Right-wing mainstream political cartoonist Ben Garrison comes out as a full on anti-vaxxer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I wonder what his religious affiliation is? Being right wing I'd assume Christian but I've been noticing that anti-vaxx, flat earthers, etc. tend to be atheist, agnostic, or not actively involved enough in their religion to be considered strong adherents.

It's almost like human beings HAVE to believe in something bigger than themselves, even the outlandish, and attempt to propagate it in order to feel important or valuable. Absent religion these conspiracy theories are logical replacements.

The anti-vax bullshit crosses many lines. Its hard to pigeon hole, but there seems to be a concerted effort by the right to reach out to them now as another angry group to be exploited.

Reactions: dank69

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Further mainstreaming of batshit by the right wing cult.

Right-wing mainstream political cartoonist Ben Garrison comes out as a full on anti-vaxxer complete with an outrageously science illiterate, conspiracy filled rant on his website.

View attachment 5973

https://grrrgraphics.com/settled-science/
They were guessing blood letting worked with 0 empirical evidence with not so occasional side effects, being deaths.. There' s indiputeable empirical evidence that vaccines work over 90% of the time with very few side effects. I wish there was a law about informational malfeasants.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Do they not teach logic and critical thinking in school anymore?

This is actually the official definition of a "liberal education." It is the classical and well, still current assumption of what it means to get such an education. "Small Liberal Arts college" = critical thinking in discourse, logic, problem solving.

Of course, when you can turn that word into an unrelated slur, for reasons, then every association with that word is suddenly forbidden. This is why you see conservatives running from critical thinking education to shit like Liberty University--the only safe haven for the pridefully brainless.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
In my opinion the drive for self understanding and the drive to understand human nature which is essentially the same thing runs into a problem that is unrecognized and it is that as badly as we may want to understand and think we want to understand ourselves and others there is a force that is even greater that works in the opposite direction, a force that acts below conscious awareness, a desire not only not to know, but to not know that we do not want to know or to know that, the result of which is self blindness. The fact is that the last thing on earth that we want to allow to happen is to know what we really feel.

We died psychically as children, a death so painful it means dying all over again if we were to open those wounds and feel them again and remember.

What this means is that everything that we fear has already happened and that all that we think we fear is just a projection. Our psychic deaths consisted of the fact that via being put down with words associated with the threat of withdrawal of love we were made to feel that at core we were worthless and that only by dying to our full potential could be fit into the mold of conformity we were offered for safety. Once the deal was made we could never again be real.

On ancient maps you will see the known world surrounded by dragons, the fear of the unknown onto which we project our inner horror. It is this inner haunting, this terror of what we really feel that we project onto corporations, vaccines, the other, the liberal, the conservative, the other in infinite variety.

We are doomed to wonder lost within our own darkness and fear because we do not remember what we have experienced because it is deeply repressed. You have been made to feel that you are sin and evil, the worst person in the world. We live in a deep state of hypnotic sleep.

And did you but suffer you would not suffer. This is what death and resurrection require. What we feel is a lie, one that requires the terror of knowing we believe to reject. That terror is the last thing we ever want to experience and why for the ego all roads are a dead end.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Hopefully Trump won't see this because, well, Trump
I beg to differ. If Strongman Trump wants to implore his right-wing authoritarian collaborators to let natural selection help out the non-right-wing authoritarian population, who am I to stop him?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I beg to differ. If Strongman Trump wants to implore his right-wing authoritarian collaborators to let natural selection help out the non-right-wing authoritarian population, who am I to stop him?
Seems you also need an education on how vaccines work if you believe this.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I disagree. He is the singularly most shared right-wing political cartoonist.
Scott Adams isn't always political, but he's way more mainstream and leans pretty far right, if I recall correctly.

I've never heard of the artist referenced in the OP and I don't like the art style at all -- not to mention the ridiculously dumb content.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Scott Adams isn't always political, but he's way more mainstream and leans pretty far right, if I recall correctly.

I've never heard of the artist referenced in the OP and I don't like the art style at all -- not to mention the ridiculously dumb content.

Ben Garrison has been a favorite of our right-wingers in the middle name thread.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

His cartoons have been posted numerous times in P&N.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The anti-vax bullshit crosses many lines. Its hard to pigeon hole, but there seems to be a concerted effort by the right to reach out to them now as another angry group to be exploited.

I said it already in some thread or other, but I think anti-vaccine attitudes fit quite well with the right. It's partly (not entirely) a matter of individual 'freedom of choice' vs concern for the collective good. It's called 'herd immunity' after all - the right probably doesn't like the idea of a herd.

I do think the main factor is discounting the benefits of vaccination, probably simply because people can't remember what it was like before vaccination was a thing. And there might be rare negative effects, the point is the risk is very low to non-existent and they are dwarfed by the known, substantial, benefits. But I think the balance between those things gets distorted by the hyper-individualism of some of the right.

I only know him from this forum. I find it very hard to think of him as 'mainstream', particularly given the anti-Semitic implications and resonances of the anti-Soros one posted here once (to me, as irrational as the implied argument is, this cartoon seems one of his less offensive ones). But who the hell knows what 'mainstream' means in the Trump era? Everything is now mainstream. It's a bit like when the distinction between the 'independent charts' and the 'mainstream charts' collapsed and 'alternative' and 'indie' became meaningless terms.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yeah, if you've been reading the P&N funnies thread around here, he's been all over the place. John Connor took off at some point, for reasons, but hardly a day could go by at the time without him posting a pile of Garrison nonsense--unironically, of course.

And if you ever visiting Connor's uh...forums, he had a thread dedicated to the dude. Granted, I wouldn't call Connor's 2 person + 2 Alts forums "mainstream." :D

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

For sure. It's easier to make highly irrational people more irrational than to start from scratch.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Scott Adams is political 100% of the time outside of creating Dilbert. Scott Adams in not a political cartoonist. He is a cartoonist who happens to be very interested in (and very bad at interpreting) politics. But his cartoons are effectively politics-free.

I honestly don't know of any right-wing political cartoonists other than Garrison. I'm sure there are plenty, but I don't know any names and can't think of any cartoons. You'd have to not really follow politics at all to not know who Garrison is. There is even an artist who redraws a bunch of Garrison's work to better reflect reality. Can't remember his name though.

Last edited: