Richard Engel missing in Syria since Dec.12th UPDATE: Found.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Award-winning NBC News foreign correspondent Richard Engel missing in Syria since last Thursday

NBC News chief foreign correspondent Richard Engel, one of the most prominent and accomplished international correspondents in the world, is reportedly missing in Syria.

Turkish newspaper Hurriyet reports that Engel, together with Turkish journalist Aziz Akyavaş, were last known to be in Syria and haven't been in contact with NBC News since Thursday morning.

While the Turkish media have been circulating the report for several days, American outlets had been operating under a news blackout requested by NBC until today.

From wiki:
Richard Engel (born September 16, 1973) is an American television journalist and author best known as NBC News's chief foreign correspondent.[1] He was assigned to that position on April 18, 2008 from being the network's Middle East correspondent and Beirut Bureau chief. Engel was the first broadcast journalist recipient of the Medill Medal for Courage in Journalism for his report "War Zone Diary."[2]

Prior to joining NBC News in May 2003, he covered the start of the 2003 war in Iraq from Baghdad for ABC News as a freelance journalist. He speaks and reads Arabic fluently and is also fluent in Italian and Spanish. Engel wrote the book A Fist in the Hornet's Nest, published in 2004, about his experience covering the Iraq War from Baghdad. His newest book, War Journal: My Five Years in Iraq, published in June 2008, picks up where his last book left off.

There are still real journalists, not the bleach dyed Fox talking heads posing as journalists.
Hope he's ok.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
That's not good. He is one of the best reporters in the middle east and was very knowledgable and seemed to work well with any locals no matter where he was.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Agreed. The last thing we need to do is lose good journalists.

I admire these brave souls who report from these hell hole war zones... but damned if it isn't stupid on some levels.

You will NEVER catch me in the middle east.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Fewer lines of communication we have with the Middle East, sooner we can glass it.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
Just saw NBC reporting that he and his crew were held for 5 days but are now safe and unharmed. Volume on the TV at work is down so I couldn't hear any details.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Just saw NBC reporting that he and his crew were held for 5 days but are now safe and unharmed. Volume on the TV at work is down so I couldn't hear any details.

Surprising good news.

These journalists who go into war torn countries have balls as big as anybody to be honest.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Confirmed, recaptured and released by a "rebel group" it sounds like thankfully.... who knows what could have happened if he was transported to wherever the Syrian government was taking them? At least, that's how it sounds.... but more details need to be released.

After entering Syria, Engel and his team were abducted, tossed into the back of a truck and blindfolded before being transported to an unknown location believed to be near the small town of Ma’arrat Misrin. During their captivity, they were blindfolded and bound, but otherwise not physically harmed, the network said.

Early Monday evening local time, the prisoners were being moved to a new location in a vehicle when their captors ran into a checkpoint manned by members of the Ahrar al-Sham brigade, a Syrian rebel group. There was a confrontation and a firefight ensued. Two of the captors were killed, while an unknown number of others escaped, the network said.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...bc-news-team-freed-from-captors-in-syria?lite

I always have that thought in my mind when I see him in the middle of battle areas day after day after day. He must enjoy it because the risk to himself is enormous.

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Wow glad to hear they're ok for the moment.

cannon_balls_may_2011.jpg

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Fewer lines of communication we have with the Middle East, sooner we can glass it.

Or perhaps we can just put you and your family in an incinerator and others who think like you and then the rest of us can live in peace.