RIAA = asses

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
That's probably against the law (I hope). If it's not, there's a huge double standard in our legal system, because individuals who carry out those actions would be prosecuted.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Heh, reguardless of how you look at it. They have a right to delete your music that has been illegally downloaded. I bet Macaffe and Norton are going to have some intense sales.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Tabb
Heh, reguardless of how you look at it. They have a right to delete your music that has been illegally downloaded. I bet Macaffe and Norton are going to have some intense sales.

Yeah, I can just see it now. RIAA/MPAA sues symantec & mcaffe for $1,000,000,000,000 for blocking their illegal acces of your computer. LOL.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Heh, reguardless of how you look at it. They have a right to delete your music that has been illegally downloaded.
No, in fact, they don't. They have a right to file a civil lawsuit to recover damages. They might have a right to contact legal authorities and press for criminal charges depending upon what you did. They absolutely do not have the right to take matters into their own hands. This is vigilantism, and it is against the law.

(Note that RIAA tried to buy a law that would have legalized their intrusions into private property - others' computer systems and networks - but so far, at least, they haven't bought enough Congressmen to get it passed.)

The RIAA is a corrupt bunch who actively attacks the interests of consumers and musicians alike. Their day has passed; the sooner they are driven out of business, the better.

cpumaster

Dec 10, 2000
well, I guess the new slogan in RIAA is "desperate situation call for desperate measure", losing $4.3bil in sales annually kinda stung their pre-historic a$$es
btw, how do they figure they lost $4.3bil anyway? compare to avg last year/decade sales?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

Um no they don't. If i go out and imitate a McDonald's restaurant, McD doesn't have the right to come burn it down.

cpumaster

Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Moralpanic

Um no they don't. If i go out and imitate a McDonald's restaurant, McD doesn't have the right to come burn it down.

that's funny LOL
but I bet McD will try to do something if your imitation restaurant caused them to lose $4.3 billions annually... :)

Leon

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 1999
Ignoring the legality of such program, I wonder how it is suppose to distinguish between mp3 music files and mp3 music/sounds that come with the games today?

Leon

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: cpumaster
well, I guess the new slogan in RIAA is "desperate situation call for desperate measure", losing $4.3bil in sales annually kinda stung their pre-historic a$$es
btw, how do they figure they lost $4.3bil anyway? compare to avg last year/decade sales?

While the RIAA is whining about its losses to Internet downloading, it conveniently forgets to mention that it has cut the number of titles released each year by roughly one-third, and it has continued to raise prices on new releases. Couple this with a lousy economy and the run-away success of DVD sales, and it's no wonder their total sales are down. When you consider the reduced selection of new titles, their average unit sales per title are actually up. So are their average profits per new title.

Most of the major media seem to miss this little detail when they reprint RIAA press releases as news articles.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Leon
Ignoring the legality of such program, I wonder how it is suppose to distinguish between mp3 music files and mp3 music/sounds that come with the games today?

Leon

Or from MP3s you have legitimately ripped from CDs you own.

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
I find it hard to beleive that even the RIAA can be that stupid.... If they release some kind of virus they'll be comminting corporate suicide.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Spyro
I find it hard to beleive that even the RIAA can be that stupid.... If they release some kind of virus they'll be comminting corporate suicide.

I haven't noticed a whole lot of intelligence coming out of the RIAA. Smart businesses don't usually call their customers thieves, or at least not to their faces. The RIAA has been so openly hostile to consumers it's no wonder many people don't feel guilty about copying songs.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Heh, reguardless of how you look at it. They have a right to delete your music that has been illegally downloaded.
No, in fact, they don't. They have a right to file a civil lawsuit to recover damages. They might have a right to contact legal authorities and press for criminal charges depending upon what you did. They absolutely do not have the right to take matters into their own hands. This is vigilantism, and it is against the law.

(Note that RIAA tried to buy a law that would have legalized their intrusions into private property - others' computer systems and networks - but so far, at least, they haven't bought enough Congressmen to get it passed.)

The RIAA is a corrupt bunch who actively attacks the interests of consumers and musicians alike. Their day has passed; the sooner they are driven out of business, the better.

They absolutely do not have the right to take matters into their own hands. This is vigilantism, and it is against the law.

You and most of the general public haven't been paying attention. They have in fact "bought" enough congressman. They have been doing it quietly for the past 2 years and was just recently discovered as 11 States have passed thier own version of "Super DMCA" Laws.

These "NEW" Laws supercede all previous Computer Laws and does in fact place the Power of prosecution into Private Corporate America hands. The Laws allow search and seizure (automatic deleting), freezing of accounts all without due process, No Judge neccessary, No Subpoena's.

See the sdmca thread in here.

cpumaster

Dec 10, 2000
that's a stupid law, if I own a company and one of their virus destroyed all of my recorded presentation (in MP3 format), can I go and kill any RIAA reps I can find using this law?