Righties, state your position on the events of 1/6/21

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Transcript of Trump's Jan 6 speech:

He tells the crowd that on one hand to go to the Capitol peacefully, but then that they have to show strength. He refers to his people as 'warriors' and paints a picture that the opposition are not playing fairly so in order to stop this attack on America the crowd must do anything to stop this election from being stolen from them and that they will never concede.

It might be worth spending time arguing what the real intent of his language was if Trump didn't already have a record for this sort of thing:

article said:
On NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday, Trump was asked whether he would pay McGraw’s legal fees, as he once offered to do for supporters who rough up protesters.

“I’ve actually instructed my people to look into it, yes,” Trump responded.

In several television interviews Sunday, Trump denied condoning violence.

But at a rally with Sarah Palin last month in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Trump encouraged a few thousand supporters to beat up anyone who hurled a tomato at him, saying security had warned him that might happen.

“If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you?” Trump said, drawing cheers and laughter. “Seriously, OK? Just knock the hell — I promise you, I will pay for the legal fees. I promise. I promise. They won’t be so much, because the courts agree with us too — what’s going on in this country.”

All of this is aside of course from the fact that Trump has been egging his supporters on for months with blatant lies of election fraud.

Last edited:
Reactions: ivwshane

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Trump absolutely was responsible for the treasonous attack on the capitol, he essentially used the "Will no one rid me of this trouble priest?" rhetoric to incite the mob (the 'priest' in this case is mike pence and congress):

According to historical records, Henry made the infamous outburst on Christmas 1170 at his castle at Bures, Normandy, at the height of the Becket controversy. He had just been informed that Becket had excommunicated a number of bishops supportive of the king, including the Archbishop of York.[1] Edward Grim, who was present at Becket's murder and subsequently wrote the Life of St. Thomas, quotes Henry as saying:

What miserable drones and traitors have I nurtured and promoted in my household who let their lord be treated with such shameful contempt by a low-born cleric![2]

Purportedly upon hearing the king's words, four knights—Reginald FitzUrse, Hugh de Morville, William de Tracy and Richard le Breton—travelled from Normandy to Canterbury with the intention of forcing Becket to withdraw his excommunication, or, alternatively, taking him back to Normandy by force.[9] The day after their arrival, they confronted Becket in Canterbury Cathedral. When Becket resisted their attempts to seize him, they slashed at him with their swords, killing him.[10] Although nobody, even at the time, believed that Henry directly ordered that Becket be killed, his words had started a chain of events that was likely to have such a result.[11] Moreover, as Henry's harangue had been directed not at Becket, but at his own household, the four probably thought that a failure to act would be regarded as treachery, potentially punishable by death.[12]

Following the murder, Becket was venerated and Henry was vilified. There were demands that the king be excommunicated. Pope Alexander forbade Henry to hear mass until he had expiated his sin. In May 1172, Henry did public penance in Avranches Cathedral.[1]

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
This thread is four days old and only one forum righty denounced what occurred on 1/6/21. Oddly, I haven't seen them posting since the FBI has started arresting people. I can only come to one conclusion, those posters are indeed traitors.

Reactions: Meghan54

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
This thread is four days old and only one forum righty denounced what occurred on 1/6/21. Oddly, I haven't seen them posting since the FBI has started arresting people. I can only come to one conclusion, those posters are indeed traitors.

Since Im the only one who has clearly denounced it, I can only assume youre talking about me. Ive participated in the arrest thread, so not sure what else you're looking for me to say?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Since Im the only one who has clearly denounced it, I can only assume youre talking about me. Ive participated in the arrest thread, so not sure what else you're looking for me to say?

But I thought you wrote that you're not a Conservative.

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
I can't wait to see all the mental gymnastics to justify what happened at the Capitol.20210115_031419348_iOS.jpg

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004

I'm a conservative but don't frequent P&N much. To answer your original question, no I don't condone the actions of Trump supporters on Jan 6. I think it was despicable and totally against the values of our country. Even though I've overwhelmingly voted Republican over the years, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump in 2016 or in 2020. I agree with some of his policies but just can't stomach him as a person. His ilk shouldn't represent the U.S.

I've got family and friends who are fully onboard the Trump train and are trying hard to justify what happened at the Capitol. Most of them are actually really good people but they bought into the various conspiracy theories and are now drunk on the Kool-Aid.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I'm a conservative but don't frequent P&N much. To answer your original question, no I don't condone the actions of Trump supporters on Jan 6. I think it was despicable and totally against the values of our country. Even though I've overwhelmingly voted Republican over the years, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump in 2016 or in 2020. I agree with some of his policies but just can't stomach him as a person. His ilk shouldn't represent the U.S.

I've got family and friends who are fully onboard the Trump train and are trying hard to justify what happened at the Capitol. Most of them are actually really good people but they bought into the various conspiracy theories and are now drunk on the Kool-Aid.

It is scary how many people are drunk on that Kool-Aid.

Reactions: Elfear