Right spot at the right time -- now need a motherboard

scdill

Dec 30, 2000
I found myself in the right place at the right time, and acquired an E8400 and 4GB of Crucial PC2-6400 memory for a net outlay of $10. I have been on the AMD side of the fence for so long that I know almost zero about the Intel side. I know read, read, and read some more. But, I would appreciate a jump start.

What I am looking for is suggestions for an inexpensive motherboard that overclocks reasonably well and has onboard graphics (with DVI out), or suggestions for separate motherboard and graphic card.

The machine will be used for light graphics, software development, surfing, etc. Not for gaming.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: scdill
I found myself in the right place at the right time, and acquired an E8400 and 4GB of Crucial PC2-6400 memory for a net outlay of $10. I have been on the AMD side of the fence for so long that I know almost zero about the Intel side. I know read, read, and read some more. But, I would appreciate a jump start.

What I am looking for is suggestions for an inexpensive motherboard that overclocks reasonably well and has onboard graphics (with DVI out), or suggestions for separate motherboard and graphic card.

The machine will be used for light graphics, software development, surfing, etc. Not for gaming.

Is the geek you mugged OK? I presume the $10 "net outlay" was for cab fare...

chuckm

Feb 11, 2007
I'll double your money right now and you won't have to buy anything else!

scdill

Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by: krnmastersgt

To the OP:
This is what you're looking for, no? Cheapest one I could find that fits what you described completely.

Thanks for the suggestion, I took a look at the Zotac in your link (as well as a couple of other 7100 and 7150 boards) and I'm starting to think I'm letting my cheap get in the way of my common sense.

As I read more, I realize to get a significant overclock out of the e8400, I am going to have to get the motherboard FSB up to at about 400MHZ. I'm really wondering if a board in the $50 dollar range with graphics can do the job. I think I need to spend more time reading and probably spend a bit more than I first thought.