Rhode Island To Leave Christmas Out Of Tree Ceremony

Apr 27, 2012
So Rhode Island will be having a tree lighting ceremony but instead of calling it a Christmas tree they will call it a "holiday tree". This is part of an effort to make this time of year more secular. It is a Christmas tree not a holiday tree

This is also political correctness run amok since its being done not to offend anyone. White liberals dont want to offend anyone so they use the wrong term.

They need to call this a Christmas tree and stop the political correctness which is out of control

Do you agree that it should be called a Christmas tree and that political correctness has run amok?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/28/uk-usa-rhodeisland-tree-idUSLNE8AR01820121128

Last edited:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I rather leave Religion out of it all together and just leave it at just another Holiday to blow your cash on.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Thread needs a poll.

And no, I don't care that they're leaving the word Christmas out. The Christmas tree has it's roots in a pagan ritual.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
So Rhode Island will be having a tree lighting ceremony but instead of calling it a Christmas tree they will call it a "holiday tree". This is part of an effort to make this time of year more secular. It is a Christmas tree not a holiday tree

This is also political correctness run amok since its being done not to offend anyone. White liberals dont want to offend anyone so they use the wrong term.

They need to call this a Christmas tree and stop the political correctness which is out of control

Do you agree that it should be called a Christmas tree and that political correctness has run amok?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/28/uk-usa-rhodeisland-tree-idUSLNE8AR01820121128

Why do you need to see/hear them call it what you want it called?

They're not dictating what you or anyone else can call it, so why are you so up in arms over what they call it?

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
It depends. Does the word "Christmas" have a religious connotation? If it is just a word for the holiday, then leave the name. If it is somehow a Christian only holiday, then use "Holiday Tree". Why try to exclude those Jews, Muslims, Atheist that pay taxes and want to enjoy the celebration? Don't do the majority mob rule (ie. most people there are Christian, so too bad!), that is not a good enough reason.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I'll second the request for a poll.

I don't mind anyone calling it a holiday tree but for me it will always be a Christmas tree. And no, it's not political correctness run amok.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'll second the request for a poll.

I don't mind anyone calling it a holiday tree but for me it will always be a Christmas tree. And no, it's not political correctness run amok.

I would say PC running amok would be canceling the celebration altogether.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
The bottom line is that neither "people" like Incorruptible (because I still think it's a sophisticated bot) nor Atheists/Jews/Muslims/etc should care what their city/state/municipality calls whatever celebration/holiday happens to come along.

Who cares if they call it a holiday tree and, conversely, who cares if some city in a deeply religious area calls it a Christmas tree?

You can always call it whatever you want. Until or unless that changes, you really have no claim on what they call it.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I thought SCOTUS has already established that Christmas with Santa Claus and reindeer and other bs has very little to do with Jebus at this point.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
the bottom line is that neither "people" like incorruptible (because i still think it's a sophisticated bot) nor atheists/jews/muslims/etc should care what their city/state/municipality calls whatever celebration/holiday happens to come along.

Who cares if they call it a holiday tree and, conversely, who cares if some city in a deeply religious area calls it a christmas tree?

you can always call it whatever you want. Until or unless that changes, you really have no claim on what they call it.

lmao +1

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
They should definitely stop this rebranding madness. Everyone knows that it's Yule.

Apr 27, 2012
It depends. Does the word "Christmas" have a religious connotation? If it is just a word for the holiday, then leave the name. If it is somehow a Christian only holiday, then use "Holiday Tree". Why try to exclude those Jews, Muslims, Atheist that pay taxes and want to enjoy the celebration? Don't do the majority mob rule (ie. most people there are Christian, so too bad!), that is not a good enough reason.

Many people who ARE NOT Christian celebrate Christmas and call it a Christmas tree. There really isn't a religious connotation because to most people its not even about religion anymore.

Keep the Christmas tree and no to holiday tree

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Many people who ARE NOT Christian celebrate Christmas and call it a Christmas tree. There really isn't a religious connotation because to most people its not even about religion anymore.

Keep the Christmas tree and no to holiday tree

You still haven't explained why you care so much about what they call it.

Let me explain it to you more plainly: You can call it whatever you want to call it, and so can everyone else.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

So one town in Rhode Island out of 500 calling it a holiday tree is worthy of national outrage against liberals as the war on Christmas is on????

PLEASE!

BTW - Those liberal commies at Fox News joined the war...
happy%20holidays.jpg

Apr 27, 2012
You still haven't explained why you care so much about what they call it.

Let me explain it to you more plainly: You can call it whatever you want to call it, and so can everyone else.

I care because I dont like what there doing and this isn't right. It has always been a Christmas tree and what other holidays use this tree?

They wont admit this but its just them being PC so not to offend anyone even though many minorities aren't offended its just dumb white liberals

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Please respect Faux News' copywrit rights when discussing the War on Christmas (R).

Nominal Christians sure have thin skins when they demand that all of us use the same rightwing politically correct terms as they use.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I care because I dont like what there doing and this isn't right. It has always been a Christmas tree and what other holidays use this tree?

They wont admit this but its just them being PC so not to offend anyone even though many minorities aren't offended its just dumb white liberals

There is only one solution, replace it all with a Festivus pole.