Rhapsody in Blue, countdown to its 100th year of existence...

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
To think it might have never existed at all...

Following the success of an experimental classical-jazz concert held with Canadian singer Éva Gauthier in New York City on November 1, 1923, bandleader Paul Whiteman decided to attempt a more ambitious feat.[2] He asked composer George Gershwin to write a concerto-like piece for an all-jazz concert in honor of Lincoln's Birthday to be given at Aeolian Hall.[11] Whiteman became fixated upon performing such an extended composition by Gershwin after he collaborated with him in The Scandals of 1922.[12] He had been especially impressed by Gershwin's one-act "jazz opera" Blue Monday.[13] Gershwin initially declined Whiteman's request on the grounds that—as there would likely be a need for revisions to the score—he would have insufficient time to compose the work.[14]

Soon after, on the evening of January 3, George Gershwin and lyricist Buddy DeSylva were playing billiards at the Ambassador Billiard Parlor at Broadway and 52nd Street in Manhattan.[15] Their game was interrupted by Ira Gershwin, George's brother, who had been reading the January 4 edition of the New-York Tribune.[16] An unsigned article entitled "What Is American Music?" about an upcoming Whiteman concert had caught Ira's attention.[15] The article falsely declared that George Gershwin was already "at work on a jazz concerto" for Whiteman's concert.[17]

Gershwin was puzzled by the news announcement as he had politely declined to compose any such work for Whiteman.[18][19] In a telephone conversation with Whiteman the next morning, Gershwin was informed that Whiteman's arch rival Vincent Lopez was planning to steal the idea of his experimental concert and there was no time to lose.[20] Gershwin was thus finally persuaded by Whiteman to compose the piece.[20]

Reactions: lxskllr

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Now days I bet most people think of United Airlines when they hear Rhapsody. And a slightly older crowd thinks of the Lone Ranger when they hear the William Tell Overture.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Now days I bet most people think of United Airlines when they hear Rhapsody. And a slightly older crowd thinks of the Lone Ranger when they hear the William Tell Overture.
I don't remember how I first heard it. But the first time I heard the opening on classical radio...the opening sounded familiar yet I can't recall where I heard it.....it might have been a United commercial. Both the opening and the "Romantic lyrical" theme were somehow already familiar to me despite not having any memory of hearing them...

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Not long ago Turner Classic Movies TCM aired the movie Rhapsody in Blue (1945). Interesting historical account. I was surprised he died so young.