RH Linux 7.2 - Sound card is handled by what? xfree86...?

SamDav

Jan 13, 2002
Hello!

I recently tried to install Red Hat Linux 7.2 and the computer freezes when Gnome tries to start. I checked the official site and it seems that it?s a problem with the SoundBlaster Live Value that I have. I installed KDE instead and the KDE starts but without sound. What should I upgrade. I mean the sound card is handled by what? Is it xfree86, kernel or something else? Thanks!

cleverhandle

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2001
Sound is handled by the kernel. The Live! series uses the emu10k1 code, which can be compiled as a module (i.e. you can turn it on or off) or compiled directly into the kernel. I don't know exactly where your problem is, though - sounds very RH specific, since I've used my Live Value in many distributions and window manager/desktops without issue. Sorry...

SamDav

Jan 13, 2002
Thanks! With what command can I find out which version of kernel I have and where can I find pre-built kernel updates? www.kernel.org seems that contains only source files.

i8mywindpipe

Jan 8, 2001
<With what command can I find out which version of kernel I have>

Open up a terminal window ie) Under Menu go Terminals,Shell.
Then type: uname -r
This should display what kernel you have ie) 2.4.8-26
Thats what i get, i'm running Mandrake 8.1

Hope this is what you wanted :)
Im new to LINUX so....

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

<< Thanks! With what command can I find out which version of kernel I have and where can I find pre-built kernel updates? www.kernel.org seems that contains only source files. >>

Check creative's site for modules for the card. They may have one. I do recommend building your own kernel though, its quite an experience. :)