RIAA shuts down Muxtape... OpenTape opens a week later

mjh

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2005
One week after the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) successfully shut down Muxtape, a new service very similar to the now defunct service has launched. The biggest difference between Muxtape and OpenTape is that OpenTape makes the users host their mixtapes on their own servers or bandwidth, instead of a central location.

OpenTape is a free, open source technology that allows users to host their own mixtapes over the Internet.

CDFreak linkage

Thoughts on this news? Is OpenTape doomed? I find the timing rather ironic and amusing, but I am sure the RIAA lawyers are already trying to figure out how to get this new service destroyed immediately.

I used Muxtape a couple of times and was sad to see it go, but haven't given OpenTape a try yet. Have any of you tried it?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'm sure the RIAA will continue working toward more draconian legislation to back their absurd positions.... and I will continue to not purchase anything that supports them.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
OiNK is another example of this. How many replacements popped up after IFPI shut it down? I think it was at least two, maybe more.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
I'm sure the RIAA will continue working toward more draconian legislation to back their absurd positions.... and I will continue to not purchase anything that supports them.

:thumbsup:

Kudos to the RIAA for bringing these services to the forefront. I didn't know about them until this thread. :laugh:

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Robor

Kudos to the RIAA for bringing these services to the forefront. I didn't know about them until this thread. :laugh:

Same here :laugh:

This isn't the first time the RIAA has brought a service into the spotlight and informed me about it either.

mjh

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2005

Glad I could help! :)

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: mjh

Glad I could help! :)

NARC!!! :laugh:

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
RIAA only has power as long as record companies keep paying them, and the record companies only get money as long as we keep buying their products. So we are financing the people suing us. If everyone just stopped buying cds altogether they'd be fucked.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
The more they pursue, the more they have to charge for music... and thus, more people that pirate or stop buying altogether.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: jonks
RIAA only has power as long as record companies keep paying them, and the record companies only get money as long as we keep buying their products. So we are financing the people suing us. If everyone just stopped buying cds altogether they'd be fucked.

Or you know... stopped breaking the law.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
Originally posted by: palehorse
This is getting ugly. The situation that I'm most concerned with at the moment is the Pandora Music issue:
RIAA May Get Its Wish: Pandora Leaning Towards Shutting Down Over Webcasting Royalties

The result could be the end of internet radio as we know it...

Stop listening to shitty music that the RIAA "protects".

most of the music I listen to isn't even controlled by the RIAA members. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to phase them in their never-ending pursuit of control of all things music.

If they had their way, they'd control every band on the planet, and they'd pay them pennies. You and I would end up having to buy 10 copies of every song; and, even then, our playback options would be limited and at their discretion.

Fuck the RIAA and the MPAA.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
Originally posted by: palehorse
This is getting ugly. The situation that I'm most concerned with at the moment is the Pandora Music issue:
RIAA May Get Its Wish: Pandora Leaning Towards Shutting Down Over Webcasting Royalties

The result could be the end of internet radio as we know it...

Stop listening to shitty music that the RIAA "protects".

i agree with your sentiment but lets be realistic..thats a lot of bands..some of them are good...i just wish they would severe their riaa connections..

you trying to tell me every single one is bad?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: LumbergTech

i agree with your sentiment but lets be realistic..thats a lot of bands..some of them are good...i just wish they would severe their riaa connections..

you trying to tell me every single one is bad?

It's not that the band is bad, it's simply that I will not pay for their music if that money will then be used to destroy my rights as a consumer. I might attend a concert, or listen to their music on the radio, but I won't buy anything.