Rio Carbon + extended warranty a good MP3 player option?

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
I am looking for an MP3 player to use at work and at other times aroudn the house or wherever. There are tons of choices obviously. I don't have much music, and could probablly live with a 1GB flash drive, but having the extra storage, especially since it works as a UMS device is great. Although I doubt I need the space in those big old 30+GB machines.

The Rio Carbon looks great, it seems to get great reviews, with the exception of many user reviews. I tend to bellieve user reviews over regular reviewers. But from what I have heard, only the people that have problems or think the device is the greatest thing ever, are the ones that post reviews. I know the carbon seems to take a lot of hits due to it breaking or whatever. And that would suck, but if i back it up with an extended warranty, would it be a good option. Or do I need to shoot for an Ipod mini or something else entirely?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
It's an excellent option compared against the iPod Mini! I'm very happy with my Rio Carbon 5GB. The biggest complaint I have is that there's no way to create/amend playlists on the fly. I think that caveat is well offset by its USB driver-less transfer capabilities which let you use the Carbon as a portable HDD and even charge off of the connection.

I wrote a 'review' of the Carbon versus the Mini in this thread:

Rio Carbon > iPod Mini?

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
mini

Keep smokin that mary jane.

For alot cheaper then the iPod Mini it's an excellent option.

My brother has the mini and I have the Carbon.. and I can't decide which one is better... but one thing I do know is that I've got 1gb of more space and I saved 70 bucks!

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: yllus
It's an excellent option compared against the iPod Mini! I'm very happy with my Rio Carbon 5GB. The biggest complaint I have is that there's no way to create/amend playlists on the fly. I think that caveat is well offset by its USB driver-less transfer capabilities which let you use the Carbon as a portable HDD and even charge off of the connection.

I wrote a 'review' of the Carbon versus the Mini in this thread:

Rio Carbon > iPod Mini?

Yeah i had already seen your review, not bad.

I am not worried about ammending/creating playlists on the fly. I will be using this at work, so I won't have time to be able to do that even if I wanted to, which i doubt I would have a need to.

blazert40, why the creative, and 0roo0roo, why the mini. Not disagreeing with you. I just hate it when people give an option without a reason for it.

HaxorNubcake

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
I have a carbon it's a great player....a slight thread hijack: does anyone with a carbon ever have problems with like delays when seeking a song?

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Also, I managed to accumulate about 20-25 songs on itunes, from the free pepsi giveaway. I don't suppose these are playable without some sort of modification(to the song, not the player) on the Rio, right?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: RyanSengara
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
mini

Keep smokin that mary jane.

For alot cheaper then the iPod Mini it's an excellent option.

My brother has the mini and I have the Carbon.. and I can't decide which one is better... but one thing I do know is that I've got 1gb of more space and I saved 70 bucks!

its only 33 dollars cheaper on amazon. he's paying for the extra warrantee because he knows 90 days is shady. that nulifies the price difference a bit.

mini interface is hard to beat. mini is slightly smaller. and mini g2's sound quality is decent..and so is battery life.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: HaxorNubcake
I have a carbon it's a great player....a slight thread hijack: does anyone with a carbon ever have problems with like delays when seeking a song?

I do sometimes..

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The Carbon can function as an external drive. The mini can't. Carbon is smaller, holds more music and sounds better IMHO.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Ah, I went with the Ipod mini after all. I will try it and if I don't like it, I can return it in 30 days. The rio seemed wider then i expected, and the Ipod just seemed nicer, and more well put together. Plus like 0roo0roo said, since I purchased at best buy, I could either pay 169.99(149.99 after a 20 rebate, which I hear has a possibility of never showing up)plus 29.99 for the extended warranty, for a final cost of about 180.00. Or I could spend the extra 20 for the Ipod. Sure the Ipod has 1 GB less storage, but like I said. I would probablly be okay with 1GB flash players with the amount of music I have.

Just in the store, I liked the mini better in a few ways, time will tell if I continue to like it. So now what did I lose in getting the mini instead of the rio? I know I am down 1GB of storage, how does the mini function as a mass storage device, if at all? Anything else?

Also my prices are actual prices, I actually had a 10% off coupon I got from another site, although I am not even 100% sure how legit it was since, shortly after it was posted the thread was locked. But anyways, I gave it to the guy and he said "this won't work on the Ipods". Even though it didn't state that anywhere on the coupon. I said fine use it on the neoprene case I got with it. He used the coupon and totaled me out, and at the time I didn't think nothing of the price he said. Although he seemed to notice soemthign since he dug the coupon back out of the trash and starte dlooking at it. I left got out to my car, and started to think, man that seemed cheap. My total was 24x.xx. I bought a 199.99 ipod, a 29.99 cas, and a 15 dollar Itunes card(not actually for me, I got it for my mom, she refuses to use her credit cards online, but likes itunes), so I expected around 260.00 total price. I got to looking at my receipt and sure enough the coupon took the 10% off the Ipod, so really I got it for 179.99, so that makes it even better.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Heck , for about the same price you could have gotten Irivere H10 with more storage, more feature, plus a color screen. But to each his own I suppose.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
The H10 was about 40 bucks more, the extra storage is not my top priority as I previously stated. The FM radio would have been a bonus, but not a nessecity. The JPEG viewing again is kind aneat, but not somethign I would use very often if at all after the initial, thats neat factor.

And the 12 hour battery life is a bit less then the other 2,

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: coolred
The H10 was about 40 bucks more, the extra storage is not my top priority as I previously stated. The FM radio would have been a bonus, but not a nessecity. The JPEG viewing again is kind aneat, but not somethign I would use very often if at all after the initial, thats neat factor.

the mini has 18hrs now

Ah, I went with the Ipod mini after all. I will try it and if I don't like it, I can return it in 30 days.

enjoy:) thats all that matters

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
So I can use it has a mass storage device, but it requires software to be loaded on each computer first. Thats kinda gay, but I am not sure how often it will be used as a MS device any way.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

They're about $180.00 on eBay. Regardless, Apple makes a nice product, albeit overhyped, you'll enjoy it.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
I will look into that stuff, so does that ephpod software basically allow drag and drop to the Ipod. I assume it needs to be loaded onto the computer before it will allow the Ipod to connect to the computer?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Get the Rio Karma. I have one and I can attest it's a GREAT player. just make sure you have an extended warranty. The HDD issues have been worked out but the sreoll whell is still crap. I would use my warranty but being stupid me, i opened up to try to fix it myself. just make sure you have and use a warranty and it'll be the best player you've ever used.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
From what I understand the karmas are not so easy to come by any more.

As for the mini, do I need to install the software from the CD? I know the manual says too, but I already have itunes installed. I plugged the mini into a usb port, it recognized it and it shows up as a removeable disk drive in my computer, but when I double click on it, it says its not formatted and asks if i want to format it. I don't want to format it and mess it up or anything. But if I don't have to, then i don't want to have to install any extra software either.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
From what I understand the karmas are not so easy to come by any more.

As for the mini, do I need to install the software from the CD? I know the manual says too, but I already have itunes installed. I plugged the mini into a usb port, it recognized it and it shows up as a removeable disk drive in my computer, but when I double click on it, it says its not formatted and asks if i want to format it. I don't want to format it and mess it up or anything. But if I don't have to, then i don't want to have to install any extra software either.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail....wbfroogle&adcampaign=email,ewbfroogle($190)
http://store.salestores.com/rioka20mp3pl.html($199)

btw, i got mine for $177 shipped from buy.com, but it's out of stock

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Ah crap, its telling me my USB ports are 1.1, I have an Asus PCDL, which says it has 2.0 USB ports, not sure what the deal is.