Right blinker goes in hyperspeed, left blinker goes in normal speed..

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
In my Explorer when I activate the right turn signal, it blinks at almost 3 times the speed as my left blinker does..which does it in normal speed. Anyone know why this would be the case? :confused:

/waits for blinker fluid comment

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
Check your other lights. Most likely, as mentioned already, a bulb is out. Easy $2 replacement.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
You have a burnt out bulb

Yeah, check your lights. When a bulb blows, the lights will blink faster. Take care of it quick, since the Police can see the fast blinking as well and hand you a ticket for a blown turn signal. (Especially if it is in the back)

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
It's probably about to burn out, but that doesn't mean it's what is causing the hyper-blinker effect. I've replaced my lights with LED's before and doing so on either turn signals turns it into a hyper-blinker as well because of the low resistance.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
could you your relay is bad as well. I had a Mercury once that had the exact same problem. Fixed with an $8 relay

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I remember the thermal mode flashers where adding more load = faster flashing. This was due to the increased current which would heat the bimetal strip faster resulting in a faster snap-open.

Merry midget Christmas lights (the flasher bulbs) still work like that. If you hold the bulb near your ear you will hear the strip bouncing. It has a distinct tinkerbell sound like those old phonograph storybooks when you were signaled to turn the page. :)

I suppose newer stuff doesn't work that way. I'm surprised they don't use solid state flashers with a bell to remind the driver their blinker is still on. ;)

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: amdhunter

Yeah, check your lights. When a bulb blows, the lights will blink faster. Take care of it quick, since the Police can see the fast blinking as well and hand you a ticket for a blown turn signal. (Especially if it is in the back)

So it's either the front signal or the back one? I've seen the reflection of the front signal in cars in front of me and that seems to be fine..so it's probably the back one that's out?

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Syringer
Originally posted by: amdhunter

So it's either the front signal or the back one? I've seen the reflection of the front signal in cars in front of me and that seems to be fine..so it's probably the back one that's out?

Start the car. Turn on blinker. Get out of car and look at turn signals