Rich vs. Poor - Bill Maher nails it.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I agree that he probably makes a lot more than anyone who creates his show. But at least he talks about and believe in redistrubtion of wealth and the problems it is currently causing instead of just ignoring it and/or promoting it.

Is that like Gore? He's free to use as many natural resources as he wants, with a massive house, and flying around the world in his private jet, as long as he pays lip service to climate change?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Actually yes it would be cool if every rich person wanted to share their wealth instead of hoarding amounts they could never dream of spending..and for what?

So it would be cool if they just wanted to? Not actually do it, just want to?

I wanted to give a fuck about what you just posted. I don't. But it's cool, because I wanted to.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
No, that's just you trying to define him, and it in no way supports the notion that Maher is a liberal equivalent to Mr. Anal Cyst.

He's an Indie, and not the Bill O'Reilly variety.

Scathing views on religion and culture aside, I think the right loathes him because it's harder to dismiss someone along partisan lines when they demonstrate they don't care about partisan lines. Means you have to debate the issue on it's merits, something conservatives aren't too good at lately...

I wouldn't figure someone like you to see him any other way.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Is that like Gore? He's free to use as many natural resources as he wants, with a massive house, and flying around the world in his private jet, as long as he pays lip service to climate change?

Climate change has been very good to Gore to the tune of $200 Million.

Nov 29, 2006

I wanted to give a fuck about what you just posted. I don't. But it's cool, because I wanted to.

Way to read way more into my post then intended. Par for the course though, so good job keeping up with tradition.

You still havent grasped the concept of policy changes and charity it seems. And since rich people are the ones most likely to affect policy changes and if they were all in agreement on sharing the wealth..ill let you try to connect the dots. Dont want to spoil the fun.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Actually yes it would be cool if every rich person wanted to share their wealth instead of hoarding amounts they could never dream of spending..and for what?

In short, progressives think redistribution is such a great idea that they'll gladly participate, so long as everyone else goes first.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
you do understand bill writes his own material, and all his people do for him basically is tape the show.

and its pretty idiotic to expect bill to redistribute his wealth by himself, as you indicated. he is calling for everyone to come a little closer to the middle, because at no time in our history have the rich been so rich, and everyone else so poor. its getting to the point of dangerous, where safety is an issue for the people at the top. that is his point.

Yup. A gini index of .6+ often leads to violent revolution.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
In short, progressives think redistribution is such a great idea that they'll gladly participate, so long as everyone else goes first.

It is basic psychology. No one really wants to give away their hoard of stuff. They certainly don't want to toil over distributing it themselves as well.

Having the government handle it just makes sense from a logistics standpoint.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I don't mind so much people discussing the gap between the rich and the poor.

But what I don't like is the exclusion of the discussion on the lack of a gap between the working poor and the leeches on welfare. And for the PC Nazis yes there are people on welfare who need it, I'm talking the people who actively abuse the welfare system.

I say begin by taking all the money that's being given to the leeches on welfare and in exchange reduce taxes or something on the working poor.

After that then I'll entertain suggestions on the leeches who are rich.

Can you tell us how much money is going to these leeches?

You admit that not all welfare is fraud, so can you estimate in dollars how much is going to people defrauding the system?

I'd like to understand what kind of a break you think will come to the working poor when you invest in additional people to police the welfare system in order to root out all the fraud.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
It is basic psychology. No one really wants to give away their hoard of stuff. They certainly don't want to toil over distributing it themselves as well.

Having the government handle it just makes sense from a logistics standpoint.

Bullshit. The rich have been doing it for a century or more. Do progressives really want their message to be "we'd do it, but it's soooooooooooooooo hard?" If you can't manage to do it personally, how in the hell do you think people will trust you to do it for others when you're in political power?

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
My CEO only makes 2-3x what I do. I'll bet Maher's salaries is many multiples higher than that compared to his grunts.

My old CEO made 160x what I made, and it was a power company that is basically a monopoly.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
Why do they do that? It's usually important to look at what motivates the behavior.

Yes, look at the Salary some take to "run" the charity. In some cases it is genuine, but often charities have high paid "management" teams.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Doesnt matter how they stack up against another country. Everyone know this. Everything in life is relative. You cannot compare poor here to any other single country in the world.

So comparisons of rich to poor only matter when you say they matter? Comparisons of CEOs to janitors matter, but janitors to the starving billions around the world do not?

How progressive of you.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
So comparisons of rich to poor only matter when you say they matter? Comparisons of CEOs to janitors matter, but janitors to the starving billions around the world do not?

How progressive of you.

Context matters... unless your goal is to torpedo a discussion.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Guilt? Shame? Chronic nose-bleeds? No idea.

What makes you think your answer is correct? What is the source for your assertion.

No wonder proggies like you only believe in forced redistribution.

A lot of people feel obligated to assist those that are actually in need. Not those that are just to lazy to fend for themselves.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
No wonder proggies like you only believe in forced redistribution.

A lot of people feel obligated to assist those that are actually in need. Not those that are just to lazy to fend for themselves.

Supporting redistribution addresses two progressive needs: one, they can project their personal selfishness and lack of charity on others - "I will, but only if those greedy rich bastards pay too" sometimes coupled with "Giving away my own stuff is too hard, can't I just pay some taxes and let the government do it instead?". Secondly, they can justify their lack of actual action via their suppport of government relief efforts - "sorry, but my solo efforts don't matter much in the big scheme of things, let the government do it instead, that's what my taxes are for."