RIAA petitions congress for permission for mass distribution of malware/ransomware

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If an unauthorized person accesses the information, a range of actions might then occur. For example, the file could be rendered inaccessible and the unauthorized user’s computer could be locked down, with instructions on how to contact law enforcement to get the password needed to unlock the account.

...including actively retrieving stolen information, altering it within the intruder’s networks, or even destroying the information within an unauthorized network. Additional measures go further, including photographing the hacker using his own system’s camera, implanting malware in the hacker’s network, or even physically disabling or destroying the hacker’s own computer or network.

These are not fabrications. These are word for word quotes from the Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property report to Congress about recommendations of how to deal with piracy of entertainment material.

I find this sort of attitude hard to understand. Surely, it can't be that long since the Sony rootkit fiasco? And yet, they're claiming that this was such a good idea, it ought to have been legal?

If this comes to pass, what liability would there be for "false positive" detections? My guess is that there would be none (in the same way that there is no penalty for a false DMCA take-down request).

More info...

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Are they going to install this Malware through software? Or are they wanting to put this on pre built computers?

Jan 25, 2011
I reading the actual report it seems that much of the ideas presented were rejected. I've added the rest of the recommendation referenced above.

http://ipcommission.org/report/IP_Commission_Report_052213.pdf

including actively retrieving stolen information, altering it within the intruder’s networks, or even destroying the information within an unauthorized network. Additional measures go further, including photographing the hacker using his own system’s camera, implanting malware in the hacker’s network, or even physically disabling or destroying the hacker’s own computer or network.

The legal underpinnings of such actions taken at network speed within the networks of hackers, even when undertaken by governments, have not yet been developed. Further, the de facto sanctioning of corporate cyber retribution is not supported by established legal precedents and norms. Part of the basis for this bias against “offensive cyber” in the law includes the potential for collateral damage on the Internet. An action against a hacker designed to recover a stolen information file or to degrade or damage the computer system of a hacker might degrade or damage the computer or network systems of an innocent third party. The challenges are compounded if the hacker is in one country and the victim in another.

For these reasons and others, the Commission does not recommend specific revised laws under present circumstances. However, current law and law-enforcement procedures simply have not kept pace with the technology of hacking and the speed of the Internet. Almost all the advantages are on the side of the hacker; the current situation is not sustainable.

Last edited:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
most likely they will flood bittorrent sites with infected files.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
People who get their stuff from torrent sites already expect the possibility of it containing a virus. I think I've suggested this several times before. I would upload my own product with a very destructive worm. Having the support of dozens of RIAA connections would make my worm software the fastest one and it would have lots of false ratings to say that it's clean.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
It probably won't take long until someone traces the malware back to the client, and gains access to a whole network of pc's.
I'm imaging a lot of guys sitting in Europe just giggling about this kind of news

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
If an unauthorized person accesses the information, a range of actions might then occur. For example, the file could be rendered inaccessible and the unauthorized user’s computer could be locked down, with instructions on how to contact law enforcement to get the password needed to unlock the account.

...including actively retrieving stolen information, altering it within the intruder’s networks, or even destroying the information within an unauthorized network. Additional measures go further, including photographing the hacker using his own system’s camera, implanting malware in the hacker’s network, or even physically disabling or destroying the hacker’s own computer or network.

I'm hard pressed to say that I've ever seen such a collection of bad ideas. Sounds like a suggestion one might find in ATOT.

I can't imagine this would be constitutional. No due process etc. Then there's collateral damage to innocent parties and other shens.

Fern

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
How are they planning to keep anti-malware programs from detecting and preventing their malware/ransomware from being installed?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Of course considering Congress is sex buddies with the RIAA, this is going to pass.

Of course they'll ensure to also make it illegal for anti malware programs to detect it and delete it. Just call it "interfering with the operations of law enforcement", or something to that extent.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Of course considering Congress is sex buddies with the RIAA, this is going to pass.

Of course they'll ensure to also make it illegal for anti malware programs to detect it and delete it. Just call it "interfering with the operations of law enforcement", or something to that extent.

exactly.

also there will be a clause that if it effects your computer and you haven't downloaded anything they are not liable.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Stuff like this just makes me not want to purchase anything by RIAA/MPAA. Out of principle. Why should I support some entity that is actively trying to screw me over?

The funniest thing is that RedBox and Netflix have done more to stop the piracy than anything RIAA/MPAA have come up so far.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
LMAO @ "hackers"

And the fact that the RIAA even asked, wanted to or proposed some of those actions should deem them worthy of being burned at the fucking stake.

Fuck the RIAA may they burn in a fire.... slowly

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Stuff like this just makes me not want to purchase anything by RIAA/MPAA. Out of principle. Why should I support some entity that is actively trying to screw me over?

The funniest thing is that RedBox and Netflix have done more to stop the piracy than anything RIAA/MPAA have come up so far.

Ding ding ding.

Imagine how many billions more in profit the dumb fucks would have made shortly after Napster if they would have adopted something similar to todays itunes/Amazon sales model? Thats what people wanted, they didn't want to spend $20 on a CD with 2 songs they actually wanted to hear. How long did it take them to finally allow people to legally purchase the content they wanted in the format they wanted?

It doesn't justify piracy but people want relatively instant access to content and they want it in an easy to use non-bullshit format. They are perfectly willing to pay a reasonable price for that as well but when they make it either absurdly expensive, time consuming, or just a pain in the ass to purchase it..... its quicker and easier to pirate it.

If those idiots ever figure out how to give consumers completely instant access to basically all TV content they will make a freaking fortune. An example would be having no cable subscription but being able to subscribe to ESPN through a smart TV, boxee, roku, whatever. Even better would be able to pay for specific live programs but I highly doubt they would price that anywhere near reasonable.

Thats pie in the sky stuff though. To many content providers also make a ton of money selling cable TV subscriptions and the industry has NEVER been forward looking enough to do something like this until they are literally dragged kicking and screaming the entire way. Same fuckers that tried to get VCRs banned and then wound up making unthinkable amounts of money off of it.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
And, it would take how long before someone developed an anti-virus app to take care of this??

Oh, easily with in a few hours of it going public, within 24 hours it would be on every torrent site, and their whole plan would be destroyed.

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
Are they going to install this Malware through software? Or are they wanting to put this on pre built computers?

They'll probably first make every CD/DVD and Blu-Ray require special software to view on a computer which installs this malware, then they'll pay Dell to covertly preinstall it on all computers.

So it doesn't really have any effect on people like me who custom build computers, run linux, and never buy music or movies in digital format.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh, easily with in a few hours of it going public, within 24 hours it would be on every torrent site, and their whole plan would be destroyed.

Kind of like Sony's copy protection years back, that could be defeated with a Sharpie! LOL. :awe: I don't remember how long it took for someone to figure that out but don't think it was that long.