Feb 4, 2009
Or HOLY CRAP! Why didn’t anyone say how good this game is....sarcasm but not really, I know people like it but all I can say is WOW way better than I thought.

On my third colony and it is going well.

@zinfamous get this game

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes I know. I just never got around to it.

....games like this, including Kenshi which I do love and even made a thread about it....I've found that I have gained some satisfaction out of watching Let's Plays, like Tobel's stuff. That dude cracks me up, and as lame as I feel the whole genre is...I get it. The characters make it. Plus, it removes the stress of watching all your "friends" die at your own terrible decisions.

It's more entertaining when other people do it.

But yeah, I will pick it up at some point.

Feb 4, 2009
Yes I know. I just never got around to it.

....games like this, including Kenshi which I do love and even made a thread about it....I've found that I have gained some satisfaction out of watching Let's Plays, like Tobel's stuff. That dude cracks me up, and as lame as I feel the whole genre is...I get it. The characters make it. Plus, it removes the stress of watching all your "friends" die at your own terrible decisions.

It's more entertaining when other people do it.

But yeah, I will pick it up at some point.

yeah, speaking of friends.....
I played a bit this morning and two of my pawns fell in love and I was like oh that’s so sweet. They’re both tough people and she shot down his advances numerous times. Persistence paid off or maybe it was that alien field that encompassed the land making all females feel more happy or maybe it was the chat she had with her fellow colony friend who is extremely beautiful and kind, what sort of advice did she get when speaking about him but who cares they fell in love.
Did a bunch of real word stuff, came home rushed the dog out, cleaned up and smiled when it rained because that took cutting the lawn off the list. Loaded up rimworld, played a bit (actually a lot) and they go engaged! So happy they found each other. I said oh shi... they need a place to get married. Fortunately close by is a nice field and what I imagine is a small hill that has a great view of the river. I planted some roses and another flower, cut down the crappy trees and left the good trees, made a cobblestone path to it, designated a party area close by but suddenly became stressed when I realized I didn’t make enough marble tile for the marriage area. While that doesn’t prevent the marriage I couldn’t let them not have a nice place. Sent out a recently recruited wild man to mine some marble, fortunately his crafting skill was pretty good so he should be able to be more successful making the marble stones but he’s not the best builder and unfortunately my best builder is the bride. She can’t be the one building the tiles it’s supposed to be a surprise. Fortunately my backup builder has become pretty good, she handled laying the bricks with ease.
Then the in game rain came and more rain and more rain.....sheeeet
I can’t have them Get married in the rain, rushed out wild man and my 3rd pawn to get more wood and build a gazebo. They weren’t happy working in the rain with the high heat but they got it done. I’m finally ready for the marriage to happen and fortunately the rain stops, unfortunately severe lightning storms started a fire near the gazebo. Wild Man is putting it out when I logged out. Going to be anxious until I can play again. Will the wedding gazebo be burned down, will it be okay, will the flowers burn, will the trees ge burned?

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Just wait into you experiment with mods .. adds like 1000 new dimensions to the already amazing game.

Feb 4, 2009
Started raining in game again that put out the fires, not much was burned which is good news.
Armed Pirates kept attacking the base, first one at a time, then two. Pirates are armed well.
I had a long battle near the gazebo, scientist I rescued from the cannibal tribe was wounded badly, he is now on bed rest but his Alzheimer’s kicked in and he started wandering at night. Now he has a bad infection. Hopefully he survives. He’s only good for crafting & research but he is needed.
Now I need to clean the blood up from the gazebo and wedding spot.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Why didn’t anyone say how good this game is

because we were too busy playing it to write a review or recommend it.
lol..

No but seriously... we have been recommending it.
We also said the game is drastically better with Mods.

Reactions: Stg-Flame
Feb 4, 2009
Alaska, my senile scientist died from an infection. My pawns aren’t too sad because he didn’t interact much and he was only around a short time after being saved from the cannibals. He has been buried a short distance away, flowers have been planted.
Need to get serious about research.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
How long is each game? Is there a story line or 100% sandbox? I guess I'm wondering if there is an end game.

Feb 4, 2009
How long is each game? Is there a story line or 100% sandbox? I guess I'm wondering if there is an end game.

Early on I got a quest to fix a starships AI. Warned me that it would be a difficult task and require multiple colonists. I assume this is the endgame quest.
Basically think of it as the sims on steroids or dwarf fortress with a functional UI is better comparison.
Really the idea is to fail, the game will grind you down overtime.
You don’t directly control your people, you give them work priorities and they go about their business. Frequently they do something you’d prefer them not to do.
There are ways to refocus them on a different task but those tend to be short term. Also expect to lose and lose frequently.
You have to like randomness and not be afraid to use your imagination, plus you need to be able to laugh a ton dumb stuff.
If above doesn’t sound like fun you will hate the game.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've had some colonies last 30 hours and some last 30 minutes (not exaggerating). The goal for every game you start is to build a starship to leave the planet. That being said, there are mods that change the win condition to other things but for the base game it's just survive and leave which is far easier said than done. There's different scenarios to choose from for how you start out and once you've chosen your starting scenario you choose your storyteller. The storyteller is basically the difficulty but that can be changed at any time. There's also the choice for only saving upon quitting or save/load anytime. After that you then decide where on the planet you want to crash land or start. Different areas have different challenges so you can really tailor it to be completely different every time (plus the world uses seeds to randomize the world gen). Lastly, you'll pick your pawns that you're starting with and all of their attributes are random. You can reroll them to get a decent starting party or just roll with what the game gives you and see what happens.

It's a very in-depth game that's also very difficult to put down once you get the hang of it. I would highly recommend anyone get this game.

Feb 4, 2009
Slightly off topic

How the hell do you make sterile tiles?
Does it need to be researched or do you put down a smooth stone or metal tile then sterilize that tile?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Slightly off topic

Does it need to be researched or do you put down a smooth stone or metal tile then sterilize that tile?

they are researched under "medicine" or something related to that area (I've only really seen it played modded, though, so probably different) and I believe require a lot of silver, so can be very expensive when you first start to build them. (Yes, I know I haven't played, but like I said, I've watched Tobel's playthroughs, lol).

Seems like you just want to put them in your infirmary space, so don't go overboard thinking it's a good idea for your fridge room or butcher space or whatever.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Slightly off topic

Sterile tiles cost silver, so be aware of that. Hospitals, kitchens, and prisoner rooms usually benefit the most from sterile tiles as pawns (unmodded) actually have priority when they are cleaning. Carpets and smoothed stone are generally best for bedrooms and prisons (if you don't want to waste the silver on prisoners).

Edit: I made this mistake when I first played but don't set your pawn's work priorities to "auto". It only takes a few minutes to go in and tailor each pawn and it completely changes how the game plays out.

Feb 4, 2009
Sterile tiles cost silver, so be aware of that. Hospitals, kitchens, and prisoner rooms usually benefit the most from sterile tiles as pawns (unmodded) actually have priority when they are cleaning. Carpets and smoothed stone are generally best for bedrooms and prisons (if you don't want to waste the silver on prisoners).

Edit: I made this mistake when I first played but don't set your pawn's work priorities to "auto". It only takes a few minutes to go in and tailor each pawn and it completely changes how the game plays out.

Hmm I have to look into the "auto" thing. I have cleaning set as priority 1 on all but they still keep a messy house

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Hmm I have to look into the "auto" thing. I have cleaning set as priority 1 on all but they still keep a messy house
It's set by default to auto. You have to uncheck that which it sounds like you already did. There's a few things I always keep at 1 but if you keep too much at 1, you'll never get your place clean. At first it's difficult to micro-manage everyone but after you get two or three recruits, you can designate one person to be the hauler/cleaner and once your home/town is clean, you can start them on another project. I tend to raise animals that can haul ASAP since it allows my pawns to never worry about hauling anything when I go mining or cutting down vast swaths of trees. The only issue I've found with animals is that you need to set a proper zone and basically restrict their movement from important places (bedrooms, kitchens, hospitals, freezer, etc.) which will drastically cut down on filth. Grazing animals are usually kept in a shelter I can dig out of a mountain and restrict their movement to everywhere but inside my town (unless I get raided, then I have a zone exact opposite of their normal zone which tells them to only go inside my walls). Also when zoning off animal areas, make sure you are not allowing them to walk over your traps and keep them well away from turrets since the turrets don't care who is in the line of fire.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Loved the game, only disappointment was the lack of difficulty really. Aside from my first colony, I haven't lost a game yet. My first colony was exceedingly unlucky because I next-next-next'd my way to the actual gameplay and didn't see that *all* of my starting colonists were pacifists. A turkey frenzied and killed them all, hiding in a half-finished bedroom.

If you love this and haven't ventured in yet, try Dwarf Fortress, it's phenomenal.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Loved the game, only disappointment was the lack of difficulty really.
I take it you never played with Randy Random as a storyteller. Tried him a few times and the last one I had a really great colony going, then had a pawn crash land on the other side of the map and just as I reached him with my two best pawns... nuclear fallout.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I take it you never played with Randy Random as a storyteller. Tried him a few times and the last one I had a really great colony going, then had a pawn crash land on the other side of the map and just as I reached him with my two best pawns... nuclear fallout.
'random' to me isn't difficult, it's just arbitrary events, some of which are game-ruiners. I'd prefer a difficulty that just amped up the everything, like +20% to everything enemies, -20% to my dudes, or whatever. Or more frequent raids from better equipped raiders... was a little silly to see a raiding party of like four dudes with knives and pistols attacking my base of 12 colonists and 25 timber wolves. I also wish the raids were just harder.. even a moderately equipped defensive force can take on double their number just through superior positioning and a dash of tactics.

Feb 4, 2009
Loved the game, only disappointment was the lack of difficulty really. Aside from my first colony, I haven't lost a game yet. My first colony was exceedingly unlucky because I next-next-next'd my way to the actual gameplay and didn't see that *all* of my starting colonists were pacifists. A turkey frenzied and killed them all, hiding in a half-finished bedroom.

If you love this and haven't ventured in yet, try Dwarf Fortress, it's phenomenal.

I’ve tried dwarf fortress a few times, I cannot get over the clunky commands. Why is it so hard to make a usable UI and have proper mouse support.

Feb 4, 2009
I’ve grown to 6 pawns and working on converting a prisoner. Nobody has any huge deficits but I have two pain in the ass pawns that won’t haul or care for anything. Otherwise those two are good.
Sadly 4 have gut worms and bedridden. One of the two left won’t care for people.

Edit: Wedding happened and I am glad I built a roof, rained during the service. They all had a great mood lifting party after.
Edit 2: I have a mostly complete hospital area. Sterile tile is 80% complete 6x6 room with some great art in it and good or better beds.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I’ve tried dwarf fortress a few times, I cannot get over the clunky commands. Why is it so hard to make a usable UI and have proper mouse support.
Takes getting used to. Most of the common stuff becomes muscle memory, or you make macros for it if you're really dedicated :p