RIAA to sue song-swappers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Did you all know the RIAA tried to sneak in legislation just after 9/11 that would lawfully allow them to launch denial of service attacks against file sharing networks? Luckily this was caught before the security legislation actually passed but it proves these guys will say and do anything to maintain their old business model.
STOP BUYING ALL NEW CDS!!!
I actually did this just last week. Found some CDs at Beast Buy I wanted to buy, noticed one of them had some stupid copy protection on it, then walked away.
Excellent! :)

And BTW, I thought that they managed to slip that legalized DDOS stuff through. Oh well, I'm glad it didn't get in. Anyhow, they're at it again. I read something the other day about that they're wanting the legal right to send people virii and/or damage their computer in some other way if they're suspected of file swapping. Of course, if they turned out to be wrong, and the person was innocent, but still had their data damaged, the RIAA would be immune to a lawsuit. Just shows how greedy and rotten the RIAA is.
rolleye.gif

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
i just bought a CD yesterday... :eek: i first dled their mp3s and throught they were awesom so i bought their cd...mp3s are good...albeit the first time i bought a cd for the last 4 years

You should return it and tell the cashier that you don't purchase cd's that pay royalties to the RIAA

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: kyutip
don't forget that they are also killing small time webcaster with their greedy royalty fees.
Even a small time webcaster in university that has very small audience (100 or less) would have to pay fees.
bastards !
I was thinking of buying cd with Borders 50% off CD coupon, but now screw them. they are not getting a penny out of me.

Make sure you let Borders and these other merchants know that you are refusing to buy cd's that the RIAA have had their filthy paws on. Ask for a list so you will know which labels are ok to purchase.

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
i just bought a CD yesterday... :eek: i first dled their mp3s and throught they were awesom so i bought their cd...mp3s are good...albeit the first time i bought a cd for the last 4 years

You should return it and tell the cashier that you don't purchase cd's that pay royalties to the RIAA

While you're at it, tell the manager to tell the RIAA that you'll download the CD instead of buying it :)

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: kuk
Originally posted by: motoamd
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Heh. I don't swap songs off KaZaa. I like my .mp3's to have a bit rate a little higher than 128.
interesting, i onyl use kazaa and 95% of the songs i get are greater than 128 :)
Since when did KaZaa allow songs greater than 128? That's the only reason I never used them for MP3 d/l's. That's cool if they now allow you to 'share' 160+ bit rate songs.
You just have to disable the right registry key ... :Q;)

Would it be possible to share that information on how? Or would that be a no-no?

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: kuk
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Heh. I don't swap songs off KaZaa. I like my .mp3's to have a bit rate a little higher than 128.

interesting, i onyl use kazaa and 95% of the songs i get are greater than 128 :)
Since when did KaZaa allow songs greater than 128? That's the only reason I never used them for MP3 d/l's. That's cool if they now allow you to 'share' 160+ bit rate songs.

You just have to disable the right registry key ... :Q;)

or you install kazaa lite. plain kazaa is suck.

and if he didn't know this already, it means he didn't know plain kazaa has spyware:) haha, ur infected:)

there should be threads on kazaalite and links to download in hotdeals and software at forums.

I actually did this just last week. Found some CDs at Beast Buy I wanted to buy, noticed one of them had some stupid copy protection on it, then walked away.

oh get over it, the copy protection is absolutely useless. i ripped my celine and other "copy protected" cds just fine with eac. idon't get whats the difficulty:p

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
or you install kazaa lite. plain kazaa is suck.
and if he didn't know this already, it means he didn't know plain kazaa has spyware haha, ur infected
there should be threads on kazaalite and links to download in hotdeals and software at forums.

I have the lite verison.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001

u never noticed the search filters? audio/video etc? u can specify artist album/quality etc.

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Nefrodite
u never noticed the search filters? audio/video etc? u can specify artist album/quality etc.

Yes I have and it doesn't say anything about quality. 1.6.1 is my verison

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
oh get over it, the copy protection is absolutely useless
When you buy a copy protected CD you send the message you don't mind it's protected. If a lot of people do this they see it as validation to continue. Why encourge something you don't want to see happen?

In the future, protection schemes may be a lot tougher to bypass now that Congress is trying to mandate rights restriction technology into everything.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: bryce
There's no way the RIAA can sue even 5% of the people sharing music. Reminds me of that "homing device" that was supposedly in Photoshop 7, saying that Adobe was going to sue everybody who had an illegal copy
rolleye.gif

They don't have to. Sue 10 people and the number of people who actually share files (vs just leach them) will fall by a factor of 10 overnight. They know this, and thats why they will do it. As soon as the first link to the article went up, someone posted something about turning off their shared directories, so the RIAA started winning and didn't even file a suite yet.

IMO, P2P music networks can not work over small sizes (a couple dozen friends trading their own stuff), two many unsolvable techinical and legal problems.

Bill

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Did you all know the RIAA tried to sneak in legislation just after 9/11 that would lawfully allow them to launch denial of service attacks against file sharing networks? Luckily this was caught before the security legislation actually passed but it proves these guys will say and do anything to maintain their old business model.
STOP BUYING ALL NEW CDS!!!
thats when you buy every copy in the store, take them home, open them, then return them because they are defective (which is true if they don't conform to the CD standard, which copy-protected discs don't)

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Nefrodite

Yes I have and it doesn't say anything about quality. 1.6.1 is my verison

what? it totally does. under the search field after u choose audio theres another thing that sez more search options right under "back". its in both the older versions and 1.71 which i didn't bother installing until yesterday.

and if you update 1.6 to 1.71 using the auto update, your kazaa lite becomes kazaa normal which is limited to 128kbs:p u gotta download the new kazaalite separate.

dukdukgoos

Golden Member
Dec 1, 1999
RIAA is digging their grave deeper and deeper. They are going to build so much consumer resentment that they'll end up bringing down the whole music industry along with them. I, for one. CAN'T WAIT!! :D

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: bsobel
Originally posted by: bryce
There's no way the RIAA can sue even 5% of the people sharing music. Reminds me of that "homing device" that was supposedly in Photoshop 7, saying that Adobe was going to sue everybody who had an illegal copy
rolleye.gif

They don't have to. Sue 10 people and the number of people who actually share files (vs just leach them) will fall by a factor of 10 overnight. They know this, and thats why they will do it. As soon as the first link to the article went up, someone posted something about turning off their shared directories, so the RIAA started winning and didn't even file a suite yet.

IMO, P2P music networks can not work over small sizes (a couple dozen friends trading their own stuff), two many unsolvable techinical and legal problems.

Bill

The fbi arrested some DOD members to show the piracy "industry" that they meant business...unfortunately, it had little or no effect because the crackers just made their methods more secure and secretive...

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
The fbi arrested some DOD members to show the piracy "industry" that they meant business...unfortunately, it had little or no effect because the crackers just made their methods more secure and secretive...

The FBI arrestes are similar to the RIAA lawsuites against the P2P networks. This would be like the FBI arresting some home users who got those wares (big difference). And, as for making their methods more secure and secretive, thats what the RIAA wants. Someone asked why they haven't gotten around to hitting newsgroups yet, thats becuase they are seen as a more techinical solution that the 'masses' aren't using. If all the P2P networks gets sued out of existance, I think the RIAA would then hit the newsgroups. In the meantime the P2P networks are the 'low hanging fruit'.

Bill