Richland & Kabini rumours

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Anand got the same results as TR and HWCanucks , yet his results
seems no more relevant including for thoses that generaly praise
him as a reliable source...

power-95wsm.png

That graph shows exactly the trouble I see here in my house.

Notice the difference between the system-level power draw of the FX-8320 (95W) and the i5-2500K (95W).

Clearly those two processors are not operating anywhere close to comparable power levels.

Likewise compare the gap in system level power draw between the FX-8320 (95W) and that of the 125W rated CPUs (FX-8150 and FX-8350). The CPU's are rated 30W difference and yet the tests only show a 10W difference. :confused:

So either the 95W 8320 is totally blowing out past its rated power or the 8150 and 8350 are conservatively rated...but if the 8350 and 8150 are conservatively rated then what must that mean for the even lower rated 95W i5-2500K and 77W 3570K? They must be using single-digit wattage to make the system-level power numbers jive.

And there is a third telling feature captured in the graph - the system-level power traces for both the 8350 and 8150 overlap practically identically for lengthy portions of the curve.

Everyone knows IC chips are statistically part of a distribution and the odds of having two different designs (bulldozer vs piledriver) and two physically different chips (process induced variability) pulling down exactly the same amount of peak power is just nonsensical. It defies reason and logic. It look artificial, like having Vsync turned on when reviewing the frame rates delivered by two different video cards.

When I sum up what the data in that graph are telling me, I conclude that it very much looks like both the 8150 and the 8350 are operating in a current-limited (throttled) regime during the benchmark and the power usage is artificially capped which explains why they overlap nearly identically at the peak of their power usage as well as explaining why they appear to only use 10W more power than the 95W rated 8320.

Furthermore it is quite clear that even the 95W FX-8320 is pulling down juice at an amazing rate when contrasted to the 77W 3570K and 95W 2500K. The gap between these systems should not be so large if one were really intending to ascribe the entirety of the delta to power losses and system component inefficiencies.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Nobody is trying to claim the CPU alone was pulling 195W but the fact that is was pulling more than AMD claim it should at stock has pretty much been proved.

To be sure the 8350 does consume 195W when overclocked, so will a 3770K and a 2600K, but in no event do the CPUs meltdown or even come close to melting down.

High power consumption from chips is not unusual, happens all the time with GPUs.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Well I believe MS from LC and his review more since he measured the power draw right at the VRM . His own data says that 8150 when fully loaded across all cores(running at highest Turbo core 3.9Ghz) draws 115W from the socket before the VRM. Since both 8150 and 8350 have comparable full load power numbers at the system level it's just impossible for 8350 to draw noticeably more power at the socket level than 8150. It's just logical.

As for 2500K and it's TDP rating,not only it's sort of an APU where you have GPU on board, it indeed has power savvy cores that just don't draw that much power in the first place. Therefore it's pure x86 power rating is rather conservative when comapred to similarly "rated" FX CPUs. I doubt 2500K draws more than 75-80W under linx 64bit MT workload.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
You keep talking in all this semi-scientific BS when the reality of the situation is that nearly all PSUs don't reach their peak efficiency %s until around 50% load. From memory IDC was using something like a 750W PSU which means it should have been more efficient on the AMD rig than the intel one.

I'm sure you have some nice long words that can disprove this though.

No need of nice words since you didnt even catch that i was
speaking of the MB local switch mode power supply efficency
when it comes to onboard losses wich are different from the
main PSU losses.

Obviously you dont know what is discussed but keep insisting
although at your level since you brand as BS what is beyond
your understanding.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
To be sure the 8350 does consume 195W when overclocked, so will a 3770K and a 2600K, but in no event do the CPUs meltdown or even come close to melting down.

High power consumption from chips is not unusual, happens all the time with GPUs.

Agreed, I said as much in post #1435.

My personal conspiracy theory is that AMD have pushed the silicon past the speeds it was designed (should have been set at) to be operated at due to it's lack lustre single threaded performance when compared to Intel/previous generation AMD chips.

We all know CPUs require more and more power once they start reaching their natural OC caps and I would guess that the FX chips are a lot closer to the steep part of the graph than there Intel counterparts.

Have you done any underclocking and graphed out the power draw of the 8350 yet (or do you intend to) IDC? I seem to recall you already did something similar for a SB chip a while back. I would guess that 195W draw is going to drop back down to a more sensible level once the chip isn't being pushed past its natural limits.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
That graph shows exactly the trouble I see here in my house.

Notice the difference between the system-level power draw of the FX-8320 (95W) and the i5-2500K (95W).

Clearly those two processors are not operating anywhere close to comparable power levels.

Likewise compare the gap in system level power draw between the FX-8320 (95W) and that of the 125W rated CPUs (FX-8150 and FX-8350). The CPU's are rated 30W difference and yet the tests only show a 10W difference. :confused:

So either the 95W 8320 is totally blowing out past its rated power or the 8150 and 8350 are conservatively rated...but if the 8350 and 8150 are conservatively rated then what must that mean for the even lower rated 95W i5-2500K and 77W 3570K? They must be using single-digit wattage to make the system-level power numbers jive.

And there is a third telling feature captured in the graph - the system-level power traces for both the 8350 and 8150 overlap practically identically for lengthy portions of the curve.

Everyone knows IC chips are statistically part of a distribution and the odds of having two different designs (bulldozer vs piledriver) and two physically different chips (process induced variability) pulling down exactly the same amount of peak power is just nonsensical. It defies reason and logic. It look artificial, like having Vsync turned on when reviewing the frame rates delivered by two different video cards.

When I sum up what the data in that graph are telling me, I conclude that it very much looks like both the 8150 and the 8350 are operating in a current-limited (throttled) regime during the benchmark and the power usage is artificially capped which explains why they overlap nearly identically at the peak of their power usage as well as explaining why they appear to only use 10W more power than the 95W rated 8320.

Furthermore it is quite clear that even the 95W FX-8320 is pulling down juice at an amazing rate when contrasted to the 77W 3570K and 95W 2500K. The gap between these systems should not be so large if one were really intending to ascribe the entirety of the delta to power losses and system component inefficiencies.

IDC, you take the TDP as POWER USAGE.

125W TDP means that you need a Heat-Sink Fan able to dissipate 125W of heat from the processor in order to keep the operating temperature of the chip within the limits set by the manufacturer(TJmax).

Since the two CPU dies of the 2500K and FX8320 (different die sizes, different power maps etc) and TJmax are different, 95W TDP will not make both CPUs use the same power.

Also once again, you forgetting that the FX8320 (and all AM3+ systems) has an extra North Bridge(990FX) in the motherboard that adds up to 20W more power usage to the entire AM3+ system. Intel Core i5 2500K has the northbridge integrated in to the CPU die.

Once again, the TDP is not the power usage and two different chips can have the same TDP but different power usage.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
IDC , no one dispute the fact that the FX consume notably more
than the i7 but anyway i find odd that TR get 20W less than you
at iddle while using the same MB and a HD7950 and another site
did get even lower figures.

For loaded power they got 140-150W more , wich correlate
with the VRMs efficencies as well as with increased compsumption
of the MB itself.

The randomicity of silicon processes is countered simply by binning
the chips , that is , if it consume more than average it is relegated
as a lower frequency part , eventualy even a lower core count part.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
No need of nice words since you didnt even catch that i was
speaking of the MB local switch mode power supply efficency
when it comes to onboard losses wich are different from the
main PSU losses.

Obviously you dont know what is discussed but keep insisting
although at your level since you brand as BS what is beyond
your understanding.

Ah I see oh great one, just to clarify your point how many extra watts compared to an intel rig do you feel the mobo is wasting?

As I have already pointed out the AMD rig should already be up by a few watts due to the PSU running at a more efficient level and you seem so sure the mobo is to blame so what are we talking? 30 watts? 40 watts? 80 watts?

Go on pull some more numbers out of your butt.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
The randomicity of silicon processes is countered simply by binning the chips , that is , if it consume more than average it is relegated as a lower frequency part , eventualy even a lower core count part.

You have no idea what AMDs binning procedure/yields are. Please stop pretending otherwise.

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
As I have already pointed out the AMD rig should already be up by a few watts due to the PSU running at a more efficient level
10% of 80W is 8W, 9% of 110W is 9.9W. Efficiency is relative to its base values and PSU efficiency curves are fairly flat beyond a certain point.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Ah I see oh great one, just to clarify your point how many extra watts compared to an intel rig do you feel the mobo is wasting?

As I have already pointed out the AMD rig should already be up by a few watts due to the PSU running at a more efficient level and you seem so sure the mobo is to blame so what are we talking? 30 watts? 40 watts? 80 watts?

Go on pull some more numbers out of your butt.

I gave numbers that are not disputables but you failed to understand
them.

I ll repeat one thing : Assuming the ONBOARD SMPS that feed
the CPU has 84% efficency it will pull 150W to provide 125W
to the CPU , the rest , 25W , is dissipated mainly by the VRMs
and a little is dissipated in the attached inductances and smoothing
capacitors since they have built in parasistical serial resistances.

FYI i have no trouble designing analog circuitry including switch
mode PSUs...

There are other sources of lossses on the MB once the CPU
is fully loaded since even the RAM will forcibly consume more.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
125W TDP means that you need a Heat-Sink Fan able to dissipate 125W of heat from the processor in order to keep the operating temperature of the chip within the limits set by the manufacturer(TJmax).

Everyone posting here knows what TDP is.

Since various people participating in this forum have proven a 8350 CPU draws more than 125W, what you are saying is AMD is intentionally stating a TDP that if followed by a system builder will fail to adequately cool the CPU.

That's awesome of them.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
IDC, you take the TDP as POWER USAGE.

Since the two CPU dies of the 2500K and FX8320 (different die sizes, different power maps etc) and TJmax are different, 95W TDP will not make both CPUs use the same power.

Also once again, you forgetting that the FX8320 (and all AM3+ systems) has an extra North Bridge(990FX) in the motherboard that adds up to 20W more power usage to the entire AM3+ system. Intel Core i5 2500K has the northbridge integrated in to the CPU die.

Once again, the TDP is not the power usage and two different chips can have the same TDP but different power usage.

I have to LOL a bit there (not at you, at the situation overall) because AMD got us good there. They won't even spec the max temperature for Piledriver, no TJmax period. So they may as well set TDP to 200W for all that it matters in that regard.

My point regarding TDP of the FX-8350 is that it is clearly a number that has no meaning, period. It lacks any specificity whatsoever.

It is true there is no max-power spec for the FX8350. It is also true there is no max temperature spec, and no max voltage spec.

In fact good luck (as you know, and as you know that I know) finding specs on the 8350 for practically any electrical parameter :(

But MSI's engineers would know, as would AMD's engineers. And I doubt very much that MSI's engineers would go off on their own, without any good reason or out of ignorance to their job and profession, and craft the power-consumption limiter as they did combined with guiding their technical support team to the specifics of the issue. (complete with linking to my very thread in these forums on the topic of FX-8350's power consumption)

Those facts are very telling. And the lack facts (from AMD) are very telling.

IDC , no one dispute the fact that the FX consume notably more
than the i7 but anyway i find odd that TR get 20W less than you
at iddle while using the same MB and a HD7950 and another site
did get even lower figures.

For loaded power they got 140-150W more , wich correlate
with the VRMs efficencies as well as with increased compsumption
of the MB itself.

The randomicity of silicon processes is countered simply by binning
the chips , that is , if it consume more than average it is relegated
as a lower frequency part , eventualy even a lower core count part.

I'm not surprised my idle power is 20W higher than theirs, they are using an HD7950 which has AMD's very nice "deep idle" power consumption whereas I am using an MSI GTX460 Cyclone edition (factory OC model) that sucks power even when idle.

However, regardless how much power the GTX460 is sucking down when in 2D idle mode that is the same amount it is sucking down when running LinX or Prime95. The baseline power usage is present in the loaded power usage.

It is the delta between loaded and idle that is troublesome because the only thing that changes is the CPU loaded rate.

But maybe I got a questionably binned 8350. That can't be ruled out. In fact I'd put my money on that being the answer. AMD knows what samples it is sending to reviewers, not that they cherry pick the golden samples but they surely are savvy enough to avoid sending review samples from the right-hand side of the distribution for power vs clockspeed.

But retail gets shipped samples from all parts of the distribution, and it is that high-power end of the distribution that MSI is intending to protect itself from. For example, say hypothetically only 10% of the 8350 CPU's AMD use >125W when fully loaded with prime95. That means 9 out 10 8350 aren't going to notice or have an issue with it, and it also means that 9 out of 10 MSI mobos aren't going to be challenged by a high-power usage CPU.

But it also means 1 out 10 are. Now what happens when that one guy out of ten happens to post his results in a forum? People post up review results and tell him he's crazy or has a bad setup. And what happens if he happens to have an MSI board and he emails MSI asking about the weird temperature issue? They tell him the truth, that AMD ships processors that exceed the power spec and so MSI intentionally throttles those processors when they happen to make it onto an MSI mobo.

People can discount my data, they can discount my setup or my thinking. I'm used to it, it doesn't insult me or offend me. But people should take notice when a tier-1 board supplier like MSI is willing to go on record stating what they have stated. They know the statistics, they have the samples. LC and I do not have samples to speak to distributions and probabilities, but MSI will and did...and their conclusion is there to read in black and white.

To discount their statements, in light of the anecdotal evidence peppered in forums with threads like mine and other members, it is definitely a "missing the forest for the trees" situation IMO at that point. There is too much smoke, and MSI is on record saying they have seen the fire.

My FX8350 may be an outlier, but MSI didn't implement throttling for no good reason.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

Since various people participating in this forum have proven a 8350 CPU draws more than 125W, what you are saying is AMD is intentionally stating a TDP that if followed by a system builder will fail to adequately cool the CPU.

That's awesome of them.

That is the problem. And that is why MSI did what they did, because using more than 125W of power is problem for more than just the CPU that is then over-heating, it is a problem for the motherboard as well.

Which we all know because AMD's 140W Phenom did the same thing to 125W mobo's at the time. Mobo's get rated by TDP rating for a reason. The system only works of the CPU's TDP rating is adhered to by the CPU maker. If they don't then the whole thing comes apart at the seams.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

Then why people keep quoting TDP as the CPU Maximum Power usage ??

That's awesome of them.

I have lost count how many times i have already quoted the same thing in this thread :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power
The TDP is typically not the most power the chip could ever draw, such as by a power virus, but rather the maximum power that it would draw when running "real applications"

Now lets see what happens in real applications.

With CPU and CPU/NB LLC disable and voltages on Auto, I get max power usage in Linx at 227W with Turbo enable and CPU temps of up to 52c (Ambient at 22-23c).

Vcore fluctuated from 1.128v up to 1.413v

With the same settings, x264 HD 5.01 benchmark finished without any problems using up to 217W.

fx8350nollcx264.jpg

fx8350nollcx264finished.jpg

Now, OCed to 4.4GHz and set the voltage to 1.4125v, Linx would get an error BUT, x264 HD 5.01 benchmark show a big boost. Power consumption was up to 240W and CPU temp up to 59c (Ambient at 22-23c).

fx835044ghznollcx2642.jpg

Since the CPU is rated at 125W TDP and the Heat-Sink Fan is able to keep the CPU temperature bellow 60c even at 4.4GHz, it is clear that the CPU is not drawing more that 125W running Real application.

IDC, could you run x264 HD5.0.1 and tell us your energy readings with Voltages on AUTO ??

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
It is the delta between loaded and idle that is troublesome because the only thing that changes is the CPU loaded rate.

As i have said before, there is the AMD 990FX chipset that also contributes power in the TOTAL power usage readings you getting from the wall. The 990FX Chipset will not use the same power at idle as in full load.

This is the AM3+ block diagram.

990fx-diagram.png

The 990FX Chipset is responsible for the transfer of memory data from the CPUs L1/2/3 caches, the DDR memory transfer data from and to the CPU and the control of the HyperTransport links.

amd-fx-zambezi-12.jpg

Now when in idle the 990FX chipset will not use its maximum power, but it will when the CPU will be fully loaded thus will consume up to 20W.

Edit: The 990FX will use up to 20W when the GPUs will be in full load.

So we have the CPU + 990FX power usage.

Now, since you are using four(4) memory dimms, the memory controller is also fully loaded when you are running LinX and we have to add the memory power usage as well.

So now we have the CPU + 990FX + Memory as the TOTAL power usage.

As Abwx have said before (here and here and here), we dont have 100% power efficiency from the wall to each system component (motherboard, PSU etc), thus if the system needs 125W(CPU) + 20W(990FX) + 15W(Memory) = 160W the power drawn from the PSU will be more than that. With 84% power efficiency of the VRMs on the board the system will draw ~190W from the PSU.

Now count the PSU power efficiency and you drawing more than 190W from the wall that you measure with the Watt meter.

Even if the power efficiency is the same at Idle load (80W) and Full load (270W), witch is not (it will be less in full load due to higher temps in the VRM system etc) , at the end, you dont measure only the CPU power consumption but the entire system power consumption at full load with less than 90% power efficiency at the board (VRMs etc) and the power supply.

So again, 190W is not only the CPU power usage difference in the measurements from the wall.

Last edited:

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
The 990FX Chipset is responsible for the transfer of memory data from the CPUs L1/2/3 caches, the DDR memory transfer data from and to the CPU
Wrong. The CPU has an integrated memory controller (ever since K8) and is directly connected to the memory. To go via the north bridge would be terribly inefficient and slow.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Wrong. The CPU has an integrated memory controller (ever since K8) and is directly connected to the memory. To go via the north bridge would be terribly inefficient and slow.

Yes sorry this is the CPU northbridge, the memory controller is not connected to the 990FX.

I will fix it in my post.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
People can discount my data, they can discount my setup or my thinking.

Your honnesty is not questionned of course , that s the interpretation
that is subject of discussion.

The more power is pulled from the main the higher the non linearity
of the PSU wich has a POWER FACTOR that will deacrease with
increased pulled power.

In that respect , a CPU that consume more is more likely to
decrease the PSU PF wich will be "measured" by your kilawatt
as an increase of the apparent (but not real) comsumed power.

As i pointed it , instruments as the killawatt are not adequate
to measure effective power since they will sum the effective
power with the reflected power.

Google "power factor".....

Last edited:

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
The more power is pulled from the main the higher the non linearityof the PSU wich has a POWER FACTOR that will deacrease withincreased pulled power.In that respect , a CPU that consume more is more likely to decrease the PSU PF wich will be "measured" by your kilawatt
as an increase of the apparent (but not real) comsumed power.
Ahh.........thats why my 350W PSU has no problem with max power usage of 446W measured with a cheap power meter.

FX8350
Idle: 74W
P95: 254W
Furmark: 291W
P95+Furmark: 446W

PSU=Be-Quiet S6 350W

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
As Abwx have said before (here and here and here), we dont have 100% power efficiency from the wall to each system component (motherboard, PSU etc), thus if the system needs 125W(CPU) + 20W(990FX) + 15W(Memory) = 160W the power drawn from the PSU will be more than that. With 84% power efficiency of the VRMs on the board the system will draw ~190W from the PSU.

Now count the PSU power efficiency and you drawing more than 190W from the wall that you measure with the Watt meter.

Thanks for this reminder , i ll add that the PSU POWER FACTOR
is still not accounted.

A not so bad PSU has about 0.9 PF , meaning that a basic
instrument will measure 200W while the effective consumed
power is 180W , 10% less.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Ahh.........thats why my 350W PSU has no problem with max power usage of 446W measured with a cheap power meter.

FX8350
Idle: 74W
P95: 254W
Furmark: 291W
P95+Furmark: 446W

PSU=Be-Quiet S6 350W

I cant tell for your PSU but the numbers are quite high , probably
that part of the 446W is real , let s say 400 , it really depend of the
brand , some PSUs are awfull while other have active power factor correction that bring the PF above 0.95.

Recent norms did put 0.9 PF ratio as the minimum standard but there s
still a lot of PSUs that are below this value , the cheaper ones being
of course the most likely to be out of the norm.

For the record , the reflected power is consumed by the electricity
source and wont add in your electricity bill , that s why electricity
providers are eager to impose minimum PF since they are the ones
that actualy pay for thoses reflected powers.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.