupt without saying the government is corrupt.

No such thing as a bad child, only bad parents.

I take these riots to mean we have failed our youth in raising them properly by giving them a good example in our behavior.

The older generations have behaved in horrible and despicable ways.

Why would our youth act any different?

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Very Awesome. Clueless Cad is now blaming people who are victims of the economy and is using the new right wing buzzword "entitlement". Your masters cut their jobs and they are now on welfare/food stamps/unemployment because we have no jobs and now you are spitting on them when they are down. Now Clueless Cad wants to race bait and blame black people for having no jobs and taking food stamps. He conceals it by using "entitlement".

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

To be fair, entitlement mentality afflicts our middle class and our poor, as well. Basically everyone with access to Madison avenue driven marketing. What Jnnn often refers to as the "ownership society." The notion that the "American dream" is to have everything we want, or to put it another way, that of blurring the distinction between needs and wants. It explains why we spend ourselves into debt during good economic times, and when things go bad, many of us are out on the streets because our safety nets are limited. Yet in the rest of the first world, their safety nets are much more robust yet they save their money during the good times anyway. "Austerity" is built in to these cultures in spite of their social safety nets. It's ironic because we need the safety nets more than they do. We don't even save for our retirement and you get people here arguing that we should be able to "opt out" of SS.

Put simply, the conservative notion that entitlement mentality is caused by government safety nets is bassackwards. It's the entitlement mentality that necessitates the safety nets to begin with. Our mixed economy is often described as "welfare-capitalism," yet it isn't the welfare side that is creating our sense of entitlement. It is, rather, the capitalists - those who want to take the safety nets away. The capitalist wants to instill the sense of entitlement so that they can sell more products to the point of creating huge private debt, then when the government wants to bail people out, these same capitalists say we shouldn't reward "bad behavior." It's quite a successful con, isn't it?

- wolf

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Put simply, the conservative notion that entitlement mentality is caused by government safety nets is bassackwards. It's the entitlement mentality that necessitates the safety nets to begin with.

Entitlement mentality caused safety nets. Safety nets reinforce entitlement mentality. That causes more safety nets. That instills more entitlement mentality.

OH MY GOD CONSERVATIVES ARE EVIL!!!!!!!

Really?

It's a fucked up system we have that needs to be broken. The only thing you can do is break the safety nets, both welfare AND corporate, and ride out the storm. Things will be better on the other end.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

Life ain't fair and never will be.

Doesn't give them the right to burn down someone else's building. There is no excuse for that. And so long as we coddle them, tell them it isn't their fault, that we are the ones who need to bend to their needs, the vicious cycle will continue, and will get more ugly.

sarsipias1234

Oct 12, 2004
Life ain't fair and never will be.

Doesn't give them the right to burn down someone else's building. There is no excuse for that. And so long as we coddle them, tell them it isn't their fault, that we are the ones who need to bend to their needs, the vicious cycle will continue, and will get more ugly.

Life is not fair because humans make life unfair.

Our previous generations have dumped a huge debt on our children.

They made this life unfair for the new generation.

This is the cycle of abuse and if you do not recognize this as abuse you have been abused.

Nature is inherently balanced and fair. Only humans corrupt the fairness of life.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
I'm sure that was uppermost in the minds of the thugs who robbed the backpack of that beaten dude.

What else would you expect from a system whose public schools blindly throw together kids from 11 to adults aged 19, while the elite send its child in costly private schools where age separation is the norm ?..

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
What else would you expect from a system whose public schools blindly throw together kids from 11 to adults aged 19, while the elite send its child in costly private schools where age separation is the norm ?..

I expect them not to beat and rob someone...

Too much to ask?

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010

Sorry what? You think that in UK private schools kids from 11 to 18 don't mingle?

Obviously the lessons are separate at schools (private and public) the rest of it everyone is in together.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Entitlement mentality caused safety nets. Safety nets reinforce entitlement mentality. That causes more safety nets. That instills more entitlement mentality.

OH MY GOD CONSERVATIVES ARE EVIL!!!!!!!

Really?

It's a fucked up system we have that needs to be broken. The only thing you can do is break the safety nets, both welfare AND corporate, and ride out the storm. Things will be better on the other end.

Wrong. The safety nets didn't cause the entitlement mentality to begin with. They have bigger safety nets in Europe but no entitlement mentality. Accordingly, getting rid of the safety nets will not get rid of the entitlement mentality.

sarsipias1234

Oct 12, 2004
Wrong. The safety nets didn't cause the entitlement mentality to begin with. They have bigger safety nets in Europe but no entitlement mentality. Accordingly, getting rid of the safety nets will not get rid of the entitlement mentality.

Entitlements are strictly an American phenomenon.

The worst offenders of self entitlement is Congress and our leaders.

Congress acted like spoiled children when their entitlement to special interest money was threatened during the latest 'budget crisis'

Everyone complains that the poor feel entitlement but they only feel entitled because our leaders and Congress feel entitled to be rich from special interest money.

The rest of the country just follows the lead of our leaders.

Corruption always starts at the top and trickles down.

That is the only part of the trickle down theory that actually works.

Should be called 'TRICKLE DOWN CORRUPTION'