riders here, do you have a favorite mid level brand?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'm ordering a Kaabo Wolf King GT Pro electric scooter later this week, and realized my "riding gear" would probably get me killed on this. It's slow compared to a motorcycle, but a standing scooter that can go 63 and can do 0-40 in 5.8 seconds I'm going to need to add protection. I Googled and see all sorts of recommendations, but I know the regulars here so I'm more trusting of the opinions I see.

I went over budget on the scooter by a good chunk so my plan is to ride in slow mode (20mph max) using my current dinky helmet and jeans until I can afford some actual gear. As much as I'd like to, it'll be ages before I could even think about something like a $600 Alpinestars jacket with a helmet and pants that cost the same. And I know I need a jacket, pants, gloves and a helmet though. I'm trying to find a middle-ground stuff. I'm not much of a daredevil so I won't be going 60 except maybe after a few days just to see how it is. But I think I could handle 45-50, and I've read some horror stories from crashes at 40, where the people said they were in riding gear. I'll be riding a decent amount, and maybe even look up a local scooter gang or whatever they're called to maybe race around with. Here's the list I've put together

https://www.revzilla.com//wish-list/public/b3995501c48eb160511c6caeb8e28644?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Wish List Email

I know I could get a better helmet for cheaper, but I'm really stuck on how they look, especially the Cali bear one. But the other one has MIPS which is probably a smarter choice over picking one because it has a cool ass looking bear on it lol. Googling Icon people seem to either love them or think they're complete junk. There's a cycle gear shop around the corner that carries them so I can go try one on. But I see a lot people saying they don't fit certain heads well at all, and a lot comment even if they fit, it'll be close topainfully tight at first until you break it in.

I'm in So Cal, so I'd like stuff that won't have me baking too badly in the summer. I also plan to get an Ogio Mach backpack with a hydration bladder so I can stay hydrated. My budget here's $1k if I really stretch it. I don't want to cheap out, but I don't want to have to wait 3 months to be able to afford stuff so I can safely ride at higher speeds. And I don't want to buy stuff now that I'll end up wanting to upgrade in 6 months. $1k seems like a good starting amount, but I've never bought riding gear soi what do I know? I'd like to know if I picked out decent stuff.

It seems like a lot have it, but for any helmet suggestions, I'm trying to find something that has cutouts for the Bluetooth audio gear.

for anyone interested there's a speed test video of it, I know I'll be too chicken shit to go full speed, but gunning it to 40-50 would be a damn blast for me. It's a 2x2000 watt dual motor scooter. Also cruising around at 45 would be a huge step up over my current Segway scooter that tops out at 19,

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
a standing scooter that can go 63 and can do 0-40 in 5.8 seconds

Dibs on your stuff? ;)

For the love of God fast motorcycles are dangerous enough and they accelerate/handle/stop exponentially better/faster than any scooter .... only way I ride one of those death-machines on the road at all is wearing FULL padded teflon body-armor!

At least if I'm on a sport-bike bike I'M the one mostly "in charge" because even in a Tesla Plaid edition you won't catch me (except maybe in a straight line) lol .... "scooter-boy" = speed-bump if a cage-driver in a Prius gets pissed off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken g6

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Dibs on your stuff? ;)

For the love of God fast motorcycles are dangerous enough and they accelerate/handle/stop exponentially better/faster than any scooter .... only way I ride one of those death-machines on the road at all is wearing FULL padded teflon body-armor!

At least if I'm on a sport-bike bike I'M the one mostly "in charge" because even in a Tesla Plaid edition you won't catch me (except maybe in a straight line) lol .... "scooter-boy" = speed-bump if a cage-driver in a Prius gets pissed off.

I got a pretty decent setup, Icon leather jacket with arms/shoulders/back D3O, a full face MIPS helmet, some D3O gloves and riding boots. I haven't gone anywhere near top speed yet. I did almost get hit by a car that wasn't paying attention and when I swerved to avoid it I ran into a curb planter thing and went flying. I was going maybe 25, and even with full gear on I felt like I had broken ribs for about 10 days.

I know it's dangerous to ride with all the idiot drivers, but the deck's about a foot off the ground which makes me almost 7 feet tall on it so I should be somewhat visible at least. It also lights up like a xmas tree at night and has a horn that's about as loud as a small car. It's fun as hell to ride, and I hope the crash was the 1 time it'll happen and I got it out of the way. I know a lot of the motocycle and scooter riders drill in peoples head "It's not not if you crash, but when you crash"

• Wow
Reactions: Ken g6 and Captante