Right Elbow/Forearm issue - Anyone had this happen?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I was carrying some heavy 16 foot lumber by myself and I mildly hurt a ligament in my right arm/elbow, but thought it was just muscular. (wasn't too bad) The picture on the bottom right has the Posterolateral portal circled. I think the ligament right where the humerus and Ulna come together got stressed. I felt a little pain, but it wasn't too bad because I was done for the day working and moving lumber when it happened. I didn't get back to work for 5-6 days.

1602647214184.png

I was being careful using a pry bar and hammer. Any shocks to my arm hurt, so I had planned on being careful and not doing anything to overstress it. I picked up another large board, which wouldn't normally be a big deal and felt my forearm give way a little, so I dropped the board right away so I wouldn't do any more damage.

I felt a bunch of pain where the median nerve is in that picture. Basically, my elbow and forearm have both been messed up. My wife's a medical expert, so I had her look at the ligament. She felt it and said it was good. I started taking some muscle relaxers and had her call me in some steroids. I took a low dose for 5 days, but cut those off so my adrenal glands could catch up....I may hit it for another 5 days later this week. My elbow isn't much better. My grip strength is pretty low and basic movements hurt.

I'm going to continue anti-inflammatories, ice, and do another 5 days of steroids. Anyone know of any treatments that may make this heal up faster?

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
You need to do physical therapy most likely, unfortunately.

I would get started on that ASAP, that's the only way to make this better properly.

I got tendonitis/tennis elbow really badly after bouldering too much without resting and also playing musical instruments. Similar thing, loss of strength, pain with certain movements, ache/discomfort. I had to do a decent amount of PT but I've been back in business afterwords. It won't ever be 100% again most likely but not enough that you really notice it if your experience is like mine.

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012
PT, don't get into shit like IGF or peptides. You'll probably end up with bitch tits.

H&F is not OT. Such language is not necessarily appropriate here. Please keep this in mind.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
You need to do physical therapy most likely, unfortunately.

I would get started on that ASAP, that's the only way to make this better properly.

I got tendonitis/tennis elbow really badly after bouldering too much without resting and also playing musical instruments. Similar thing, loss of strength, pain with certain movements, ache/discomfort. I had to do a decent amount of PT but I've been back in business afterwords. It won't ever be 100% again most likely but not enough that you really notice it if your experience is like mine.
I lost a lot of muscle mass from doing too much cardio a few years ago (running 30-40 miles a week and trying to cut weight). I never worked to gain it back...so my arms/biceps/triceps took a hit and shrunk a little.

I think when I lifted those boards, my forearms were pulling more weight because my biceps couldn't support the weight like they used to...and that's what caused the injury to the muscle, then the ligament. My forearms are where the damage is, though the pain is in the elbow. It's a mess because the nerves are within a few inches of the injury and it's tough to tell exactly what's hurt and where. I know where I felt a pop when I blew it out.

I'm going to hold off on PT with the exception of lifting 3lb weights to keep it loose for a few weeks. My wife was telling me to go back on steroids and upping the dosage to 40mg. I may do that in a few days, but I'm thinking it may be finally gaining some ground on healing up. I still don't have much grip strength, but it's getting better and when I do squeeze objects with my right hand the pain isn't as bad. 3-4 weeks, I'll be crushing beer cans again, I'm sure.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I lost a lot of muscle mass from doing too much cardio a few years ago (running 30-40 miles a week and trying to cut weight). I never worked to gain it back...so my arms/biceps/triceps took a hit and shrunk a little.

I think when I lifted those boards, my forearms were pulling more weight because my biceps couldn't support the weight like they used to...and that's what caused the injury to the muscle, then the ligament. My forearms are where the damage is, though the pain is in the elbow. It's a mess because the nerves are within a few inches of the injury and it's tough to tell exactly what's hurt and where. I know where I felt a pop when I blew it out.

I'm going to hold off on PT with the exception of lifting 3lb weights to keep it loose for a few weeks. My wife was telling me to go back on steroids and upping the dosage to 40mg. I may do that in a few days, but I'm thinking it may be finally gaining some ground on healing up. I still don't have much grip strength, but it's getting better and when I do squeeze objects with my right hand the pain isn't as bad. 3-4 weeks, I'll be crushing beer cans again, I'm sure.

Definitely not a doctor but I don't think steroids are going to help you here. The only path to joy is putting in the rehabilitation time in PT imo, but I really hope you feel better soon! PT will be able to find what specific thing is fucked and help you target it. The exercises are remarkably different depending on what is wrong.

Most PT places give you a free evaluation and tell you what's wrong, measure your grip strength, etc.

My gut says you're just wasting time you could be spending on healing by waiting and hoping shit gets better (it usually doesn't), but again not a medical pro so grain of salt :) I've just been down this road before so hoping to help you get back to shape as quickly as possible.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Definitely not a doctor but I don't think steroids are going to help you here. The only path to joy is putting in the rehabilitation time in PT imo, but I really hope you feel better soon! PT will be able to find what specific thing is fucked and help you target it. The exercises are remarkably different depending on what is wrong.

Most PT places give you a free evaluation and tell you what's wrong, measure your grip strength, etc.

My gut says you're just wasting time you could be spending on healing by waiting and hoping shit gets better (it usually doesn't), but again not a medical pro so grain of salt :) I've just been down this road before so hoping to help you get back to shape as quickly as possible.
Steroids do 2 things...they reduce inflammation and help repair the muscle damage faster. I totally agree with you that steroids won't do anything for a ligament. I agree with the PT stuff.

I may reach out to my PT contacts and bother them for some exercise recommendations. The toughest thing is that there's a hurt ligament, hurt muscle, and a few nerves that are making those two things hurt worse than they should while they heal.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I started back on steroids, but kicked the dose up to 40mg ONCE daily and have been doing some stretches every day for the past few days. I ended up pull-starting a 2 cycle pole saw on Saturday and thought I re-injured myself.

I went to bed last night with pain in my arm....fell asleep with an elbow brace on...but got up and took it off in the middle of the night. I actually woke up today almost pain free. I just have mild nerve tingling in that elbow/arm...which is a good sign. It appears to be easing up after 3 weeks of pain even typing and moving my fingers.... Even holding the weight of a coffee cup has been difficult. (even worse pouring milk out of a gallon jug)

I've got like 60mg of steroids left.... I'm thinking the 20mg doses weren't enough last week to heal it up. I may hit it with another 40mg today and 20mg tomorrow. I've gotta get this arm back in gear so I can get back to work. I'm definitely going to start some kind of daily rehab to build my forearms up to reduce the likelihood of reinjury.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
Give your body more time, mate. Go on light duty until you are pain free, at least alter your usage to protect that arm. Steroids have a tendency to mask the pain. Gentle movement + light duty + time = success.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I went to my garage and grabbed some plastic spring clamps I have out there a few days ago I've been using those to work on my grip strength. I still have pain in my forearm when my palm is facing down and I lift my arm straight out in front of me. Gripping the clamps brings on a little pain, but it feels good too because it's moving the muscles around. I'm using that and some stretches daily for PT. I want it to stay loose as it heals up. Making progress though. Pushups don't affect it at all and I've been taking a single 30lb dumbbell and lifting that on an inclined bench with both hands without any problems. Only certain motions seem to affect it, but I want the other muscles to stay in check to give it support when it heals back up so I don't do this again next Spring.

It's just looking like it's going to be January before it's better at this point.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
By reducing your resistance training you not only reduced the size of your muscles, but you will have also reduced the strength of the ligaments in the joints the muscles are attached to. The body responds to stress by strengthening areas.
You likely have a more mild form of what affected my brother. He hurt his forearm and elbow at work when a 60lb item fell off a table and he reacted by trying to catch it. The item had fallen 1 foot by the time he had grabbed it.
Of course, he didn't stop it. Nothing became detached, but he significantly strained the muscles and ligaments in his arm. Severe inflammation and with that pain. He had 2 years of PT, but never went back to normal. It's been 5 years and he still has weakness in that arm and occasional pain.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
February update... I can pick up milk jugs and 12 packs of beer again, but I still have pain and feel weak in my right arm. I've started lifting 3lb weights some and have a few 30lb weights that I've done minimal lifting with. I have been trying to shock it without injuring myself. I'm definitely doing better, but it's still got a problem. Hopefully it's 100% by Summer. I was hopeful it would be further along by now, but the ligament/muscle that's hurt just doesn't have any extra support, so it's tough to put it through a lot without risk of total reinjury.

Be careful...don't hurt yourself like I did. =P