Rick and Morty is hilarious.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Welcome to 2013!

welcome-iszvda.jpg

Nov 8, 2012
Can you describe it a bit further on the overall genre? Is it based on nerd-esque type of knowledge humor? Or is it just a funny cartoon like Family Guy or something with a twisted theme? If you could name a related show what would it be?

I ask all these annoying questions because I tried watching the first season, not sure if it was slow or something - but I found the humor lacking a bit and gave up.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Can you describe it a bit further on the overall genre? Is it based on nerd-esque type of knowledge humor? Or is it just a funny cartoon like Family Guy or something with a twisted theme? If you could name a related show what would it be?

I ask all these annoying questions because I tried watching the first season, not sure if it was slow or something - but I found the humor lacking a bit and gave up.
their voices and the way they speak annoys me, especially morty who's like nails on a chalkboard for me....not sure how else i can describe my dislike for it

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I love it too. Hard to describe why...

Well in addition to the gross out humor and rapid fire nerd culture references (some very subtle) I find the writing to be intelligent and in some cases emotionally sharp.

Consider the episode where they "Cronenburg" the entire world and Rick is unable to fix it. The only solution is for Rick to portal them to another universe, leaving their family in apocalyptic hellscape fighting off the mutated remains of humanity for the rest of their lives.

The universe Rick picks is exactly the same as the one they left before Rick screwed it up with the only difference being the new universes Rick and Morty had just been gruesomely killed. Morty must bury his own mutilated body while worrying about his left behind family.

But then he goes into his house and sees his "family" like nothing's changed. It brings up disturbing philosophical questions about his feelings for his family if they can be replaced as easily as that.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Well in addition to the gross out humor and rapid fire nerd culture references (some very subtle) I find the writing to be intelligent and in some cases emotionally sharp.

that "keep summer safe" was a good one

also the life simulation game

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I got me a Rick t-shirt before it became hip. Got my nephew a Morty shirt for his senior year in high school. He's now off serving in the Marines, but R&M is our thing.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
the burping annoys the fuck out of me

i know they toned it down, but it needs to be removed
If they remove the burping then they might as well remove Rick because the burping what makes rick funny when he talks

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
their voices and the way they speak annoys me, especially morty who's like nails on a chalkboard for me....not sure how else i can describe my dislike for it
This. Oh so much this. I can't watch the show, it drives me mad.

The Venture Bros. is better anyhow

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Some shows like Sunny In Philadelphia or Veep need you to shift perspective and root for and appreciate the least in us all.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
This. Oh so much this. I can't watch the show, it drives me mad.

The Venture Bros. is better anyhow

I do find the voice acting fairly bad, but I'm able to get past that and just enjoy the show. I love it in all its quirkiness.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
if they would reduce/eliminate the burping and fix his hair so it looks more like hair and less like a baby's bonnet or something it would help

46x2o3d.jpg
eeg6BPS.jpg

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
The pace of the voice acting as well...slow it down a tad and it would be less irritating imo

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012

Consider the episode where they "Cronenburg" the entire world and Rick is unable to fix it. The only solution is for Rick to portal them to another universe, leaving their family in apocalyptic hellscape fighting off the mutated remains of humanity for the rest of their lives.

The universe Rick picks is exactly the same as the one they left before Rick screwed it up with the only difference being the new universes Rick and Morty had just been gruesomely killed. Morty must bury his own mutilated body while worrying about his left behind family.

But then he goes into his house and sees his "family" like nothing's changed. It brings up disturbing philosophical questions about his feelings for his family if they can be replaced as easily as that.

One of the most beautifully done episodes ever.

Reactions: OutHouse