Right-wing irrational rage

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It's hard not to notice the phenomenon of the rage common in right-wing politics.

Indeed Fox News has been described as the 'make old white men angry channel'.

The content of their message/propaganda, is filled with 'infuriating' things - liberals hate America, liberals are at war with religion, liberals hate freedom and capitalism, on and on.

Sometimes, 'symbols' happen that are focal points for them to rage against.

Jane Fonda comes to mind. Nevermind that her intent was moral, about feeling the killing and war machine driving Vietnam were wrong, about reminding people both sides were human beings instead of the dehumanized 'enemy'. Muhammed Ali went to prison saying 'the North Vietnamese had never hurt him' rather than go kill them, and this was in the same vein. So nevermind the morality of war issues. Nevermind that having her sit on an anti-aircraft gun was some flack's PR stunt asking her to sit there which she did without much though, nevermind that she later regretted it and apologized for that particular action while not for the trip to North Vietnam otherwise.

The right did and does just have rage and hate for her as some sort of superhuman demon. Nevermind the question about the blood of 2 million people on their hands.

This isn't rational rage - the sort that might be directed at a Hitler or a Stalin who are behind such massive suffering and killing for those actions.

It's just rage they themselves don't understand - 'don't say her name'.

You see the same thing with Michael Moore, with Julian Assange and Wikileaks - figures they could discuss 'the issues' with, but instead have an irrational rage.

I mention this leading up to an example of Ted Kennedy and Chappaquiddick.

What if a loved one of yours drove drunk and hurt no one? Is there any room for saying that was horribly wrong, but you don't now curse their name daily afterwards, wanting nothing to do with them? Is there any room for balancing and saying 'people make mistakes'? What if your loved one crashed and killed someone? Could you be filled with sorrow and anger and yet not disown them? Decades later?

At the least, Ted Kennedy had a driving accident, driving in the dark, with no lights but his car's, when a sharp turn led him to miss the turn and crash into a small river, upside down, and in shock he struggled to escape and wasn't functioning well, barely managing to get back to the people he knew. I remember a story of a man who crashed on a bridge near me, and after the accident was walking around - then walked off the bridge, because the shock of the accident left him that confused.

At the most to a reasonable person, Ted Kennedy might have been drunk as a cause of the accident; he might have had poor judgement assuming the young woman had drowned, and left the scene in a panic - a common reaction which is why there are so many 'hit and run' crimes, and he might have not saved her life when he could have had he got help as fast as he could have rather than returning to his companions where they spent hours before contacting authorities.

There is a level of dislike for his actions that is rational - assuming it was more than 'just an accident and he was in shock' - it was a tragedy and killed a young woman.

But the level of rage is not rational. It's as if Kennedy had killed a million children and eaten them. These people would normally have only a certain level of concern for the young woman, but it's far, far more not for her but for hating Kennedy. Do they show the same level of concern for young women in other situation? Say, Rachel Corrie, the young woman who was protesting the Israeli policy of bulldozing the homes of families of terrorists and tragically killed in similarly ambiguous degrees of fault - and even worse possibilities?

(At best, the bulldozer seemed less than concerned with the people warning it off but it was an accident, at worst it intentionally ran her over when she sat in front of it.)

How does Chappaquiddick compare to the Bushes? George W. Bush was convicted of drunk driving. How is that less bad than Kennedy's act? What if Kennedy had driven drunk and not killed anyone, and George W. Bush had killed someone? In terms of how bad their actions were, assuming Kennedy was drunk, they're the same as far as the accident. It's just a matter of luck that one drunk driver has an accident and another doesn't. By the time they're driving drunk, they're already committed the crime of people people at risk.

Rationally, their actions - assuming Kennedy was drunk - are similar. Laura Bush DID kill someone breaking traffice laws. You don't see anything close to the levels of rage.

For that matter, Bush's attorney Alberto Gonzales helped him cover up his conviction in the election - and for that sort of 'ask no moral questions' help, was later rewarded by being appointed Attorney General - after the previous AG had refused to sign off on secret approval for things like illegal warantless wiretapping when Gonzalez went to Ashcroft's hospital bed with the documents, because Bush knew Gonzales would not put the constitution and the law ahead of Bush's desires. But you don't see the rage for that.

A rational person could even consider some sympathetic issues that do not excuse but help understand if Kennedy were making bad choices - he'd just had his third and last brother killed a year before, the evening was spent with a couple people close to Robert Kennedy, the young woman had been his aide. Ted had almost been killed - had his back broken - not long before in a fatal small plane crash, just as he'd lost a sister in a plane crash. These might make people say 'he was wrong but I sympathize with some things.'

You don't see that. Just this enormous irrational rage like Ted Kennedy was the only drunk driver in history.

These same people would do far more to balance the issues, to forgive, with someone on 'their side', but Chappaquiddick was treated like heading the Nazis.

Kennedy served the country very well for decades. He was often described by both sides in the Senate as one of the best Senators who was key to passing a lot of the best bills.

This isn't about hating Kennedy even for passing legislation to improve education or feed the hungry or whatever cause - it was irrational rage.

I think it'd be good for people to recognize the irrational nature of this, and to try to somehow better understand why it happens and to be more rational about the issues.

We saw something similar in the people who were irrational about Bill Clinton - he had murdered ince Foster and many other people, running a criminal network that dealt drugs and he was determined to sell out the country to the Chinese at least. He and Hillary were the enemies of the country out to destroy it. There was a $50 million 'get Clinton' 'investigative fund' from one billionare alone, and an army of operatives out to find any way to destroy them. That's before Obama's birth certificate/Muslim/terrorist etc.

It's remarkable how this irrational rage can last for decades. I don't think it's good for political views.

Ironically, the same people can spot rage and dislike it - whether or not it's deserved - in the opposition.

No matter how rational opponents of Bush might be in criticisms of his policies, these same people loved the phrase 'Bush Derangement Syndrome' to dismiss the concerns as this 'irrational rage'. 'But Bush sold access to government policies and required lobyists to stop donating to Democrats...' "Bush Derangement Syndrome! BDS! BDS! BDS Alert!!!!"

That's not to say there wasn't such a think as 'BDS' - there were some who had 'irrational rage' against Bush and others also. The 'he starts wars because he enjoys killing' lines.

(Enjoyed the power it brought him without concern for the victims is, sadly, a reasonable description - but enjoying the killing, no.)

The effect of this is not only sad for the people, it's dangerous for the world - when issues of 'the morality of a war' can't be heard over the cries of 'hate Jane Fonda!'

I have seen countless people who say 'Anyone but Obama!', just this week I heard a Republican say he'd vote for ANY Democrat for President over Obama.

This is just irrational rage preventing any reasonable political discussion. How can issues be talked about over that rage?

Sadly, few of these people realize they have that rage - hating Obama is like hating child molesters to them, it's just how they 'feel' now.

As sad as the situation is - and I'm not going to say it's new to politics - it's also sad that money seems able to determine who the rage is aimed at, to shape public opinion.

This is how the rage can be turned on an organization with as an American cause as 'increasing voter participation' lke Acorn - attacked like it was 'Al Queda'.

In an environment like this, niceties about things like 'constitutional rights' and 'rights for those you disagree with' are easily trampled beneath 'hate the enemy!'

Common sense would say that Ted Kennedy did not want the young woman he was remembering his brother with to be killed. That whatever happened, however much fault he had for bad judgement not realizing she might be saved, that he should quickly call the authorities, that the bottom line was at most alcohol-fueled poor judgement, deserving of strong criticism and anger but nothing like the rage that took place.

When the right is ready to say nothing else about Bush is important than his drunk driving incident, which could have killed someone, and show the same rage - we'll talk.

That won't happen because the rage is excessive for the terrible act. And it's harmful to our political discussion.

At the same time, much that deserves MORE fury doesn't get much more than a yawn, the corruption, the lies, the use of money to undermine democracy, and so on.

So when Rick Santorum just this week misrepresented what President Kennedy said and argued for removing the 'separation of religion and politics', how many of his supporters - some of whom did mildly 'disagree' - really criticized him for the misrepresentation? I don't remember any.

This rage can occur against groups, countries, religions, etc., not just certain people.

When Hermain Cain commited the outrageous act of religious bigotry to pander to one religious group by saying he would not appoint any Muslims, how many Republican leaders condemned him? How many even of his opponents for the nomination? I don't remember any doing so. They might not have gone as far as he did saying they wouldn't appoint any either, but they were his accomplices, treating his bigotry as legitimate and acceptable.

But when there is irrational rage against Muslims, how is that fixed in the political debate?

This rage this thread is about affects politics, rights, killing. It's rage against gays that supports opposing their equal rights, calling discrimination 'protecting marriage'.

And this rage is a tool used to manipulate people by 'handlers'. Need people to support removing a regulation? Make them feel rage for the backers of the regulation. It rarely gets that specific - just demonize 'the liberals' and get 'your people' in power - but sometimes it does, like with 'Obamacare'.

There are rational issues with Obamacare to favor or oppose - but the rage against is a sort of 'rage against losing America to Stalinism'.

A phrase I find useful about this is 'rage addiction' - when people get so conditioned to be outraged by a daily diet of these manipulations, that that's what politics becomes for them, an ongoing hatred of what they're supposed to hate, much like some people can become 'addicted to war' - it provides adrenaline and entertainment and gives them a sense they're 'for something', a team - not unlike sports team fanatics, but much more intense.

It's hard to get through to people who have irrational rage on something. It's hard to remember a case of their hearing something that got them to be more rational.

A lot of this is hard-wired - every election is painted by the manipulators as 'a historic election which will save or destroy our country'.

Almost everyone will claim they don't 'fall for that', but a lot more have areas of this 'irrational rage'.

Save234

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
Craig quotes himself in his sig. I think that says everything you need to know about him.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Funny, the only people I've noticed that are full of rage are Young Angry Democrats or Liberals. OWS protesters come to mind.
You should do a search on a member here named spidey07, you might have heard of him.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
5xhy.jpg

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Right-Wing irrational rage

It's hard not to notice the phenomenon of the rage common in right-wing politics.

No matter how rational opponents of Bush might be in criticisms of his policies, these same people loved the phrase 'Bush Derangement Syndrome' to dismiss the concerns as this 'irrational rage'. 'But Bush sold access to government policies and required lobyists to stop donating to Democrats...' "Bush Derangement Syndrome! BDS! BDS! BDS Alert!!!!"

That's not to say there wasn't such a think as 'BDS' - there were some who had 'irrational rage' against Bush and others also. The 'he starts wars because he enjoys killing' lines.

The effect of this is not only sad for the people, it's dangerous for the world - when issues of 'the morality of a war' can't be heard over the cries of 'hate Jane Fonda!'

I have seen countless people who say 'Anyone but Obama!', just this week I heard a Republican say he'd vote for ANY Democrat for President over Obama.

This is just irrational rage preventing any reasonable political discussion. How can issues be talked about over that rage?

Sadly, few of these people realize they have that rage - hating Obama is like hating child molesters to them, it's just how they 'feel' now.

As sad as the situation is - and I'm not going to say it's new to politics - it's also sad that money seems able to determine who the rage is aimed at, to shape public opinion.

This is how the rage can be turned on an organization with as an American cause as 'increasing voter participation' lke Acorn - attacked like it was 'Al Queda'.

In an environment like this, niceties about things like 'constitutional rights' and 'rights for those you disagree with' are easily trampled beneath 'hate the enemy!'

This rage this thread is about affects politics, rights, killing. It's rage against gays that supports opposing their equal rights, calling discrimination 'protecting marriage'.

And this rage is a tool used to manipulate people by 'handlers'. Need people to support removing a regulation? Make them feel rage for the backers of the regulation. It rarely gets that specific - just demonize 'the liberals' and get 'your people' in power - but sometimes it does, like with 'Obamacare'.

There are rational issues with Obamacare to favor or oppose - but the rage against is a sort of 'rage against losing America to Stalinism'.

A phrase I find useful about this is 'rage addiction' - when people get so conditioned to be outraged by a daily diet of these manipulations, that that's what politics becomes for them, an ongoing hatred of what they're supposed to hate, much like some people can become 'addicted to war' - it provides adrenaline and entertainment and gives them a sense they're 'for something', a team - not unlike sports team fanatics, but much more intense.

It's hard to get through to people who have irrational rage on something. It's hard to remember a case of their hearing something that got them to be more rational.

A lot of this is hard-wired - every election is painted by the manipulators as 'a historic election which will save or destroy our country'.

Almost everyone will claim they don't 'fall for that', but a lot more have areas of this 'irrational rage'.

Save234

The Rage is equal on both sides.

The rich right-wing rabids went to far and have raged enough liberals to tip the scale beyond the tipping point once again.

You have witnessed the beginning of a new Revolution.

Rage starts Revolutions

Revolutions start when people are "raged".

History always repeats itself because mankind has shown it cannot learn.

Man is inherently weak

Weakened by natural forces called greed, power and jealousy.

The jealousy towards me is so apparent in here.

I saw this coming over ten years ago.

I am the great NostraDaveous of this modern era

Enjoy the Revolution

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
You should do a search on a member here named spidey07, you might have heard of him.

You should do a search for a dictionary and then find the word rage. I don't see how you can apply rage to someone typing on an internet forum. Perhaps if spidey used ALL CAPS?

Irrational; sometimes, rage; 404 not found.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I took a quick glance, saw pathetic excuse-making for Ted Kennedy's killing a young woman because he was a degenerate drunk and stopped right there. This trash isn't worth my time.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You should do a search for a dictionary and then find the word rage. I don't see how you can apply rage to someone typing on an internet forum. Perhaps if spidey used ALL CAPS?

Irrational; sometimes, rage; 404 not found.
I'd like to introduce you to a piece of punctuation called the exclamation point:

!

It can be used to convey emotion through the written word.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
................How does Chappaquiddick compare to the Bushes? George W. Bush was convicted of drunk driving. How is that less bad than Kennedy's act? What if Kennedy had driven drunk and not killed anyone, and George W. Bush had killed someone? In terms of how bad their actions were, assuming Kennedy was drunk, they're the same as far as the accident. It's just a matter of luck that one drunk driver has an accident and another doesn't. By the time they're driving drunk, they're already committed the crime of people people at risk. ..............

It's worse because Kennedy showed himself to be not only a drunk, not only a coward, not only a murderer, but a typical lying piece of shit liberal/progressive Democrat that was more concerned with his political and social standing then he was about a girls life. He let Mary Jo Kopechne die a slow and agonizing death by drowning while he went to get a lawyer and call his family.

If you say something else that's over and above your usual dumbshit rantings i'll reply to those later.

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
I think it's rationalized pretty easily - which groups when meeting en masse had violence, rapes, stabbings, living in filth and had to be removed? The Tea Party or the Occupy folks? Oddly enough none of the rage of the Occupiers, who for 8 years screeched about how cool dissent was, are now little lambs when it comes to big bad government and give a complete pass to Obama even though he's continued and strengthened some of the most heinous parts of the Patriot Act? Who believes Bush blew up the Towers? The berms in NOLA? Who made movies about assassinating the president? And on and on. I play it straight down the middle but on this issue the far left is so unhinged they think MSNBC has turned conservative.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Cliffs:

"Waaaaaah, Republicans are evil. Democrats are OK even though they kill people, because we'll call it an accident later."

If I could reach through the intarwebz and bitchslap Craig, I would.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I didn't read the whole thing. and I don't identify myself as an angry right-winger. But:

I thought Kennedy should have at least gone to jail.

I thought Fonda was aiding and abetting an enemy in time of armed conflict and should have had a trial for it.

There is some merit in what the OP says as I see things that piss me off from the right as being fake and manufactured ideas and what pisses me off about the left is usually personal actions.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I think it's rationalized pretty easily - which groups when meeting en masse had violence, rapes, stabbings, living in filth and had to be removed? The Tea Party or the Occupy folks? Oddly enough none of the rage of the Occupiers, who for 8 years screeched about how cool dissent was, are now little lambs when it comes to big bad government and give a complete pass to Obama even though he's continued and strengthened some of the most heinous parts of the Patriot Act? Who believes Bush blew up the Towers? The berms in NOLA? Who made movies about assassinating the president? And on and on. I play it straight down the middle but on this issue the far left is so unhinged they think MSNBC has turned conservative.

Well as far as OWS vs Tea Party gatherings comparisons, there's a major problem. First, law enforcement treated the Tea Party better from the start. Second, Tea Party gatherings lasted a matter of hours, not months like OWS. Unfortunately, like any other disorganized gathering, the OWS social behavior broke down with time. Very few of us on the left give Obama a pass on his continuation of Patriot Act. The percentage of the left who believe Bush caused 9/11 is very small vs a very large population of the right who believe Obama is not a natural born citizen.

Part of the problem is that the worst behavior of the far left and the worst behavior of the far right is seen through rose colored glasses from each side. However the far left is indeed a fringe group, the far right is a huge majority of the party. The left has, a few tens of thousands of crazies. The right has ... well, only a few dozen who aren't crazy right now. I think the fact that Santorum has won any primaries shows you that.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Also, to Craig, while I've seen you make valid points at times, now I don't know. If you decide to write a short story massive post, no one cares how valid anything you say is. If you learn to make your point short and sweet, and perhaps a bit less antagonistic, you might actually get people to consider what you have to say.